Shameless

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Good [!@#$%^&*] GRIEF. I don't know what I was expecting this show to do for me this season besides raise my blood pressure. 

I CAN'T with them having Carl utter the N word. WTF?? What even is this RACIST ass storyline they have going with him now?

I'll see what everyone else has to say before I get too deep.

Edited by AllMyDaysatGH

• Members

what? I didnt realize this was back already. I saw the episode and also upset that they are continuing with this stupid story with Carl and its gotten even worse

I was wondering why Micky was in jail. For trying to kill Sammy? Ugh! They better get him off bc it would suck to lose him bc of that waste of space

LMAO at Debbie's failed attempt at trapping her guy. What a nutjob

Fiona stay cheating on her men. Second guy she's fooled around on her husband with

Frank screwing the spirit of that dead woman on top of her grave....gross. He should be arrested

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I was more disturbed wby the guy who said he was going to rape f@ck the dike out of those lesbos until they were begging for more of his dick.  Sure, having Carl say "what's up my..." to his little brother was messed up as well. 

I was hoping Carl would be off the show, if I'm honest. This show needs dark comedy to be interesting, but there isn't much funny about knowing that a kid is going to be spending the rest of his life going in and out of prison.

Debbie's story also isn't at all funny. Debbie's case is even sadder because she spent so much time longing for a mother figure, she gave up and is trying to get love by being a mother.  She's in for one hell of a wake up call. I won't be surprised if the father's parents take the kid from her. It won't be hard given that she's living with at least two felons.

Maybe it's just that Carl and Debbie are living the cycle of poverty and drugs even more than Fiona and the other kids that makes it so sad to watch. Not sure I'm in for the whole season.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Hoping to finish S5 before S6 officially starts. I just watched episode 8.

I'm sorry, guys, but I was completely team Sammi through the whole Carl/Chuckie drug thing. Carl is a piece of [!@#$%^&*] who strapped drugs on someone else and then allowed him to get arrested for it. I'm sick to DEATH of damn near everyone on this show just excusing themselves of the crimes of they commit because apparently laws don't apply to them. Not only that, but the utter indignance that always crops up when other people don't bend over backwards to protect their law-breaking asses. Case in point, the white hot fire that existed in me when Debbie and Fiona were mad at the pharmacist for not just giving them pills for Ian. She TOLD them that it was against the law and she'd lose her job, but they still stood there with their mouths open. Get some fckn morals.

The Lip story is representative of this show's worst characteristic, that of constant going back in circles when characters show growth. Here we go again with Lip devolving for...what reason, again? I liked the scene with him at the financial aid office, but I'm over him for now if this drug dealing thing continues. How embarrassing that two of Fiona's brothers are dealing drugs. Boy, she sure did do a great job raising her siblings. I'm so glad Carl and Liam didn't stay in that safe, sane foster home they were in a few seasons ago...

I'm sick of hearing references to Monica at this point. They are literally hitting us over the head with the "Ian is Monica!" narrative, and I'm so over everyone acting as if Monica is the scum of the Earth for being bipolar and leaving them while Frank gets a free pass even as he continues to care not a single f!ck about anyone but himself, which just goes without saying now that we're six seasons in. In the end, I think they've made a major misstep in taking Ian in this direction. He was always the mopey, introverted Gallagher, but now that's keyed up several levels, and it's frustrating and hard to watch. Mickey, on the other hand, is getting some good development out of this, and I loved him finally appearing and sliding into bed with Ian. So sweet!

I'm over the Kevin/Veronica thing. I'm glad Veronica called the randomly turnt Fiona out on the sidewalk for getting loud about V going on a date, and I'm just as glad that the date was over in two seconds. I need for them to either make Svetlana a real character or stop using her for shock value. She was starting to make sense in the Mickey/Ian sphere, but randomly having her be a random ho for Kevin and Veronica demotes the character again. I don't care about Kevin sleeping with college girls. It's the culmination of two stories that have me disappointed in characters that I used to love, so I can't bear to even think about it.

Fiona's romantic troubles are almost on level with anything Frank-related in that I just do not give a damn.

• Members

"Free pass" wasn't the right term for me to use there. My thing is that we frequently hear the characters speak of Monica as the root of all that's gone wrong for the family. Monica cried, Monica slept, Monica left, etc. This episode did touch on the idea that Frank became the way he is because of Monica's downward spiral, but I'm positive it's been well-established that he was a piece of [!@#$%^&*] even when they met. Maybe it's the idea that the kids lived through Monica's fall from grace and feel betrayal because she was, at one point, a real adult in their lives before she developed all of her problems, idk.

My point is if Monica appeared at the door right now, they'd all tell her to go away, but Frank lives to fck things up another day.

• Members

I just watched #10, "South Side Rules," and just judging on the title, I knew this episode was going to have a lot to piss me off!

First, I LOVE the college professor for calling Lip out on the very "South Side" sh!t that this episode was named after. That's always the motive with these people, that their thuggery is excused because it lives up to a certain gangsta honor code. "Oh, Kev has three kids to support, I can't turn him in blah blah blah" Then maybe Kevin shouldn't selling illegal drugs to college students while illegally living in a college dorm. At one point do these characters take responsibility for their actions? No one ever seems to understand that they get in trouble for doing illegal things; no, they believe they get in trouble because someone "ratted" them out. Lip rises above this from time to time, which is why he's usually my favorite character, but even he goes right back into it, and I'm sure it'll happen again in season 6.

Second, I was VERY disturbed by the cliched scene of Mickey and Ian beating each other up then having sex. Ian's comment about wanting the "South Side trash he fell in love with" pissed me off because it once again plays into that high and mighty gangsta honor code sh!t that this show thrives on when it is at its worse. Then to have them fight and then fck was out of place for me because that may have been something they did back when they were being secretive about their relationship and had all of that angst and turmoil to deal with, but I thought they'd moved past that type of stuff once they were more open and Mickey developed more layers. Trying to cap it with them drunkenly singing Love is a Battlefield did nothing for me at all. The writing for Ian as an individual character has just been bad, and CM isn't helping it (though they're giving him a lot to attempt to elevate). Mickey manages to be written well as he reacts to Ian's spotty behavior, and Noel always brings it, so there's the saving grace, and the chemistry between NF/CM is still alive and well. I was also grossed out by Mickey trying to suck Ian's dick while Liam is sitting right there.

They've taken the Sammi thing too far with turning Ian in. I was firmly on her side when turning Carl in was her way of getting retribution, and honestly, I'm not against someone in this family actually suffering consequences for their actions (great line she had about "the Gallagher way," btw), but making her have this vendetta against the whole family makes no sense considering she forced her way into their house knowing the type of people they are. She was fine with them being assholes, and she was an !@#$%^&*] too, until it affected her. And of course, I loved how everyone was all up in arms about there being no breakfast and the dishes being dirty. What the fck were they expecting? Even Fiona, who has become almost as unwatchable as her father in my eyes, said something to Gus about the "house is in shambles" because Sammi stopped playing housewife. Bish whet?

Do not give a damn about Fiona's relationship dramas at all anymore and probably won't ever again. It's the same sh!t. Sean showed his dangerous side, so now she's ready to climb up on that dick. Been there, done that, wash, rinse, repeat, except in this case, there's no washing bc everyone stinks.

The scene with Frank at the Alibi is exactly the type of thing I was complaining about. The mention of Monica's name automatically brings about Serious Family Drama, but with Frank, everything is Psycho Dad Shenanigans that is played for comedy. Characters react dryly to the things he says and does, but the fact that they still give him any time at all just drives me up the wall. Veronica has lived next to this family for how long? And she's seen first-hand the effects of Frank being a worthless piece of sht to his children. Yet there she is, giving him love life advice. I just get angry when I think of what could be done with the time spent on this useless character. He literally serves no purpose anymore.

Debbie's story is predictable and boring, but I can't say her character is being too ridiculous. She said multiple times throughout the episode that she and Derrick could have sex at her house because literally no one cares, and that's the truth. Fiona took her to get birth control and could barely muster up a "Don't be in a rush to have sex." Yet STILL Debbie is able to bring the boy in the house and lie down with him with no one batting an eyelash or even noticing. Fiona's too busy getting her !@#$%^&*] wet over Sean getting into a bar brawl.

So basically, with only two episodes left, this season involved a lot of devolve, which follows the trend that these writers have set. Characters grow, then they go backwards. No one ever keeps growing. I get that the premise of the show means that they always have to be struggling, but got damn! They can stay on the South Side and still have morals. The scary thing is that little by little, they're all becoming more and more like Frank, and that's not good.

• Members

The very next episode begins with everyone mad at Sammi because she's the reason Ian and Carl were arrested. The Ian issue, I'm conflicted about, but they need to STFU about Carl because that kid's been holding a ticket to juvie for years. It literally makes my skin crawl that Fiona's solution to Carl possibly going away was to dress him up and make him pretend to be a well-meaning kid. I almost admire the fact that he didn't do that. Once upon a time, he could have been saved, but living in a house with absolutely no responsible adult influence eventually resulted in him selling heroin at, what, 14? Fiona's been so good for those kids!!

• Members

What a weird, weird season finale.

For the first time EVER, probably since season 1 at least, I truly enjoyed a Frank scene. This whole thing with the doctor managed to be both "too little, too late" and "too much, too soon." In the context of telling us that Frank really has a heart, it's just way too late for me to ever invest in him as a real character with real layers. On the other hand, a huge part of why I couldn't invest is because his connection with Bianca came out of nowhere and was blown up to be this big, real thing in a matter of episodes. I don't get why this situation with this person is what made him have a heart when he's been involved with many other people in similar, depressing circumstances that he didn't give a sht about at all. He never gave a damn about Sheila, but we're supposed to soften towards him because of this chick? I don't get it. That being said, I did like the scene of him waking up and finding her suicide letters. Once again, the show made some good decisions with sound and cinematography there. Frank is disgusting, but WHM has a nice body for a man who's half way through his 60s. Anyway, I'm sure he's back to his old tricks for season 6, so I'm not even worried about how this story makes him look. Nothing ever sticks.

What an awful mess for Ian and Mickey. Ian and Monica in tandem was interesting to watch, and I wish they would have just left him in the trailer with her and Walter until season 6 just to further explore Monica's characterization and to finally highlight the fundamental differences between mother and son and possibly get Ian to come to his senses regarding his diagnosis and medication. The funny thing is that I sighed in relief when we learned Ian left because I had a bad feeling that he would sleep with Walter in a shock scene, leading to him and Monica having a double meltdown. I'm not sure if that would have been worse than what actually happened with him and Mickey and then Sammi randomly showing up, guns blazing. I hate that they had Sammi provide so much for the household only to have her go back to crazytown, but why should I be surprised? These characters aren't aloud to develop out of the one-note cartoons they become.

Don't give a damn about Fiona's voluptuous vagina.

I shouldn't be surprised that they had Amanda turn into a shrill idiot for five seconds for seemingly no reason (I guess to support Lip's "love" for the professor. Barf), but it still pisses me off. They keep introducing these recurring characters who could add something to the core cast, then they render them useless and dispose of them.

I enjoyed Kev and V's reconciliation scene. It was classic them, and I'm glad they managed to bring those two back around to square one so that we can just pretend nothing that they did this season actually happened.

The Debbie thing got a little interesting. I'm glad they finally had her blow up on Fiona and call her out for being so absentee (while still acknowledging that Sammi basically took over as caregiver in the house during the brief time they allowed her character to grow) as well as her bouncing around from man to man. I still like Derrick, and I feel like, unlike Matty, he's truly an innocent kid who's getting involved with a world of crazy. Not like he had no choice in sleeping with Debbie, but I already know he's going to get vilified for being unable (and his family unwilling) to provide for Debbie's child.

I may try to watch the new season premiere tonight before going to bed. I'm curious to see what they're going for with this new season, but at the same time, I'm seriously concerned.