All: Favorite Mother/Daughter Relationships

• Members

don't think this has had it's own topic recently...so.

What are some of your favorite mother/daughter relationships on the soaps past and present?

For me:

GH:

Bobbie/Carly (SJB's tenure especially)

Monica/Emily (I could always just feel how much Monica loved her. As much as one of her own.)

Bobbie/BJ (Such a heartbreaking story)

Felicia/Maxie & Felicia/Georgie (Before they destroyed it circa 2005...Before that, there was SUCH a great relationship there.)

Lesley/Laura (Two powerhouse actresses, real connection there)

Y&R:

Traci/Colleen (Lyndsy Fonseca and Adrianna Leon's tenures)

Ashley/Abby (I think Marcy Rylan and Eileen Davidson have great mom/daughter chem.)

Liz/Jill (such a heartwarming relationship. Idk why..Just always loved it.)

Nikki/Victoria (some of my favorite Nikki scenes are her putting Victor in his place over his treatment of Vicky. I love Nikki's fierce loyalty to her daughter)

Day's:

Laura/Jennifer

Maggie/Melanie (I know she's not really her mother, but there's such a great motherly vibe there. Far more than between Mel and Carly, IMO.)

OLTL:

Dorian/Cassie (Love.)

Viki/Jessica

AMC:

Erica/Bianca

B&B

Stephanie/Felicia (I just think Leslie Kay and Susan Flannery light up the screen together.

Steffy/Taylor (Love when they scheme together.)

Beth/Katie/Donna/Brook (I always liked Beth's relationships with her daughters.)

I'll post more later if I think of them...Feel free to post video clips as well!

Discuss!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL:

Viki/Megan -- the only parent/child relationship I've ever really believed with Viki

ATWT:

Lyla/Margo

Susan/Emily -- mostly when Melanie Smith played Emily; these were two very damaged women who had never been a proper mother and daughter and were still working out the kinks, yet could also have some fun, bitchy sessions

AW:

Ada/Rachel. Just a wonderful relationship, so special, and honest, and full of love. Rachel always said Ada was her best friend.

Donna/Vicky

• Members

I think my favorite of all-time is ATWT's Susan & Emily. And I only watched in the 2000s! But I just :wub: 'ed their relationship. Some others that stick out:

AMC: Marian & Liza

Mona & Erica

Erica & Kendall

AW: Ada & Rachel

Donna & Vicky

Felicia & Lorna (Alicia Coppola)

ATWT: Lucinda & Lily

DAYS: Maggie & Melissa (even though Maggie isn't her real mom)

Laura & Jennifer

Marlena & Sami

Julie & Hope (even though Julie isn't her real mom)

PSNS: Rebecca & Gwen

SB: Sophia & Eden (loved the psychological layers in the beginning and at the end)

• Members

My faves were always the ones which were't always bio related. Love the bad girl/stern loving mother thing,the ultimate was ATWT's Nancy and Lisa. Nancy Hughes, pre all loving town matriach was the iron fisted brook no compromise town matriach who for some reason had soft spot for town slut/trouble maker Lisa, and was the only one to the very end who could put her back in her place ("Lisa dear, your NOT helping things!")

I also loved Geraldine and Raven on Edge...who really had the same dynamic, though Geraldine was even more imperious and Raven was even more of a trouble maker...used to love Geraldine, who would kick anyone's ass for the slightest thing would just roll her eyes at Raven, and Raven, who would listen to no one would always tow the Geraldine line (kinda/sorta.)

Though she wasnt on until almost the very end, and half the time the actress was sick, I loved GL's Aunt Meta's interactions with not only Chelle, but the rest of the female cast...Mary Stuart had great chemistry in short scenes with everyone from Reva, Blake, and Harley (she had a really great scene in the cop station with Harley, who was feeling very down and Aunt Meta told her she reminded her of herself when younger, trying to do the right thing but sometimes screwing up..) to the storyline that Labine started where she was kicking Claire's ass. You could tell the actresses had respect for Stuart just like the characters did.

And as much as Lily annoyed me, I loved the later Lily/Lucinda scenes, when they kinda learned how to live with each other. Byrne and Hubbard had worked together so long, they both had a "real," relationship on screen, loving but exasperated with each other...(loved Byrne rolling her eyes at yet another Lucinda but in and Hubbard's sighs and throwing her hands up when Lily would do yet another dumb ass Lily thing.)

• Members

Y&R: Katherine/Nikki, Liz/Jill, Dina/Ashley, Dina/Traci, Traci/Colleen, Nikki/Victoria, Drucilla/DavettaLily, Joanna/Lauren, Jennifer/Chris/Lorie/Leslie/Peggy, Mackenzie/Amanda, Mary/Patty, Lillie Belle/Olivia, Lillie Belle/Drucilla, Mamie/Drucilla, Sharon/Cassie, Nina/Flo, Anita/Brittany, Doris/Sharon

OLTL Viki/Jessica, Viki/Megan, Dorian/Cassie, Addie/Blair, Blair/Starr, Dorian/Adriana

ATWT Lucinda/Lily, Iva/Lily, Emma/Meg, Barbara/Jennifer, Jessica/Bonnie, Susan/Emily

AMC Erica/Mona, Erica/Bianca, Erica/Kendall, Pat/Angie, Liza/Marian, Opal/Jenny

GH Laura/Lulu, Laura/Lesley, Felicia/Maxie, Felicia/Georgie, Monica/Emily, Lila/Tracy

B&B Stephanie/Felicia

• Members

From my childhood memories when my mom watched, they were very Erica/Mona (obviously), especially when the late Roya Megnot was playing Ava. I've said this before, but Roya's Ava reminded me of a mix between Erica and Andrea Evans' Tina. I hope more of her work pops up on YouTube, I'd hate for Ava to become a forgotten vixen like, say Somerset's Pammy Davis (who I've never seen).

Mother/daughter relationships I wish I could have seen:

-Sadie/Clara (OLTL)

-Phoebe/Ann (AMC)

-Ada/RS's Rachel (AW)

-Sylvie/Iris (AW)

• Members

I guess Agnes really knew how to write mother/daughter relationships.

It's kind of sad because when I was trying to come up with a list I realized what a tough time I was having. Generally, and especially in recent years, daytime has failed at writing compelling mother/daughter relationships. Sadly I think some on soaps now would say compelling = sleeping with the same man.

Archived