ALL SOAPS: Best & Worst of 2010!

Ben

• Members

BEST COUPLE: Stax! Beyond that, I was fond of Max and Vanessa, even if that relationship seems to be on the way out. Not a great year for soap couples.

WORST COUPLE: Leanne/Nick are repulsive and have destroyed Leanne as a character. Graeme/Tina are pathetic -- the scenes where he kept staring at her and kept her under his thumb in her home disturbed me, and the efforts to make them some type of long-suffering couple, complete with Jason throwing out all her stuff, the two of them standing in the rain, David's sudden health problems causing him to almost rape Tina. This has done nothing but further show Tina up as a pointless, unnecessary character, and completely ruined any purpose Graeme ever had. Graeme was not brought in as a loveable leading man. Apparently someone confused him with Alfie Moon. Craig Gazey can't act, and this has been cruelly showcased throughout 2010.

Honorable mention to Cheryl and ANYONE on Hollyoaks. How ridiculous this bad drag queen is. She weeps over various men who barely gave her the time of day, and somehow this is presented as wonderful and noble. She apparently fell into bed with Warren offcamera, completely baffling viewers, and now sees him as her soulmate. She slept with a man she thought was gay (if he wasn't before he slept with her he probably was after). The most bloodcurdling was her sex scene with Rhys, where I finally realized why someone keeps her around - they have a big boob fetish. Rhys with his head between her tatas is an image which will haunt me for life.

BEST VILLAIN: Janine, Eastenders - no one else comes close. Honorable mention to Charlie on Emmerdale

WORST VILLAIN: Harry Gold, Eastenders...what the hell happened there? Owen Armstrong, Corrie; the boring stripper's boring ex, Corrie

DISASTER OF THE YEAR: Eastenders Vic fire

MESSIEST DISASTER: Hollyoaks fire. An event that was heavily rewritten and re-edited to the point that no one understood or cared.

BEST DECISION MADE BY A SOAP: Eastenders clearing out a good portion of their dead wood. Bringing back Kat, even if the material isn't there yet.

WORST DECISION MADE BY A SOAP: Eastenders making Stacey Archie's killer, a very stupid story made heinous by very poor writing, especially the choice of Stacey running off for a month and missing Bradley's funeral! Eastenders getting rid of Todd Taylor and turning Whitney into the town slut; Eastenders bungling the story of Ronnie's abuse by Archie; Hollyoaks giving Steph cancer; Hollyoaks hyping a gay domestic violence story when they didn't have the backbone to not redeem their darling Brendan; Emmerdale firing Deena Payne and barely using her in the runup to her exit; Emmerdale grinding all their stories to a dead halt and replacing plotting with a misery-fest; Emmerdale giving Diane the pub back; Coronation Street bringing back Tracy Barlow; Coronation Street constantly ignoring character history; Coronation Street not bothering to bring anyone back for the anniversary, and instead focusing on hollow hype

MOST OVERUSED PLOT DEVICE: Fires. Pregnancies.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few more:

Best Exit - Peggy from Eastenders, Stacey from Eastenders, and the Valentines from Hollyoaks. For whatever reason Marquess really gave them a good sendoff. Why I don't quite know. At least I got to see Valerie one last time. Billie from Eastenders. Jack from Coronation Street. Charlie from Emmerdale. Manda from Eastenders -- I loved her last few scenes. Amira from Eastenders - mostly for the last scene.

Worst Exit - Charlotte from Hollyoaks. Shameful. Jake and Zak from Hollyoaks - so bad that Kent Riley complained about it on Twitter. Michaela's bizarre, bitter exit due to backstage tensions. Steph's death. Nathan's cheap, demeaning exit on Emmerdale.

Best Family - The McQueens, Hollyoaks. Even with Michaela gone and with the new arrival of Bart who doesn't work very well with the McQueens and seems pointless other than being Jasmine's fantasy man, the McQueens keep on going, and have had some fantastic material this year. I especially loved Jacqui covering up Calvin's murder and Carmel's reactions to all the lies and revelations. There was some good comedy from Myra, cheap stuff but boy did Nicole Barber Lane make it work. I still chuckle at the "Are you calling me a sap?" line.

Worst Family - The Costellos. AWFUL. Never have I seen a more poorly planned family. So...Heidi's father is a serial killer and killed the mother? Yet he never went near Heidi's aunt or her cousin? This aunt was hung up on Carl, and so was her daughter Mitzeee. Or are they both Heidi's cousins? And there was a shocking secret about Mitzeee seducing Carl and being obsessed with him and wanting revenge on him...only to completely drop this and for the family to not bat an eye? And Jem was Carl's daughter with who exactly? And Jem was angry that Carl broke her boyfriend's leg long ago, and even though she was supposed to be sensible, suddenly came up with an insane revenge plan...only for this to fizzle away and no one in the family bats an eye? Why does Seth exist? Are we REALLY supposed to believe that Heidi and Carl are old enough to be Riley's parents, especially Heidi? Does anyone in this family ever act like they care about each other? Not once have I ever seen Heidi act like she cares for Jason/Jasmine. Never do I believe that Riley or Seth are related to her. I still have no idea how old Riley is supposed to be. Only one, perhaps two at a push, people in this family can act worth a fig. As bad as the Sharpes were, at least I believed them as a family. I do not believe anything from the Costellos, ever.

• Members

I'm still new to British Soaps. Just started watching in the summer but here's my picks.

BEST SHOW - EastEnders

WORST SHOW - Hollyoaks

MOST IMPROVED SHOW - Emmerdale (I found it boring at first but it's picked up late in the year.)

BEST ACTOR - Jake Wood (Max, EE)

BEST ACTRESS - Lindsay Coulson (Carol, EE)

WORST ACTOR - Emmett J Scanlan (Brendan, HO)

WORST ACTRESS - Bronagh Waugh (Cheryl, HO)

BEST NEWCOMER - Glynis Barber (Glenda, EE)

WORST NEWCOMER - Miles Higson (Seth, HO)

BEST STORYLINE - Janine/Ryan/Stacey (EE)

WORST STORYLINE - This Tracy storyline on Corrie.

BEST CHARACTER - Mercedes McQueen (HO) & Dot Branning (EE)

WORST CHARACTER - Duncan Button (HO)

MOST IMPROVED CHARACTER - Natasha Williams (Neighbours)

BEST COUPLE - Mercedes & Malachy (HO), Ricky & Bianca (EE)

WORST COUPLE - Aaron & Jackson (Emmerdale), Heather & Minty (EE), Brendan & Ste (HO)

BEST VILLAIN - Janine (EE)

WORST VILLAIN - Brendan (HO)

DISASTER OF THE YEAR - The Tram (CS)

MESSIEST DISASTER- The Hollyoaks Fire

MOST OVERUSED PLOT DEVICE - Fires. (SO Damn sick of them.)

BEST FAMILY- The McQueens (HO) & The Slaters (EE).

• Members

I'm pretty new to British Soaps but here's my picks:

BEST SHOW - EastEnders

WORST SHOW - Hollyoaks

MOST IMPROVED SHOW - Eastenders

BEST ACTOR - Jake Wood (Max, EE)

BEST ACTRESS - Gillian Wright (Jean, EE)

WORST ACTOR - Marc Elliot (Syed, EE)

WORST ACTRESS - Sally Dynevor (Sally, CS)

BEST CHARACTER - Dot (EE)

MOST UNDERUSED CHARACTER: Viv Hope (ED)

WORST CHARACTER - Jimmi Harkishin (CS)

BEST COUPLE - Sophie & Sian (CS), Ricky & Bianca (EE), Kat & Alfie (EE)

WORST COUPLE - Heather & Minty (EE)

BEST VILLAIN - Janine (EE)

BEST NEWCOMER - Charlotte (CS)

BEST STORYLINE - Janine/Ryan/Stacey (EE)

WORST STORYLINE - Tracy storyline (CS)

DISASTER OF THE YEAR - The Queen Vic Fire (EE)

MOST OVERUSED PLOT DEVICE - Fires

BEST FAMILY - The Slaters (EE).

• Members

Great to see these other additions.

Poor Sally Dyvenor! No I'm just kidding. I have to admit some of her work over the years has been off but there are moments that I love so much, like her looking in the mirror briefly on last night's episode. More of that and less of "Salone" please.

Another category:

Best Return: Paul Emmerdale. I would say Carol on EE because I love Carol, but I decided to go with a short term return. This was the type of return where Emmerdale reminds me the most of soaps from Doug Marland and other great writers of soap past. Paul returned for his sister's wedding, no big shocking moment or catastrophe. They still had a fun relationship, and some great scenes. The scene where he tried to talk to Aaron about being gay, only for Aaron to make a comment to him, was also pretty good, and a reminder of Paul not having the easiest of lives.

Worst Return: Mandy Hollyoaks. This is even worse than that 2008 disaster where she humiliated herself over Warren. Now she doesn't care that the brother in law she once loved was manipulated into arson, she sits around in a hotel room with sleazy Warren, she wants to marry Tony for his money when Tony has lost all his money. Sarah Jayne Dunn must have some haters in the production office.

And I should mention Dom for Worst Exit.

• Members

:o oh what do you know lol. Nah but E20 is enjoyable if you sit down with an open mind. Prefer Series 1 to Series 2 because i liked the characters more (The One you know already)

Never the less , its good none the less and the third series is meant to be tackling Bullying & Peer Pressure.

• Members

Emer was OK after a while it was just the early stuff that was bad. I just wanted to see your reaction :lol:

I liked E20 once it got started. I liked the stuff with Mercy's pregnancy, and I liked the way they integrated the main EE cast so well.

• Members

Carl, you liked CHARLOTTE of all people? That whole Fishwick story was cringe-worthy for me, the parts I saw of it. I watched the beginning (John getting the job at the school, befriending Brian, running into Charlotte) then all of the parts included during TRAM CRASH WEEK!!! when John beat up Charlotte. Anyone who hates Fiz is pretty much a winner in my book, but Charlotte seemed like a crazy Desperate Housewives character. She was the kind of woman who would move to Wisteria Lane and have a crazy obsession over Tom Scavo.

I don't know if I can fairly list my favorites and least favorites. I've only really watched EE and Corrie this year. I watched Oaks for a week or so, and a few episodes of Emmerdale. Also, some Doctors, but not enough to count. I think I need to make my way to that resolution thread.

• Members

The Fishwick story is crap but does have some of the more Corrie-suited moments of craziness, whereas most of the other stories seem like bad Dynasty homages. The woman who played Charlotte was very entertaining and they also didn't overuse her. Her parents, especially her mother, were also great characters. The writing for the Christmas dinner scenes managed to so skillfully blend comedy and pathos.

I also think Graeme Hawley is underrated.

I was thinking of putting Mercy or Fatboy for best new character but went with her because she was a contrast to so many of the narcotizing new people brought into Corrie this year.

Badboy93 did you see Emer on that Arena show with Rolf Harris painting?

Archived