Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

People have indeed uploaded vintage Y&R to youtube, but for some reason, as soon as any material from the 1970s pops up, it gets tagged for copyright infringement and deleted. We see more scenes and eps from later decades than we do of the show's very best years: the 1970s.  I don't understand this.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Y&R (and B&B) are especially targeted, and unfortunately it isn't limited to the 1970s episodes (although it certainly seems worse for those years since the material from that era is much more limited than later decades). It wasn't that long ago that I finished being on some six month probation or something like that from YouTube for a private, well-hidden Y&R episode I posted nearly a decade ago. And I certainly can't hold on to any B&B episode I've ever posted. I don't want to risk losing that channel for many reasons, including sentimental ones, so... It gets really annoying having to reupload stuff, which is why I appreciate the effort by those who do. I know exactly what it's like having those videos get taken down.

• Members

There are many soaps available on youtube, spanning several decades, and apparently their copyright owners don't care too much. God only knows why Y&R and B&B material is targeted for deletion so relentlessly. I agree that even the more "recent" stuff gets taken down too, but episodes from the early years comes and goes in the blink of an eye, no matter how well they are hidden or uploaded with obscure titles. Even uploading "private" videos doesn't keep them safe forever.

What was the Y&R video that got you into hot water? 

• Members

Who knows why SONY/CBS does this crap..... I'm glad I'm able to keep all my uploads unlisted since my first channel became terminated, but I still wish I could make my videos public...it's just not fair....I really am starting to believe all the jokes that they don't like people watching any classics because they want them to like the current stuff.

There are actually almost consecutive episodes of B&B 1989-1991 uploaded, but it's dubbed over in Polish...or you can hear the English voices, but this monotone polish voiceover is thrown over top of the voices, so it's not the greatest, but still, since hardly any early B&B really services this is the closest we have! 

I still wish I had watched or even saved all of those Y&R German dubbed 86-87 episodes way back.....again I can't understand any of it, but that was the only time consecutive episodes of those 2 years were posted....I think they also had some of 1988, and late 1995 too.

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Some Christmas 2002 episodes, and a 1995 episode for B&B. I think it's the music in those instances because they featured both Christmas music and JT singing and that's how they found them despite being private. I guess whatever they use to find the music doesn't care if it's a private video. SONY also took down a DOOL I had posted but then, later, released the copyright claim. Go figure.

• Members

If SONY were smart, then they would launch a subscription service that allows online users to watch old episodes of Y&R and DAYS.  But, as someone suggested upthread, doing so would remind folks that today's soaps are abysmal.

• Members

I think so too, partly

Or just rerun them on Pop ... sigh

They (and Procter and Gamble and ABC) are leaving money on the table. I guess maybe the end result wouldn't be worth converting or whatever they have to do, but still ... it feels like they're missing out.

I mean, even just putting up their own youtube site? Or on their websites? I'm sure many would even pay a small fee for monthly access.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Music rights are very difficult to negotiate. It took years before WKRP in Cincinnati had a proper release.

Then you also have the consider proper compensation for everyone involved with the show. B&B seems to have figured something out with their (foreign only?) DVD releases, but I doubt that soap contracts had many lines about rebroadcast. SoapNet probably forced some changes.

I think the greatest possibility is a streaming service, but whether it's worth the time and energy for compensation, plus the hassle of distribution as compared to the amount of subscribers it would actually get remains to be seen. I would imagine that most if not all the remaining soaps have investigated it to some extent.

Right now, I'd settle for soap mags to be digitized.