Adele Thread

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

She's on course to sell one million copies of 25 on the first day in the UK.

In the US, they've shipped 3.6 million copies, not to mention the 100,000 Amazon pre-orders and all the digital downloads.

Insane numbers! When I was at Target, three people were picking up a copy of the deluxe edition at the same time I was. I've never seen that happen before.

• Members

I tried a bit of the album and only listened to a handful of songs and am disappointed. Her vocals are on point and sound amazing but this sounds exactly like her old music. She hasnt evolved much in her time away and isnt trying anything new. 25 sounds like an extension of 21, which itself was an extension of 19. I'll have to spend more time to form a more valid opinion and hope Im wrong

• Members

I've been liking the songs more each time I listen to them, so that might be the case for you too. She's definitely a much happier Adele, and it is a much happier album than it may appear on first listen (although there are still a few tearjerkers). As far as doing new stuff, Send my love (to your new lover)Water Under the BridgeMillion Years Ago and Can't Let Go don't sound at all to me like something that would be on 19 or 21. The album is familiar Adele and also somewhat different.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I don't think she was ever going to veer too far off from what made her successful. At the end of the day, she's a contemporary torch singer, so she'll always stick to conventional ballads in her signature delivery style. She's not a Madonna/Beyonce-type artist who has to evolve and change direction on every record. 

• Members

I completely agree with Cheap. 

I'm sorry, but just those titles alone are screaming "More mopey break-up songs!!"

I get this, but at some point, it just becomes formulaic, IMO. A new Adele album, a new batch of break-up hits in which Adele is either the wounded doe or the sassy victor. She is an extraordinary singer, but if every album is going to be the same, what's the point?

• Members

Somebody sent this to me earlier and I can't stop laughing. Brilliance!

How can you agree with Cheap if you say...

? LOL

Cos, of those four, only one is actually a "mopey break-up song"! :lol: And a beautiful one (co-written by Linda Perry) at that!

Have you listened to the album?

• Members

I hate the way the board does quotes now.

I prelistened to each song on iTunes the day the album came out. I know those aren't all mopey, but I was literally referring to the titles lol Production-wise, there are different things going on, so I'll be fair and stop using "mopey." Lyrically, though? It's nothing new.