Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soap storylines in WWE/WWF

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 ER Tosh

ER Tosh

Contract

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

As many people were saying in the AMC/OLTL thread, WWE has had a lot of great Soap storylines in the past (Most of them being from around 1998 to 2001). I personally loved the short lived Kurt Angle/Stephanie/Triple H triangle. What was your favorites?

#2 AllMyDaysatGH

AllMyDaysatGH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

I used to be a HUGE, I mean HUGE fan of WWE/WWF. I cannot stomach what it has turned into these days :( I unfortunately stopped watching faithfully in 2007.

Even though I don't watch, I still collect the video games. I get them every year when they come out. LOL. I have every single one, going back to "WWF Smackdown!" for the Playstation Posted ImagePosted Image

When I used to watch, and I'm being serious, I legit did not realize that any of it was fake. LOL. I didn't think of anything that was going on as "storylines"! I thought that stuff was real!

My all time FAVE S/L in the WWE was The Hardy Boys/Lita. Anything surrounding them I just loved. I loved Matt/Lita

fave scene ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWEqWeW3v4

#3 AllMyDaysatGH

AllMyDaysatGH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Stephanie

LOVE this bitch! I used to be obsessed with her & still kind of am.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

I was NEVER into wrestling ("rasslin"), but good lord, it was all the rage in the second, third, and fourth grade. My dad's co-worker's son was around my age and we were friends, and he had allllll of the video games, so I'd play those with him. He made me watch sometimes, and all I remember is someone pouring beer on Vince McMahon/Michael Muhney.

And of course I loved me some Rock...

I remember all of the big names, though. The Undertaker, Stone Cold, Gold Dust, Chyna, Tori, Kane (Undertaker's brother), The Big Show, Bret and Owen (RIP) Hart, Mr. Ass (who helped me along my gayboy journey, what with words emblazoned on his ass), Booker T., Rikishi, Yokozuna, Razor Ramon, Diesel, etc.

Edited by All My Shadows, 02 April 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#5 ER Tosh

ER Tosh

Contract

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

I was just thinking of all the real life drama going on behind the scenes during those years like Hunter cheated on Chyna with Steph (and later really marrying her) Plus Lita cheating on Matt with Edge.

#6 AllMyDaysatGH

AllMyDaysatGH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

Got me on youTube in a nostalgic frenzy looking at old clips now!!

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi-vAkkJzn4

He made me watch once, and all I remember is someone pouring beer on Vince McMahon/Michael Muhney.

Pouring or spraying?? I remember Stone Cold spraying him & the corporation with beer from his beer truck. He might of had some poured on him at one point on the show to but i cant remember..

omg!! one of the best moments on WWF. Such good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82_bqMRDiU&feature=related

Edited by AllmyDaysatGH, 02 April 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#7 AllMyDaysatGH

AllMyDaysatGH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

I remember all of the big names, though. The Undertaker, Stone Cold, Gold Dust, Chyna, Tori, Kane (Undertaker's brother), The Big Show, Bret and Owen (RIP) Hart, Mr. Ass (who helped me along my gayboy journey, what with words emblazoned on his ass), Booker T., Rikishi, Yokozuna, Razor Ramon, Diesel, etc.

STOP! :( I miss all of those wrestlers!

Rikishi LOL omg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTHTgUtUlM

I was just thinking of all the real life drama going on behind the scenes during those years like Hunter cheated on Chyna with Steph (and later really marrying her) Plus Lita cheating on Matt with Edge.

I HATED Lita/Edge. All of that was just terrible. I hate what they turned Edge into. Everything went downhill for Lita at that point and she basically lost all of her fans. I was so sad when she left the show :(

#8 London

London

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

LOVED WWF/E vs. WCW/ECW -- never forget that!

I also loved that crazy ass s/l when Undertaker took Steph and made plans to make her his bride and Vince was groveling for Austin's help to get her back and he just kept turning him down left and right.

#9 London

London

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

I felt so bad fo Chyna when I read her book and she went into detail about that. I still think she never completely got over that. Her life is such a mess now and she ended up being with X-Pac (I forget his real name) irl and they were in a domestic abuse relationship.

#10 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Not a soap storyline, but one of the most memorable fights I ever saw. It was Hulk vs Andre, only evil Ted DiBiasi (the greatest soap villain ever for my money) had a sneaky plan.

#11 ER Tosh

ER Tosh

Contract

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Not a soap storyline, but one of the most memorable fights I ever saw. It was Hulk vs Andre, only evil Ted DiBiasi (the greatest soap villain ever for my money) had a sneaky plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_cKOe7MnDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ81ss6ORso&feature=related

I love that crazy Hogan interview.

#12 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

Watching that again, I am reminded just how great Mean Gene was in playing the straight man to all these lunatics. He conducted every interview as if he was in the white house press corp.

I was looking for one storyline but I think it was probably too obscure. There used to be a tagteam called The British Bulldogs, and they had this canine mascot named Matilda. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan I think it was engineered to have Matilda kidnapped during a match. Without Matilda at ringside, the Bulldogs could not win a match threafter. Somehow a rescue was committed and Matilda was saved, but she (the bulldog) was so despondent about the whole ordeal she no longer wanted to live. Luckily, millions of letters poured in to Matilda, she read them, and all that love raised her spirits and she rallied. It was something like that.

#13 ER Tosh

ER Tosh

Contract

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

Watching that again, I am reminded just how great Mean Gene was in playing the straight man to all these lunatics. He conducted every interview as if he was in the white house press corp.

I was looking for one storyline but I think it was probably too obscure. There used to be a tagteam called The British Bulldogs, and they had this canine mascot named Matilda. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan I think it was engineered to have Matilda kidnapped during a match. Without Matilda at ringside, the Bulldogs could not win a match threafter. Somehow a rescue was committed and Matilda was saved, but she (the bulldog) was so despondent about the whole ordeal she no longer wanted to live. Luckily, millions of letters poured in to Matilda, she read them, and all that love raised her spirits and she rallied. It was something like that.

I think I saw that on WWE classic on demand service. Now why can't soaps have a service like that?

#14 Marley

Marley

Contract

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

I love how WWE incorporates the backstage drama into their storylines. Still to this day I don't know whether Matt storming the arena was kayfabe or real (I'm thinking kayfabe since he must've gotten into the arena somehow). Man, Lita was so hated after that.

Stephanie McMahon is awesome. She belongs in the great women of soaps thread :wub: :wub:

The montreal screwjob is another moment that is just fantastic AND real!!!

The Trish/Vince/Linda stuff was great as well, wasn't Linda paralyzed in a wheelchair?

#15 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,137 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

LOVE this bitch! I used to be obsessed with her & still kind of am.

Posted Image

Me too! I also loved it when she was feuding with this bitch, whom I loved to hate

Posted Image

#16 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

I stopped watching wrestling around 2002, I think. But yeah, loved it when I was younger/in my teens. Stephanie is one of the greatest characters ever - man, what a bitch. LOL That whole HHH/Steph wedding storyline was so good.

I liked WCW too in the 90's when Nash and Razor Ramon invaded WCW and there was this whole secret as who the 3rd person will be....who turned about to be Hulk Hogan!

Also, gotta mention the hot chicks of wrestling. First being Miss Elizabeth of course. Then in the 90's Sunny, then later Torrie Wilson, Stacy Kiebler, and now Kelly Kelly (though I don't watch wrestling now, I definitely know of her LOL).

#17 Becki

Becki

Roman Reigns Supreme

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

I didn't grow up watching WWE/WWF since I grew up in the south. WCW (well, technically it was still Georgia Championship wresting and Mid South at the time) was my domain. Until Bitchoff (misspelling intentional) took over WCW I loved it, but he was such an arrogant ass and IMO ruined the entire company. I remember watching matches that went on for an hour or more and now you're lucky if you see one that lasts more than 5 minutes. It seems to all be about the 'entertainment' and not so much about the athletic ability of the guys anymore. I LOVE that clip of Stephanie slapping Eric. NO ONE deserves to be slapped more than he does.

But as I had kids of my own and they started watching I came to know who many of the WWE guys were. There are many that I sincerely respect....Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and The Undertaker being the top three. They respect the business of wrestling and all the guys that came before them and I always appreciate that. So many of the guys I grew up watching are dead now(including Elizabeth, Toups).

Edited by Becki, 03 April 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#18 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

CHARITY - The last BITCH left standing!

• Members
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

I stopped watching wrestling around 2002, I think. But yeah, loved it when I was younger/in my teens. Stephanie is one of the greatest characters ever - man, what a bitch. LOL That whole HHH/Steph wedding storyline was so good.

I liked WCW too in the 90's when Nash and Razor Ramon invaded WCW and there was this whole secret as who the 3rd person will be....who turned about to be Hulk Hogan!

Also, gotta mention the hot chicks of wrestling. First being Miss Elizabeth of course. Then in the 90's Sunny, then later Torrie Wilson, Stacy Kiebler, and now Kelly Kelly (though I don't watch wrestling now, I definitely know of her LOL).

Mentioning the women of wrestling and forgetting Sable is a complete sinned and you should be banned from existence from here on out! :) And hey, I know you can't resist the womanly wiles for Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young!!!

When Vince McMahon took over the WWF (I refuse to call it WWE, f*ck that damn wildlife foundation ;) ) the company had a good 15 years of complete awesomeness. The whole WCW/ECW invasion completely ruined it all and the show has been utter crap ever since.

Edited by Amello, 03 April 2011 - 08:46 AM.

#19 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

Wow, how did I forget Sable! And Kimberly Page too! My bad. LOL Loved the whole Sable/Torrie Wilson angle (the striptease competitions....the kiss!) and of course their duo Playboy photoshoot. :D

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of WCW/ECW merging into the WWF either. The first invasion, WWF invading WCW was awesome though. WCW was beating WWF in the ratings and there was the whole "Monday Night Wars" thing (ie. Bishoff would read the WWF results on Nitro because Nitro was live and Raw was taped). That was such a good in wrestling because both companies pushed each other, which led to a better product, in the mid 90's. By late 90's WCW was starting to fade.

#20 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

CHARITY - The last BITCH left standing!

• Members
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Wow, how did I forget Sable! And Kimberly Page too! My bad. LOL Loved the whole Sable/Torrie Wilson angle (the striptease competitions....the kiss!) and of course their duo Playboy photoshoot. :D

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of WCW/ECW merging into the WWF either. The first invasion, WWF invading WCW was awesome though. WCW was beating WWF in the ratings and there was the whole "Monday Night Wars" thing (ie. Bishoff would read the WWF results on Nitro because Nitro was live and Raw was taped). That was such a good in wrestling because both companies pushed each other, which led to a better product, in the mid 90's. By late 90's WCW was starting to fade.

That's because the only good thing about WCW was how they stole people from the WWF. Once that factor wore off, WCW was a snooze. The whole NWO thing got so convoluted and ridiculous and was basically the only thing WCW ever did. Plus, barely anyone from WCW became a huge wrestling star, aside from Sting. I don't count people like Jericho, because WWF made them a big name.

And for the record, I despise Hulk Hogan. I don't see why people loved him so much. One of the worst wrestlers of all time. Macho Man Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ravishing Rick Rude, et cetera, were so much more entertaining to me and they could actually wrestle.

And we must give Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker kudos for their complete loyalty. And Bret Hart probably would have stayed with the WWF too if he hadn't been screwed.

Now, best/favourite match of all time: The Undertaker vs. Mankind: HELL IN A CELL & BURIED ALIVE. These matches changed wrestling forever.

Edited by Amello, 03 April 2011 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users