2011 British Soap Awards

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are there any rumblings about who will get the Lifetime Achievement Award? Who do you guys think it should be?

Since Corrie was last year, and the Awards usually take turns, I'm guessing someone from EE may get it ... Pam St. Clement? Regardless, I'll be crossing my fingers that Richard Thorp is honoured.

Also, fun fact: EE has never won Most Spectacular Scene. I thought that was interesting.

• Members

Isn't Richard Thorp one of those people who usually refuses interviews and public appearances? I always assumed that's why they've never given it to Eileen Derbyshire.

I'm guessing/hoping it'll be Pam St. Clement. It'd be totally strange and out the box if they gave it to someone "young" like Helen Worth, Anne Kirkbride, or even Adam Woodyatt.

• Members

These are the panel nominations:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/pressreleases/programmepressreleases/bsa2011/default.html

BEST COMEDY PERFORMANCE (Last years winner was Craig Gazey – Coronation Street)

BEST COMEDY PERFORMANCE

Patti Clare (Mary Taylor) Coronation Street

Tameka Empson (Kim Fox) EastEnders

Charlie Hardwick (Val Pollard) Emmerdale

Alex Carter (Lee Hunter) Hollyoaks

BEST DRAMATIC PERFORMANCE (Last year’s winner was Lacey Turner - EastEnders)

Jane Danson (Leanne Barlow) Coronation Street

Lindsey Coulson (Carol Jackson) EastEnders

Danny Miller (Aaron Livesy) Emmerdale

Claire Cooper (Jacqui McQueen) Hollyoaks

BEST YOUNG PERFORMANCE (Last year’s winner was Ami Metcalf - Doctors)

Alexander Bain (Simon Barlow) Coronation Street

Maisie Smith (Tiffany Butcher) EastEnders

Eden Taylor Draper (Belle Dingle) Emmerdale

Ellis Hollins (Tom Cunningham) Hollyoaks

BEST EXIT (Last year’s winner was Charlie Clements - EastEnders)

Bill Tarmey (Jack Duckworth) Coronation Street

Lacey Turner (Stacey Branning) EastEnders

Andy Devine (Shadrach Dingle) Emmerdale

Carley Stenson (Steph Roach) Hollyoaks

BEST NEWCOMER (Last year’s winner was Marc Elliott - EastEnders)

Paula Lane (Kylie Turner) Coronation Street

Ricky Norwood (Arthur ‘Fatboy’ Chubb) EastEnders

Pauline Quirke (Hazel Rhodes) Emmerdale

Emmett J Scanlan (Brendan Brady) Hollyoaks

BEST ON-SCREEN PARTNERSHIP (Last year’s winner was Jan Pearson and Christopher Walker - Doctors)

Katherine Kelly & Simon Gregson Coronation Street

(Becky & Steve McDonald)

Jessie Wallace & Shane Richie EastEnders

(Kat & Alfie Moon)

Emma Atkins & Jeff Hordley Emmerdale

(Charity Tate & Cain Dingle)

Emmett J Scanlan & Kieron Richardson Hollyoaks

(Brendan Brady & Ste Hay)

BEST STORYLINE(Last year’s winner was Who Killed Archie - EastEnders)

End of the line for the Websters & Dobbs Coronation Street

Karen’s abortion Doctors

Ronnie swaps her baby for Kat’s EastEnders

Holly’s drug addiction Emmerdale

SPECTACULAR SCENE OF THE YEAR (Last year’s winner was The Parachute Jump - Hollyoaks)

The Tram Crash Coronation Street

The Queen Vic Fire EastEnders

The Train Crash Emmerdale

The Lift Shaft Hollyoaks

BEST SINGLE EPISODE (Last year’s winner was EastEnders Live)

Coronation Street Live Coronation Street

August 23rd Doctors

Billie’s death EastEnders

The Betrayed Emmerdale

• Members

What was "The Betrayed"?

Best Exit my a$$.

I imagine that Emmett Scanlan, who seems to have become so beloved in some quarters so quickly, will probably win best newcomer. The fact that they had to nominate a woman who has a decades-long, successful career in television tells you this wasn't exactly a great year for fresh talent, IMO. I would have nominated the guy who played Connor on Eastenders.

Paula Lane is the other probable winner, just because she's being hyped by the show (I think she's a generic knockoff who brings zero depth to any scene).

How did this garbage get a nomination? It had approximately ONE good scene before it became vile, unwatchable, derivative camp that ruined every character involved.

I would have nominated Billie's death over the baby swap story. I don't think that will win, as I think it will be seen as too hot to handle.

I imagine Corrie will clean up for their stunts. Considering that stunts are the only thing Collinson knows how to do, I'm sure he will be pleased.

I really hope Lindsey wins this. Jane and Clare were fantastic, Jane with some of the worst writing her character has ever had, and Clare with some hugely difficult material, but Lindsey was phenomenal, in such agonizing and complex scenes, and her work in the unfairly scapegoated Connor/Carol story was also superb.

Best On-Screen Partnership again points out the weakness of current soap couples (Becky/Steve, really?). I hope Shane and Jessie win, just because they do work very well together. I think Cain/Charity lost a lot of their drive compared to what they were the first time around, and Ste/Brendan has never worked for me. It's just a lot of forced writing which tells us that if you beat your partner, you're the real victim, and it's true love. The actors don't sell it.

• Members

Yikes. Ima go with EastEnders for most of those. I'll be immensely satisfied with either Patti Clare or Tameka Empson winning for Comedy, DEFINITELY Lindsey for Dramatic (I like the other two ladies -- but nothing comes close to Lindsey, and shame on the panel should they pick someone else), I don't really care about the Young category (though I've always liked Ellis Hollins), Lacey for Exit, Ricky Norwood for Newcomer (funny seeing Pauline Quirke in a Newcomer category at this point), Jessie & Shane for Partnership...I don't feel right pulling for the baby switch for Storyline because that's really a 2011 thing, I wasn't impressed at all with any of the Spectacular Scene nominees (and I gave them all a watch), and obviously Billie's death should win Single Episode.

• Members

Carl, I think 'The Betrayed' is probably Carl and Chas' wedding. And though I agree with you about the characters of Cain and Charity, if they submitted the episode that was basically dedicated to them and their relationship in that hotel room, then I am pulling for them all the way. It was just a wonderful half hour. Something very rare for Emmerdale these days.

Comedy: Anybody but Mary. She's annoys me (as do so many Corrie characters).

Since Coulson has already won before, I would love to see Claire Cooper nab the win for dramatic performance. We know damn well she has no chance for Lead Actress.

Young Performance: Am I the only one that thinks Alexander Bain is completely wretched. He never knows what the eff is going on when I have seen him.

Exit: Tarmey will easily win this, but I'm hoping for Shadrach's death to win. That was just a great episode all around.

Storyline: These nominations are absolutely wretched, sans the Doctors, since I have no business judging there, so I guess I want them to win by default.

Spectacular scene: Zzz ...

Best Episode: Billie's death. Period. End of story. If 'The Betrayed' is the Carl/Chas wedding, though the episode had some good moments, it came off stitled and forced, like most everything on Emmerdale these days.

• Members

I can't make sense of Ian and Jean in my head. Is she that dumb to actually believe he's actually a nice guy? I hope if they do get together eventually, she'll transform him into a human being again. However, I'm more than ready for Laurie Brett to go on her maternity leave so Ian and Jane can be over officially.

And tonight was a huge reason why I despise Big Heather. What a twit. And I still haven't warmed up to the new Ben. I greatly disliked the previous actor as well, but whatever this current one is selling, I'm not buying. At least this Abi romance has saved Jay for me, for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived