The Rihanna Thread

Soapsuds

• Members

What is she even doing? Is she trying to ruin her career? So far, what I've heard from Anti is VERY underwhelming. She used to be counted on to release fun pop record after fun pop record. Unapologetic was average at best (although "Diamonds" and especially "Stay" were great) and it sort of started this meh phase for Rihanna....

Luckily, Kanye West is no longer executive producer of the album. Really wise move. I don't even know what she was thinking. And I'm not going to touch the stupidity of abandoning a whole album before its completion in order to "work on your own album." It's more like that they realized they have sh1t in their hands and need to retool.

She needs to drop that horrible album cover, do a bomb ass photoshoot for it, update the songlist with pop/R&B and ballads and call it a day, because this 'highbrow' West crap will not work out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Queen has just released her new album and it's safe to say that it's her best album yet (not that that was very hard). No hits on it but oh well.

'Close to You' is everything that 'Stay' should've been. So gorgeous. And 'Higher' makes me feel so good :wub:. Those are my favorites but there are many more highlights.

• Members

I felt sorry for this bitch, so I picked up the Deluxe edition at Target, without having listened to any of the songs except Work.

That being said, the album is very, very good. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it's a huge mistake for her to transition to this kind of music without any hit singles to help out, and the disastrous reception of the album, even with better second week sales, is only part of it. Long term, this will not help.

I have no idea what that means :lol: Stay was brilliant, and so is Close to You.

The whole roll-out of the album was tragic. Putting it on Tidal for free, giving free downloads, dropping it unannounced as if she's Beyonce, during the end of the week (thus INVITING horrific sales), then releasing physical editions but NOBODY knew they had released physical editions... it was a huge ass mess.

The album did go to No. 1 in its second week and sold 124,000 copies, but I don't know how much of a success that should be considered, especially since there was NO competition whatsoever. 

Actually, I think that's one thing she did get right. With the possible exception of ThreeSevenEight seconds, those singles were TRASH and, by all accounts, screamed that they were singles thrown out there just to appease the long wait for fans. I'm glad she left them out. The album doesn't need them. However, they could have been included as bonus or extras.

• Members

@Mr. Vixen When I said received, it was in regards to sales. It was a poor choice of word. Most critics and fans agree the album is really good or even excellent. 

In terms of sales, certifications and chart positions, it's been a complete clusterfuck of a release. It was certified platinum because the RIAA counts streams now. In that regard, people streamed it for free a bunch o' times. There were also a million FREE downloads. However, it sold 460 copies in its first week and debuted at #27 on Billboard. That's a disaster, even if it owes a lot to the dumb decision to release it during the end of the week.

It did go to #1 in its second week, with 124,000 copies sold, again as mentioned above. That's good and respectable, but let me not bring up examples of artists selling, streaming and/or downloading for free with MUCH larger numbers than this and their albums being called flops....

When the physical edition was released, there was no promotion or general knowledge about it....

In other words, it's a confusing mess.

Should be interesting to see what happens in week 3....

• Members

Didn't Tidal mess up the roll out or something?  I think I read somewhere that Tidal accidentally released early (i.e. 'leaked') some songs (or something) before the time, so Rihanna had to go with it and release the album.  I think the free downloads may have been Rihanna's attempt to manage the situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Rihanna just scored her 14th #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with Work (feat. Drake). She's now in sole possession of 4th place among all artists with the most #1s (Michael Jackson has dropped to 5th). Rihanna is now five #1s away from surpassing Mariah Carey as the female solo artist with the most #1s, and seven #1s away from surpassing The Beatles for most #1s among all artists.

• 3 months later...

Archived