Upstairs, Downstairs

Sylph

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The original Upstairs, Downstairs is my favourite tv-series ever, so I was both excited and fearful when this new series was announced. As it turned out it was the fear that was proven right. The "new" Upstairs, Downstairs was, in my opinion, vastly inferior to the original series in every way.

• Members

Practically everything: the acting (Keely Hawes!!), the writing, the overall feeling......

I admit that I'm horribly biased, since I love the original show so much, and I might have had a more positive view of the new show if it had been a completely new project. But even then I don't think I would have liked it very much. It would have been just another costume drama in a long row of costume dramas from the UK, and not one of the better ones. It lacked the charm and heart that I get when I watch the original Upstairs, Downstairs.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

The BBC has apparently admitted defeat and cancelled the new Upstairs, Downstairs:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2133318/Upstairs-Downstairs-axed-BBC-admits-defeat-battle-Sunday-night-dramas.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I can't say that I'm surprised. I feel for the actors and the behind the scenes people of course, but I won't mourn the demise of this show.

Archived