Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Not only that, but even after David threatening Cricket with messing up her face a few months before, I will never get how she didn't just arrest him right then and there.....it's all really creepy in retrospect but I guess there wouldn't be a story if things ended realistically!

Oh I'm sure Braeden just loved all of that!!  LOL

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Did anyone like Victor and Cassandra as a couple?

It wasn't long after the 1990 episode yrfan1983 recapped that Victor would take little Victoria to Switzerland, and was gone for a few weeks. I pinpoint this departure to coincide with Eric Braeden taking time off for his role in the miniseries Lucky Chances (based on the Jackie Collins novels).

Edited by kalbir

• Members

They had a nice chemistry, but more like a fling.  

I remember when little Victoria left, I was mad because I liked Ashley Nicole, haha!  And was resentful at first for the SORASing when Heather Tom debuted.  If I only knew what an amazing contribution she would be to both YR and BB!

• Members

Here's the last of my Paley recaps - "Jessica tells the family she has AIDS" - estimated air date September 1988

My main comment is that, though I am typically a sucker for these types of stories, I was not moved by Jessica disclosing her illness.  I'm not sure if it's the actress, or maybe because I hadn't seen the whole story of John and Jessica's romance.  Anyone remember this story and have an opinion?

Anyway, here's the recap!

= = =

John and Jessica exchange vows at the Colonnade Room – also present: Cricket, Jack, Ashley, Traci, Steven Lassiter, Mamie, Brad, Skip and Danny.  Skip takes a pic of all the ladies, and then all the gents.

David walks into Jill’s office. Jill is depressed about John’s marriage… it’s so final now that Jill will never be with John again.  Jill can’t help remembering her wonderful past with John.  They talk about how Chase is targeting Nina.  Chase walks in. 

Victor shows up at Leanna’s hotel room. He wonders how she’ll serve lunch with no kitchen.

Nikki plunks at the piano (her love song with Victor – Through the Eyes of Love).  Miguel comes in.  He comments that Victor seems calmer since learning of Nikki’s pregnancy (weird comment for Miguel to make). Douglas enters. 

Cricket tells Danny that she’s worried about Jessica telling the family about her illness.  Jack toasts John and Jessica – he calls them soulmates.

Chase tells Jill he couldn’t make it to his “poolboy” assignment at the Chancellor estate because of his work at Jabot.  Jill says the “poolboy” assignment should be top priority.  She says it’s time for him to get Nina alone, off the estate. 

Rex and Nina at the estate. He reminds her to keep working on her good attitude.   She recounts how she asks Phillip about how work is going.  Rex thinks this is good progress.

Douglas says he doesn’t know what’s going on with Victor these days – he tells Nikki to check with “Victor’s new writer” (Leanna). Douglas doesn’t like this new writer, but Nikki isn’t worried about the writer, and is glad Victor is opening up to the writer.

Victor toasts to Leanna – tells her she’s very attractive and sexy. 

Traci asks where John and Jessica are going for their honeymoon, but John is keeping it secret.  John whispers to Jessica if she wants to go through with telling the family about her illness – she says yes.  Ashley wonders who is getting married next, and looks at Cricket.  John tells Skip thanks and tells him he can leave.

Nina is discouraged and impatient.  Rex tells her it will take some time.  Nina says she can’t wait around for something that might never happen.  She looks out the window and sees Chase the pool boy.  She excuses herself.  Rex looks out the window and sees Chase also.

Nikki calls Connie and gets Leanna’s contact info.

Nina shows up at the pool in her bathing suit. Chase appreciates the suit. Nina says she’s thinking of skinny dipping. They flirt and talk a lot about skinny dipping.

Jessica tells everyone she has AIDS.  Jack looks thrown.  Ashley looks empathetic. Traci sheds a tear. John recounts their courtship and how he came to terms with her diagnosis.

Leanna recounts to Victor her airplane ride yesterday with Victor – he had told her they were jetting to a tropical destination, but really they were just circling Genoa City.  She says she’s learning a lot more about him.  She really wants to set the record straight to the world what a remarkable man Victor is.  Victor asks if Leanna is falling in love with him.  Nikki interrupts with a phone call and asks Leanna if she can come over.

At the pool, Nina dances to “Do you love me” from “Dirty Dancing”. Chase wants to take Nina to the Danny Romalotti concert but it’s sold out.  Nina says she is friends with Danny and can get them tix.  They make a date.  Using binoculars, Rex (from the living room window) spies on them dancing.

Ashley tells J&J that everyone is silent just because everyone is surprised.  J&J want everyone to make their own decision about how much contact they want with Jessica – meaning do the Abbotts want to live in the same house as J&J? Do they feel comfortable that they are not exposing themselves to HIV, living in close proximity to Jessica?  J&J says they have done their own research and feel comfortable sharing the house with the family, but they want each person to make their own decision, and they will not be offended by anyone's decision. Ashley and Traci hug J&J.  Jack hugs John but skips hugging Jessica. John hugs Cricket and calls her his "third daughter". J&J leave.  Everyone is very somber. 

• Members

Thanks!

Please register in order to view this content

I believe this one is from August 22, 1988!  

I have seen more of John/Jessica in the 1989 episodes when Jim is in the picture, and their story always was a bit boring to me though I appreciate the importance of the aids stuff. 

I guess this was the first sign they were  transitioning Jill's character with Jess from Brenda Dickson with her confiding about her past with John....i wonder when was the moment she fully turned on David though.

the Chase/Nina stuff sounds fun, I hate how ultimately it wasn't meant to be with them but I'm glad Chase developed genuine feelings for her later.

Nikki scheming against Leanna sounds fun.

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

I guess since AIDS still had such a stigma, BB felt like Jessica had to be portrayed as a saint to be accepted by the viewers.

By Mid-89 - Cricket, her insta-family, and her 4 suitors had taken over the show!

I really liked Chase in this episode... more morally ambiguous. Up through the end of '89, he had both romantic and business story. After PB took over as Jack, Chase had some Jabot scenes with him, but then that faded out, and Chase was mainly support for Nina.

• Members

YRfan23, do you have an episode guide saved somewhere? You're really good w/ original air dates

Ugh, tying Cricket to the Abbotts allowed her to eat the show even more. I remember Soap Opera Digest named Cricket as Most Overexposed Character in one of the best/worst issues in the late 1980s.

I believe Chase was gone sometime in spring 1990 but I don't recall how he was written off.