Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Matt the character had a lot of potential and it is unfortunate that he was forgotten. He had relationships/friendships with both Ashley and Nikki - similar to Lucas Prentiss and Leslie/Lorie. There was some mystery hinted at about his past in South America but for whatever reason bill bell lost interest and Matt was gone.

i hoped that he would return-he could have been the Chet character that kidnapped Victor-maybe he turned bad and resented his wealthy brother. Or Victor gets word that Matt has died,leaving a teenage daughter who comes to live with the Newmans. Just the frustrated writer in me...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ashley in the beginning went from one man to the next, or so I remember it that way. She was with Brian, then that ended but she had already met Eric, though I don't think she like him straight away, then I remember her going to Europe and meeting Marc and I swear she called off her marriage to Eric and dated Marc, is that right? Something along those lines. Was Eric the guy who had a relationship with Dina? I am sure that was him.

Also When she first appeared Jack was trying to get her to help him undermine Jill and John's relationship and she also battled Jack at Jabot. Someone just posted some old clips of Ashley confronting Dina when she first turned up in Genoa City and Jill (then Deborah Adair) telling her to get out of her house. Also one scene where Ashley is lying on Traci in a hospital bed and yelling at Dina to leave them alone, it looked like Traci was dead, was this a dream? I don't remember this happening.

Yeah Amy was great, sorry she didn't get more to do. She was friends with Traci and hated Lauren if I remember, also stuck up for Traci where Lauren was concerned. I thought Amy had better chemistry with Steve Ford who played Andy and Doug had more chemistry with Colleen Casey who played Faren.

Jill and Victor worked chemistry wise, but Jill became such a little girl when she thought Victor was going to propose and was crushed when he didn't, that annoyed me, Jill was never like that with any man but Phillip Sr. I always liked that she never loved another man like him, that she had hardened herself after that, when Brenda was playing the role you could never be sure if she loved John or not, she would have these scenes when she was fighting for her marriage after the miscarriage and when Dina and John's divorce was declared invalid, where she would cry and strongly state she loved John and wanted their marriage to work, then she would be on the phone to Liz acting like it was all a game.

I remember my favorite scene was when Jill was being kicked out of the Abbott home in 1985 and she gave this heartfelt speech to John about how much she loved him and wanted him to be okay and happy, then walked out the door and said if it's a divorce you want, it's a divorce you'll get. Gee when Brenda was good, she was amazing in that role, sorry it ended the way it did.

Wanted to add Terry Lester was definitely leaving the role in 1985, or at least the rags at the time were stating it that way, then the show Paul Raven mentioned didn't get picked up he was back. I don't remember his replacement, but then I didn't remember Melinda O. Fee filling in for Brenda in 1984 either until I saw it on youtube, so glad that is around and thankful you guys write up the synopsis you have and have these discussions, I have such a bad memory, I blame childbirth :lol:

Edited by supes81

• Members

Can you post a link to these videos please? I love vintage Y&R :)

I am so curious what would have happened if JLB hadn't left the show in the early eighties. What would have happened to Lori Brooks? Was there even room for Lori back then? Would she marry Victor, fight against Ashley, marry Jack and basically have Nikki's stories? Or perhaps Jill's once Brenda Dickson was out?

Edited by Elsa

• Members

I wonder if Lorie would have worked without her family? I think they sort of provided another side for her.

Do you think it was a mistake to kill off Jennifer Brooks?

On the subject of Terry:

From the 9/24/85 Digest, Tony Rizzo's Reel to Real.

• Members

That's a shame about the stuff with Bell and Dorothy (Green?). I remember reading that during the breast cancer story, her mother and a close friend died very suddenly. I wonder what her mental state was during all that time.

Do you think there were any major cast members from Y&R's first decade who could have adapted to the new format if they'd had the chance?

I know she was more in the "new" era, but I thought Meg Bennett was pretty good in that embarrassing cameo she had during Victor's big stud tour.

• Members

I guess that was one of the reasons they had to clean house around 82 - a lot of the actors you mentioned were gone. I wish Tom Ligon could have stayed. Did they pair him up with someone else, or try, after Lorie/Leslie? I thought I saw that in a synopsis but wasn't sure.

• Members

Yep.

It was for the best though & Bill was extremely lucky with new cast members like Terry Lester, Eric Braeden, Meg Bennett & especially MTS.

Braeden (like Geary) is given most of the credit for Y&R's current success but like Genie it was MTS that really carried things.

He had brief relationships with Casey & Karen but mainly was a shoulder for Leslie & Lorie.