Soap Opera Feuds

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Reason KISH Ended On OLTL is up for debate again

Nelson Branco Claims they were drunk and Unprofessional

Now Carolyn Hinsey Claims Brett was the reason in an interview with Michael Fairman for her new Book

MICHAEL:

Oh, here we go. In the chapter Gays of our Lives, I was very interested to read what you had to say about Kish. I had heard from sources that Middle America in the end was denouncing it, and that ABC was blaming the couple for their ratings woes’. And then, there was a backlash by both the mainstream and the LBGT community on how could they blame the eroding ratings at that time on OLTL, solely on Kish, when people felt the character of Stacy Morasco was shoved down their throats. And then I heard from sources, some of the same things you wrote about; that it was more about the actors, Scott Evans (Ex-Oliver) and Brett Claywell (Ex-Kyle). What do you think went down?

CAROLYN:

There are a number of things that went down. First of all, One Life tried really hard to write a mainstream gay couple, which is something no other show has done. And they were vilified from all angles. Middle America said, “I will not watch two men kissing.” And then the gay community started a backlash that they were not on enough. How you can then call the only show that is trying to tell a gay story “homophobic,” is beyond me. Some people were saying, but not enough of them, “Great, I love it. I am watching for Kish.” So here you are trying to tell this groundbreaking story and you are being hammered by people who don’t want to see it, and hammered from people who want to see more, and no one was saying, “Wow, great job.” You persevere and you put the couple together. You have a love scene and one of the guys comes out and the parent’s turn on Fish, which makes everybody go, “Oh, poor Oliver.” And that in turn, makes us sympathize with him, and makes the audience like him even more than we already did. And then my understanding is, they offered the actors contracts, and they wanted tons more money then they were offered. The quote I used in the book and that I heard was they wanted, “Robin Strasser money.” And the truth of the matter is; the guys had only been on the show nine months. And so they were told what kind of salary they could get for someone who had been on the show that length of time. They could not strike a deal. So then it becomes, “Are we going to do some recasting? Are we going to bring in another actor to play this role that we are already getting hammered on from two different segments of our viewing audience?” But then, it dovetailed into my argument, which is: Why don’t soaps just tell the truth more. If someone would have come forward and said, “We offered them a deal and the actors did not accept it, and we are very disappointed.” That would have gone down better. But, I also think it’s not fair that the one show that tried to tell this story got vilified, while The Bold and the Beautiful, while set in the world of fashion, still does not have a gay character on the show.

MICHAEL:

One of the things you mention in the book is…did OLTL head writer, Ron Carlivati, go overboard because of the same-sex wedding-a-thon, and Dorian pretending she was a lesbian to get votes to be elected mayor?

CAROLYN:

In my opinion, it was too much all at once, and did not make sense. In what community do you pretend to be gay to get more votes? Never mind that Dorian was never a liar! I mean, she has been many things, but for her to lie about her sexual orientation just did not ring true. And, it was too much with everything else they were telling on the show, and if you noticed, they knew it. Then they pulled back on it pretty fast.

MICHAEL:

The one issue I wanted to bring up that you say in the book is, that it’s hard to create gay storylines for characters, because for instance, gay people don’t have accidental pregnancies. But I say to you, Oliver Fish got Stacy pregnant after she drugged him. So in a situation like that, a male gay character can be utilized. So the beauty of that was the show did weave in the gay couple. And the thing is, if things hadn’t gone down the way they did, they had a great opportunity because of that act, to tell the story of two men raising a baby! And now we see that on Modern Family, and that was the part of the story that riveted me. I wanted the guys to get custody of that child and then see them living in Llanview dealing with that.

CAROLYN:

Listen, if Brett Claywell would have signed a contract, you would have been seeing that story playing out today! But hold on! My gay friends are not sleeping with women. If you are a gay man and you can be drugged into impregnating a woman, yes, it’s dramatic, but is just not very realistic.

MICHAEL:

Your issue is the realism, and of course I understand that. I am saying OLTL used it as a plot-device with their gay characters. Look, I do believe what you said is true. But in this case, I am like, “Well, let’s just say we suspend belief like we do with everything else in soaps.” So I am thinking, “OK, we have a gay couple and one of them fathered a child. Ok, good. We have an issue for story there that also keeps them on air.” And then I am thinking, “Good. Now there will be a fight for custody and that could be poignant.” I think OLTL rushed this story at the end because, as you say, the guys did not sign contracts, and therefore, Kish got custody very fast and were sent off the canvas.

CAROLYN:

First of all, there is no doctor at Llanview hospital anymore. (Laughs) And if the actors would have stayed you would have seen Brett Claywell playing a doctor and Scott Evans playing a cop, and they would have been roped in to all the “normal” stories – kidnappings, and baby-switches and everything else, and in addition to the romantic side of it. In the same way they are currently writing John McBain and Natalie, they could have written it that way for Kish.

I call BS Brett had a 3 year deal with 2 years left on it and Scott perfered Recuring. I doubt they thought they could get Robin Strasser Money

• Members

I have NO idea what the real deal was, but nothing offered up seems to cast them in a positive light... besides the notion that they were victims of homophobia (btw, the Middle America thing seems really unfair as there are plenty of homophobes on either coast, but that's a separate subject). Maybe they were smelling themselves when the Kish thing started making press, or maybe it was their representation who "saw their worth" and were asking for the big money. Who knows? What I do know is that these guys can’t be the worst examples of soap actors who may or may not have done some suspect things bts and it seems unfair that their alleged dirty laundry gets aired, especially as they are categorized as this sort of gruesome twosome of unprofessional, drunk, money hungry, gay/gay-for-pay divas. Kinda messy.

• Members

It's pretty much a bunch of ABC spin, as always with the sycophant Hinsey.

I am really annoyed that she tries to blame gay viewers. Many, many gay fans supported this couple. I never saw this big backlash about airtime. If there was any criticism it was of the storytelling, which sucked, but then, 2009 was a wretched year for the show generally. The sycophant is doing the classic spin that the industry loves to use, which is, "It's just never enough (for minority groups!" We tried, we really did!

Not that I can blame her for avoiding any stories with John/Natalie, but this "couple" rarely interact, and when they do, it's just so Natalie can be degraded and shown up as a fool. The only reason the story has even progressed is because the show is ending. Otherwise they would have continued with the unwashed moper having booty calls while Natalie only gets his attention when one of his harem put her in the hospital.

And Fish was on the show for longer than 9 months. Again I don't think she ever actually watched the show. She was too busy drinking with Thorsten Kaye or whatever she does.

• Members

Even if BC (Kyle) asked for a raise and actors do that all the time, I doubt it was Robin Strasser Money and I dont buy that SE being on recuring for twoi years was all of a sudden an issue. He had more airdates than BC who was on contract did

ABC spin and CH is Just Kissing ABC by continuing to spread LIES

• Members

I don't buy any of it. Brett Claywell has worked steadily for years, and Scott Evans also seems to have a career. Yet these men are, according to ABC's various lackeys, drunk, partying, out of control egomaniacs who demanded huge money even though they rarely showed up on time.

If ABC wanted people to believe this latest spin, they shouldn't have had their lackeys put out those ugly stories last year. It's just OTT. And it is yet another reminder of the bigotry that has killed this genre and television in general.

• Members

Brett Claywell responding to CH in a tweet: Just a quick note for anyone who feels like spreading false information in interviews. I was on a 4 year contract from Day 1. Moving on. ;)

http://twitter.com/#!/BrettClaywell/status/94842809844105216

CH's info on Brett and Scott is all second hand gossip and bullcrap ABC's PR department sent her. I've met Brett once, he's probably among the nicest, most down to earth soap stars I've met, and anyone else I know who's met him say the same thing.

Archived