Felicity

JackPeyton

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, i just re-watched the entire series on dvd, so i am gonna go on a posting frenzy here...

Season 1 was so good. Felicity following Ben to UNY. Her dealing with him not wanting her, her parents not supporting her, and doubting herself for perhaps the first time ever. It was great to watch her find her feet somewhat and decide to stay at UNY. Her friendship with Julie seemed so real, as did her growing relationship with Noel. I actually like how the show made Felicity and Ben just become friends and get to know eachother before doing a traingle. For most of this season it was Noel&Felicity and Ben&Julie. The quad of the four only really happened at the end of the first season, and it was so good. I love that scene where Felicity and Ben talk about how they can not do this to Noel and Julie and then Julie comes down from the stairs and tells Felicity shes a bitch? Great stuff. And then that cliffhanger of who Felicity would pick? Loved it.

Also in this season, i was rather shocked they had Felicity lose her virginity to some random dude (Simon Rex!). I also loved Elena and her issues of trying to fit in and let walls down and deal with her father. Julies rape was a very interesting rape because not only did they not show it, but they had Julie question if it was rape herself as it was a guy she was dating, she invited him to her room, and she didnt fight it as much as just saying no and asking him to stop. I also loved Megan and how different she was from everyone else. The worst was Hannha. God, u hated her.

Season 2 was... good. I loved that Felicity picked Ben. I also really liked how Ben freaked out when he realized Felicity might be in love with him and how he couldnt deal with it and they broke up. Felicity cutting her hair was such a great moment for the character. I loved how much more they got into the characters of Elena, Julie, and even Megan. Elena and Tracey were really good and i loved that she wanted sex and he didnt. Julie and her birth mother also provided some good moments. I liked how Julie hated on Felicity for some time too. Julie and Shawn and Julie and Noel were both very interesting and sadly got dropped. Elena and Noel living together, Megan and Felicity rooming again, and Ben Julie and Shawn living together was a brilliant move, IMHO.

But they also had that Ruby disaster this season, so that was annoying. And Ben and Maggie sucked. I did enjoy Felicity away from both Noel and Ben when she was with Greg and working at the health clinic. Her running for school pres was annoying though. I did like watching her deal with her parents divorce though, but damn i hate her parents so freaking much. What i loved most about this season, and the series actually, was the Ben and javiar interactions. They had an adorable friendship.

Season 3 was... a disaster. It is my least liked season, yet i still quite enjoy it. Noel getting married to Natalie and dropping out, Julie leaving, Ben and Felicity having the same conversation over and over again, Shawns cancer, Bens father, Molly and her damn boyfriend James, Molly and Ben in Anon, Elena going blind and falling for DeForrest, Avery being obsessed with Ben... wow, this season really did suck actually. I did like Megan and Shawn this season tho.

Season 4 is actually really good, tho after season 3 it would be hard not to. I really liked Felicity freaking out over having no idea what she was going to do after college and her pretty much swapping roles with Ben who decided to go pre-med. Felicity and Noel FINALLY have sex, and it happens when shes dating ben and noel is living with him for maximum drama. Loved that. I also love how they kept it a secret for quite a bit of time. The ben/felicity breakup was great, but that led to Ben and Lauren and her being prego and that sucked. Noel and Zoe were actually really good, and i loved them. Noel and Shawn starting a buisness was also good, as both characters got a little more gorwn up at that point. Elena and Tracey cancelled wedding turning into Megan and Shawns wedding provided a lot of good stuff for Megan and Shawn as they had to figure out their future and deal with their families.

Then there was the finale, the real first finale.. graduation. It was so great. Everything really came together. Megan and Shawn were happy, Noel and Zoe were good, Felicity and Ben got engaged, Elena got into Stanford. I loved it all. But then as we know the show got a 5 more episode order and Felicity went back in time to try and pick noel, causing his death and her still ending up with Ben. I actually liked these episodes a lot. Then the actual ending was also perfect, at Noel and Zoes wedding with all the happy couples and Elena ending up alive.

• Members

Yes, its the only one of his shows to have a regular character be gay, it also had a few one ep characters that were gay/bi. Megan also had a ex girlfriend show up at one point.

Star trek has no gays and limited female roles, but really his star trek outside of the main two (kirk/spok ?) nobody really mattered too much. The next main character was a female. However, his shows are usually pretty female based (felicity, alias) or very ensemble with strong female roles.

• Members

There goes JP's thread: Carl steps in with snide comments, starts a battle for human rights (that have zero relevance in a particular show's assessment) from the armchair and whoosh! Same happened with Downton Abbey. And a truckload of other threads.

laugh.gif

• Members

It was a shame just how regressive his Star Trek was, both in the very conservative male leads and in the treatment of women. It took anything that made the original Star Trek special and turned it into nothing. What a surprise that the hype machine tried to say this was better than the original and the ideas only found value through Abrams. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would have loved that...

It's strange how Felicity got so much attention in its first season and then after that seemed to fall off the radar. I guess that the WB had a big head of steam around the time of the first season which started to fade after that.

What did you think of Amy Jo Johnson?

Do you think the show could have gone on longer?

Who do you think was the best actor on the show, or someone you wished had a bigger career than they've had?

• Members

I thought the supporting cast of characters were far more interesting than Felicity herself.

That said, this show was perhaps the biggest (and cheesiest) rip-off of My So Called Life (one of my favourite shows of all time, thought it barely lasted a season on ABC) I've ever seen. Although, the characters weren't as gritty and soulful. It was like if you took MSCL and brought it to a college setting with some minor tweaks. I remember the pilot (which JJ Abrams wrote) being almost a complete rip-off of the MSCL pilot, with almost the same WG Snuffy Walden background music blazing in the background as Felicity recited her voiceover in the same fashion Angela Chase did giving a recap of her life and why things were the way they were. If you guys haven't, you should really look at the pilot of both shows to judge for yourselves.

• Members

Honestly, the new movie was the first interesting thing about star trek for me.

I think the reason it got so much attention the first season was the pilot was so well written and done, especially for a WB show.

I loved AJJ as Julie. I actually think losing her though was not a big loss, because the show has so many other supporting players. However, if she had left any earlier it would have been a different story. I do think that if she had stayed a megan/shawn/julie/noel/elena thing would have happened and that would have been fun. But back to AJJ, i think she did very well and was surprised at it actually. The rape episodes and the aftermath were very well acted.

No, i do not think the show should have gone on longer. The four years of college was perfect. However, if it had gone on i do think keeping Felicity in NYC and letting her get more into architecture would have lent itself well to life after college.

The best actor? That is really hard. I actually think that everyone was very, very good. Perhaps Amanda Foreman (Megan), and i wish Tangi Miller had a bigger career.

I actually love MSCL and do not think they are much alike. Aside from the plots being about a young girl trying to find herself and dealing with life and relationships. The tone of both shows actually is similar, but thats not a bad thing. Its a drama thats treated like a drama and the only comedy comes out of real situations. but the biggest rip-off? i just... couldnt disagree more. I mean, Life as we know it alone comes to mind as a much bigger and more direct rip off. Hell, i would say Dawsons Creek barrows more from MSCL than Felicity.

But i do agree, the supporting characters were far more interesting, but i think that is because they had a limited exposure. And for every Megan, Elena, and Javiar there was a Molly, Avery, and Lauren, so i dont know.

• Members

Maybe I'm basing it off the pilots more than anything.

Ohh, here's an article on the subject:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EqrKz10t0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EqrKz10t0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EqrKz10t0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruKmf0B0l0

I wonder if Abrams was a MSCL fan...

• Members

I do see it more in the pilots than anything else, yes, but i still wouldnt say they are more than vaguley similar. Even looking over that article, comparing Noel or Brian? That is far more than a reach. And comparing Julie to Rayanne? Aside from being white females who sing (and Julie didnt even do that in the start), there is nothing comparable.

I dont know about JJ, but the dvd commentary on at least one episode mentiones Thirtysomething (by the episode director) and i think Ken Olin also worked over at Felicity.

• Members

tongue.gif I know!

Can this show be called the only actual J. J. Abrams show? Or then again, maybe not. He has created a few, you know which they are, but he was usually there for a first few seasons and then left, I'm really wondering what it would be like if he helmed a show from season one to six or seven. Not that it will ever happen now, considering all his film producing and directing gigs.

As for My So-Called Life, I guess it's one of those cases where a certain alignment of planets never happens again. I mean, Edward Zwick is now directing and writing stuff like Love and Other Drugs?! blink.gifph34r.gif

Marshall Herskoitz hasn't been seen since Quarterlife and Winnie Holzman, the creator, is doing stuff like Wicked or Huge.

mellow.gif

Archived