Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Members

I didn't see a thread for this on its own.

This was the soap which was said to have changed daytime drama forever, with the emphasis on "youth." Of course it started out as something which would, sadly, not change daytime, a tale of a mixed-race woman and her interracial relationships. Then moving towards making daytime superstars out of David Birney, Leslie Charleson, and Donna Mills, this show also helped launch the careers of Paul Michael Glaser, Michael Zaslow, Beverlee McKinsey, Andrea Marcovicci, and Bibi Besch, among others.

It's too bad the show didn't go on longer. At least, unlike some other soaps of that era, we have some episodes available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQ1uxKl6NY

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Members

John Conboy "the Ross Hunter of Daytime Television"- so true!

Going back to David Birney, I always assumed he was offered better money by ABC to move to A World Apart, perhaps with the added promise of primetime roles. That is the only reason I could see him moving to a lower rated show. It seems odd that he would be asked to take a pay cut.

Maybe someone else knows the true circumstances.

Keep the classic stuff coming Carl!

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I know! I wonder if they ever interacted on the show?

After Capitol ended I would have loved seeing them bring in Constance as some sort of rival for Alex, perhaps she could have been related to Jennifer and this could have brought Jennifer and Amanda Spaulding back to town.

• Members

I haven't followed CT's career like CT_Helena_Fan, but of the roles I've seen her in, she's quite versatile and equally comfortable and convincing as the white hat, the dark hat, and I guess the gray hat (?) in between. Even though her Audrey on Y&R was annoying, she totally sold it. I remember a lot of message board comments comparing her Helena energy to Beverlee's Alex and Susan Flannery's Stephanie. Of course neither of those ladies are as cutthroat (literally!) as Helena, but the whole ice queen thing I totally get. I'm really going into a soap relations pretzel here lol but I wonder how she would have done in Beverlee and Marj's role as Alex where she would have been able to play the naughty and nice.

• Members

Marj Dusay, Miss Recast herself, once spoke of the many connections in the soap biz saying that it was like they'd all pricked fingers and became blood siblings once upon a time. There are these soap archetypes that can be filled by so many members of the big soap rep company.