Soap storylines in WWE/WWF

ER Tosh

• Members

No, i dont think PB passed until after this weeks RAW was over, they did show old clips of him but I dont recall it being a RIP thing, just because it was classic raw.

the ring, costumes, music, everything was old school, tons of old superstars returned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-neTHDeP4&feature=youtube_gdata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWyaWe_460

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*sighs* sad.png

Paul Bearer was definitely one of the best managers/characters that emerged WWE. I remember being scared of him and his story with the introduction of Kane was endearing.

His death makes me think of all the great stories & characters that WWE use to have before they went PG. closedeyes.jpg Thank you, Linda McMahon and your ambitions of wanting to be in politics, which will NEVER happen, that made WWE the unwatchable, predictable crap that is today. Thank you. . .

• Members

I got chills with Undertaker's return. His entrance music always gives me the heebie jeebies and he plays evil well. I've always wondered if he practices occult in real life. The story lines are so predictable I knew Punk would win the for way match to compete against 'Taker.

The Rock is boring me. He stopped being "the most electrifying man in sports entertainment" for years and his verbal smackdowns are corny.

• Members

The Rock IMO is the only bright spot in WWE, but I don't agree with their decision to make him WWE champion. And I'm over Cena. Like over him. Unless he goes heel again, Cena is worthless. Plus I'm over his 5 moves of doom. WWE's problem are (and the reason ratings have plummet to h*ll):

1. It's PG. They placed all their eggs on the youth . . . and I mean youth when wrestling's target audience has always been males 18 to 45. They are the mass consumers. Not a 12 year old.

2. That they push the same people over and over--Randy, John, CM Punk, Big Show, Del Rio. It's getting old. Why hasn't Kofi, Dolph, R-Truth, and many more held the major titles?

3. There are no stories! No promos! None whatsoever. It's like they throw darts on a board and pray they stick. No long term projections at all. Another thing is that they don't have stories (with AJ being the exception) of women interacting with men physically and story-wise anymore. It was a great way to put the women over with the audience, and give the men a chance to break from the norm. They rely too heavily on the fact that fans will rush to YT or WWE.com to see backstage segments and they don't care. Put them on the main show to build up story.

4. They put too much emphasis on the main eventers and not enough on the mid to lower cards. The mid to lower division have no stories and that is a tragedy. There is no balance, and low to mid card is supposed to build future stars. They're not. And the tag team & women division is abysmal and those were two divisions that I can remember LOVING. '99-early '05 was their golden era: The Hardys/E&C/Acolytes/Dudleyz/Too Cool/World's Greatest Tag Team/Los Guerreros/Las Resistance, etc & divas like Trish/Jazz/Jackie/Torrie/Tori/Stephanie/Lita/Dawn, etc. was a gold mine! Now . . . they have nothing.

That's my gripe with WWE @ the moment.

• Members

I really don't think being pg is as big of an issue as some. Tho I do think hey could benefit from what raw did when it was raw is war and the second half - or now third hour - is a little bit more than the first part. Smack down has always basically been played as pg. The biggest issue is in the talent, push & stories.

• Members

I think the MAIN issue with Smackdown is that it is no longer taped live. People can just go and look up spoilers and decide whether or not they want to watch. SD needs to go back to being taped live like it was about 10 years ago. Also, Vince needs to decide whether or not he wants to have two brand shows or revert back to the old days pre-Alliance where everyone was on both shows and there was ONE main-event title, ONE set of tag titles, a couple of mid/lower card titles, and a women's title. Either way, he needs to stick to ONE format. But I think the dual brand is better b/c superstars didn't get burnt out, everyone had equal opportunity to get showcased, and people stayed with their respected shows until the draft occurred and things were shaken up.

And I'm all for RAW reverting to Raw the first hour and then becoming an edgier RAW is WAR the second hour. Vince needs to appease to all his audience--especially men 18-45, who introduce future generations to wrestling, and who has money to buy the ticket and merchandise.

I think I am a spoiled wrestling fan b/c when I was watching religiously, the show was on point from start to finish. All talent got showcased and stories were epic. I think that build up to Wrestlemania nowadays isn't what it used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Happy for Kreizman! He's a good writer and deserves to be employed. I had a feeling he was working for or trying to work for the WWE based on some of the people he'd added to his Twitter.. He also has a real-life amateur wrestling background.

Wrestling is pretty much always boring though ... I don't know how y'all can watch it.

• Members

It really was not always boring, depending on which era you watched. LOVED it during the 90s and then it got played out. If I watch its for filler or because they have one or two talents that ia ctually like and for the most part it is rather amusing what with Vickie always screaming EXCUSE ME! and AJ Lee is my darlin' right now.

• Members

As far as I can tell, the news is he's been on the writing staff for a few months but he just got promoted to a head writer position. The tweet from this Court Bauer person stated, "David Kreizman, who started with #WWE months ago is now a WWE head writer. He is a Daytime Emmy award winning soap opera writer."

Also, being a head writer does not necessarily mean much influence, per this tweet:

"Court Bauer@courtbauer 22 Mar

@cmblasko The title doesn’t carry the power, influence, money or responsibility it did when I was there. He’s a “general” head writer."

• Members

Head writer or not, he's been on the writing team for months and IMO it has gotten pretty bad

I can't stand AJ now and I fell in love with her last year (there was a lot of discussion about her in this thread). They made a huge mistake firing her as GM of raw and turning her into another basic ringside antagonist. She's so unwatchable now w/Dolph!

• Members

I started watching bc you got me hooked on AJ, but her storyline is HORRIBLE! She's was killing it as the boss of Raw, but they downgraded her to simply being Dolph's gf, not even throwing her into the Divas division and letting her get a chance at championship. The fed with Vickie fizzled out and they didn't do anything with it once she stole her man and basically her role is being the big sl-t of the company. Embarassing! The divas? Awful! The storylines there if you can even call it that are so basic and pathetic and everything else is predictable

Archived