Wrestling Discussion: WWE, TNA, ECW, etc.

Dr. Jay S.W.

• Members

WWE Notes from Dave Meltzer

Thinks the new WB/UPN combined network is a big benefit for WWE for at least the next two years, as they signed for two more years, after which it could be anyone’s guess.

Thinks the deal will see more eyeballs watching Smackdown come the fall than are watching it now, unless they tank creatively.

Regarding Raw ratings, he was surprised at Monday’s rating.

He attributes it to Edge, Cena and Flair, with the biggest demographic growth in Males 35-49.

Says that Flair can raise the ratings but only short-term and is never the guy to turn a company around.

The plan was to bury Flair, and was mean to drop the IC belt to Trevor Murdoch but that got forgotten in the chaos of going to Afghanistan.

Flair was put in with Cena as a desperation move to get Cena over.

Believes Flair didn’t cut a promo on Monday because of fear he would overshadow Cena. They have no such care about Edge getting overshadowed.

The plan is for Cena to be ‘The Guy’, with Flair to be the set-up guy to get Cena over.

Still set to be Cena vs. Hunter at WM, but it could change by Sunday, at which point they should be set in stone.

Says Rey winning the Rumble is a distinct possibility.

Thinks they’ve crossed a line with the Rey story, because they can’t do it without Eddie which is a detriment.

Thinks WWE are unable pass up a chance to exploit a tragedy or story for gain.

Thinks it would be a mistake to take the belt off Edge.

Feels Hunter’s promo on Monday was Hunter’s way of letting people know Edge is just holding the belt and the position of Edge having to come to Hunter for help was more of making it clear that Hunter was the real star.

If Hunter beats Cena in Chicago, or even loses, Hunter will be the babyface, and Meltzer jokes that he’d like to see Hunter try to be a heel against Cena.

Thinks Shawn vs. Vince at WM will be horrible, and that Shawn would have to really pull out all the stops to get something out of the match.

Right now, Hogan has no role at WM, but thinks that come February, due to panic and Hogan’s show having a second season, they’ll try and put something together, possibly with Foley.

Dave calls the Rumble undercard horrible, with three possible winners of the Rumble match.

If the belt has to be taken off Angle, Meltzer thinks they’d go with Orton vs. Mysterio, and that there is a possibility of Henry getting the belt.

Called Vince’s speech to Shawn Vince being Vince, and that Vince is going nuts but nobody outside of the company really knows it.

Angle isn’t taking an MRI so they don’t have to face the results and can ignore it. (Kurt should retire before he kills himself, JMO)

Calls Angle going to Dr. Jho a mistake and that it backfired.

Says The Spirit Squad laid an egg the first week. Thinks it’s a good gimmick for Mike Mondo, but terrible for Ken Doane or Johnny Jeter as they’re too good for it.

Says Heyman is less stressed over having to write OVW to WWE whims than Cornette as Heyman just sees it as what he’s got to do and simply tries to do his best with what he’s got.

Thinks some of the ratings increase could be down to TiVO and DVR viewing now being taken into account.

The quarter hour ratings, on Raw at least, have been more consistent. On Smackdown, the quarter hours are highest for Rey Mysterio, with them being “way above everyone else”.

The Bob Orton hepatitis deal is still an issue. Johnny Ace and Vince both knew, but nothing will be done because doing anything to Ace would kill his credibility and it would only be done if Vince wanted rid of Ace.

Said the Shawn vs. Benjamin match on Raw dragged a lot and generally found it boring, despite a couple of good spots. Said Shawn didn’t look good, and that he hasn’t in a while.

Dave sees WWE on a slight upswing which may not last, but they potentially have a lot going for them, including the NBC special.

Dave mocks the decision to have all the developmental guys cut their hair, and says it’s indicative of WWE only wanting one kind of look and says that so many legends would have been ruined in OVW were they there today, due to WWE only wanting that one kind of look.

Dean Visk was cut because of a problem between him and Ted DiBiase.

Thanks to Tha Maze

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's X Pac heat?

I hope Edge keeps the belt. I like HHH, but does he need to headline every Mania? Raw has been interesting again because of him and Lita.

I wonder if the McMahon's know that Johnny Ace is so hated? I had a vision that I took over his job and then appointed Mick Foley my replacement. They did offer JR a new contract. Perhaps, he will return to his post. [!@#$%^&*] Vince if he knew! I hope Taker buries him then.

Has it been confirmed if Taker has Hepatatis?

The WWE needs to let Eddie rest in peace. They should focus on Chavo and stop getting all this cheap heat off a dead man.

The Shawn/Vince angle is going nowhere.

Kurt should just retire. I don't want to see him die. He has sacrificed too much.

Mark Henry better not get the belt. he is an utter waste. Rey is a better choice.

Why bury Flair? He's my granddad. Wooooooooooooooo!

Ryan, if you have any more gossip, let me know! :)

• Members

January 27, 2006

Last night at the AmericanAirlines Arena, RAW Superstar Carlito verbally abused Jason Williams after the Miami Heat suffered a disappointing 107-98 loss to the Phoenix Suns. While the cocky Superstar was berating Williams, Shaquille O'Neal walked up behind Carlito and smashed him with a chair.

WWE.com has retrieved footage of the incident and will post the video later today.

-WWE.com

• Members

X-Pac Heat is what X-Pac a.k.a. Sean Waltman got when he was on TV alot and way over exposed. He was the bad guy at the time but the fans were really booing him and just giving it to him really bad because they really thought he sucked. The Kurt Angle "You Suck" chants are in fun but atleast the fans respect him but the "X-Pac Heat" you suck is the total opposite.

• Members

Empowered by the first appearance of Sting on national television since the demise of WCW, TNA Impact scored a 1.1 household rating, shattering all existing records for the series. Among Males 18-49 and Males 18-34, the episode garnered a 1.0 rating. The episode captured an average audience of 1.3 million viewers.

• Members

From PWinsider.com

PWInsider reports that there were a lot of people on the creative team and in management who thought that it was a mistake to put the title back on Cena at the Rumble, but obviously more people higher up, including Triple H, decided otherwise. There is a feeling that a lot of the hatred from fans towards Cena went away once they took the title off.

The decision to give the title back to Cena appears to be the result of WrestleMania plans. Triple H has been making it known that he wants to wrestle against Cena at Mania for the WWE title.

There's nothing like putting yourself ahead of the company. I thought I read there was a ratings spurt the brief time Edge was champ and he gets rewarded by Triple H's need to be the man all the time, JMO.

• Members

If Triple H really wanted to, he could have put himself back in the title picture as soon as he came back from his off time in October. But he didn't. He could have gone on a winning streak and won the Rumble for a second time but he didn't.

For the record, Triple H does not sit on the creative team. There are many wrestlers who have input into their own storylines, but Triple H does not have any say into the matters of others.

Though I was against them putting the belt back on Cena, this sets up a few possibilities. Now that Edge will be known as a "transitional champion", this sets up his feud with Mick Foley that was supposed to happen last year. They've already started it with Mick Foley making reference to Edge never becoming champion again in his "blog" on the WWE website.

Secondly, if and when HHH faces Cena at WrestleMania, the fans will kill Cena. Though HHH portrays a bad guy, he still gets lots of cheers and the fact that many fans HATE Cena, will only further prove that Cena doesn't need the belt. I am hoping that Triple H out wrestles Cena at the PPV.

It's true the ratings went up when Edge was the champion. Now I'm hoping the ratings drop so the higher ups can realize that Cena doesn't equal ratings.

• Members

-- According to sources, Shawn Michaels often travels alone and no longer possesses a strong connection with the other wrestlers. Michaels also remains upset about the way he was treated during the booking for the match with Hogan.

-- Right now, Brian Gewirtz is heading up the RAW writing team with Ed Koskey and Michael Hayes as his assistants. Dave Lagana leads the SmackDown! team with Alex Greenfield as an assistant. Stephanie continues to oversee both brands' booking.

• Members

TNA will inform its wrestlers tomorrow morning that the promotion will be moving on 4/13 to Thursday evenings at 9 PM. An official press release from Spike TV is expected to follow as an official announcement, although that may not come until Tuesday during a scheduled media teleconference with X-Division champion Samoa Joe.

With the new season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series (which will feature Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz as coaches) scheduled for 11 PM, there's no word yet as to what Spike has planned for the 10 PM hour yet.

Archived