Live with Regis and Kelly

Jonathan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Regis wasn't there for today's Halloween show, this is normally the shows go to submission for Emmy's every year. I am guessing they submit just Kelly (like Regis did after Kathy Lee left and before Kelly joined) for Emmy consideration.

• Members

Exactly. Honestly, I have not watched this show regularly in years so I can't get all high and mighty about who should or should not host, buuuuut...

I don't think it should be:

-Mark

-Cameron

-Ryan

-Andy

-Anderson

The last three have plenty on their plates already.

The problem with this gig is that it's so hard to get a grasp of guest hosts truly being themselves, they are always so "on", trying their best to be charming and clever. That will either relax with time, or it will continue indefinitely. Reege is so great because he can hold his own while being an endearingly flawed individual who Kathy and Kelly could lovingly tease. Some polished pretty boy is definitely not the way to go.

I wonder how someone like John Ritter would have been. Even George Lopez if he wasn't so George. Jerry will be fine as a guest host but he is ultimately a one man show, the leader of an ensemble. But I actually think a former sitcom star is not a bad way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the person who will replace Regis in on no one's shortlist, much the same way no one considered Kelly when Kathie Lee stepped down.

A poster over at TVGuide.com tossed out an interesting name: Michael E. Knight. I would love to see him sit in with Kelly to see how they work together.

• Members

He's a good choice as a substitute host...but ultimately two ex-soap stars...it would be labelled as hacked up, Soap Talk 2.0 if you will.

Just as Kelly was a random as hell choice, Regis' successor will have to be random as hell in order to succeed. A pretty boy is not going to cut it, an actor, generally, isn't going to cut it. If he weren't so polarizing someone like Bryant Gumbel would work (but not Gumbel specifically since he's so widely loved and hated).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived