National Television Awards

DRW50

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I read that Eastenders won. That's a big shock. I can already hear people going on about how awful this is, but overall I think the show was better than Corrie, and they won fair and square. Today's Corrie is a very alienating show, empty more often than not, and that seemed to be reflected in the votes.

• Members

People will say, "Corrie won last year, and it was bad," but Corrie had a promo in the middle of the ceremony.

Eastenders still has a lot of very strong moments, they have quiet, powerful scenes, with some of the best actors you can find anywhere. That doesn't take away from some of the crap, but there have been some really incredible scenes on the show in the last year which were ignored in the stampede to pronounce Kirkwood a failure and Collinson a king.

I also kind of take this as the public showing their support for the show in spite of all the hysterical press reaction about the baby swap and how this was going to kill Eastenders, millions of viewers would flee, and so on.

Eastenders does deserve criticism but much of the criticism veers into "If I say this loudly enough and often enough it's true." Apparently voters did not agree.

• Members

Full list of winners:

Best Newcomer Ricky Norwood (EastEnders)

Best Talent Show The X Factor (ITV)

Best Drama Waterloo Road (BBC)

Best Drama Performance David Jason (A Touch Of Frost)

Best Digital Choice The Inbetweeners (E4)

Best Factual Programme Top Gear (BBC)

Best Serial Drama Performance Lacey Turner (EastEnders)

Best Topical Magazine Programme This Morning (ITV)

Best Entertainment Presenter Ant & Dec

Best Comedy Programme Benidorm (ITV)

Best Serial Drama EastEnders (BBC)

• Members

People are of course saying Jack was right...if an Eastenders actor had reacted that way he'd be raked over the coals. But a lot of the younger Corrie cast seem to behave that way at awards shows.

Someone also said Marc Silcock looked unhappy. Then again the awful story he's in and then not winning probably wasn't a party mood for him.

• Members

Lucy Pargeter had a meltdown on Twitter when Danny Miller lost to Lacey. Even going as far as accusing the NTA's of being rigged with a majority Southern vote.

While it may be rigged, these Twitter outbursts smell of jealously and bitterness to me. It's not doing these actors or their shows any favours.

There's a reason the categories are labeled as "Most Popular" - it's a popularity contest!

Archived