DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

5,036 posts in this topic

The smile does seem a bit forced.

I think Jill's job was to help Katherine through her drinking bouts and with her screwing around with stablehands.

Brenda Dickson looked hot in every picture and, while I like Jess Walton, wish that she still played Jill.

Damn, guys had HAIRY chests back then!

I couldn't believe it at first either. I think this was the soap role he was most known for until he was cast as James Stenbeck.

I do wonder what long range plans Y&R had for him, if any. I think they quickly wrote Jack and Joann out after the Joann/Katherine lesbian story caused a ratings drop.

I do wonder what long range plans Y&R had for him, if any

Not much unfortunately.

While he was good even then Kay Heberle was the real star.

Do you think they made a mistake in getting rid of her after the lesbian story ended? Or should they have never gone into that story at all?

Y&R made definitely made a big mistake getting rid of her.

Though the lesbian story was unpopular (despite making total sense) & Kay made a great everywoman (like Judith Light as Karen Wolek) given the ratings it was understandable why they abandoned it.

She had a couple of great emotional scenes with Herrera & Kayser (one where she broke down about the state of their marriage to Herrera being especially good).

From the July 1976 Daytime TV (Sterling's Magazines Inc). This is the article on pilots that I thought was in the Digest. Is Janice's pilot available? I've seen some of the one Tom Hallick was in.

12-06-2010074938AM.jpg

tion company provided the facilities to shoot the pilot, but actually has nothing to do with the show.

Janice has the musical background called for in this show. She was a concert pianist as a child, and then developed her skills in musical comedy, namely in the Broadway and touring companies of Applause. And any fan of Y. and R. knows her ability to turn out a song.

Other members of the cast include Jeff Corey, Leslie Ackerman, Rhode Gemignani and Jim Cautsi, who plays her piano accompanist, mentor and friend, Charlie Martin. Jim, if you will recall, replaced Lou Criscuolo on The Edge of Night for a short time in 1974 as Danny Micelli.

Ethel and Mel Brez and Allan Mannings wrote the iniital script.

There have been reported problems with the show, involving some of the casting. But everyone seems to be very optimistic about Roxy at this point.

Some reports have said that NBC has definitely picked it up and will be airing it next season. Others say there is no official word as yet. If the show is sold to NBC (or someone else), it will go into official production probably around October. And if the pilot is sold, Janice will have to leave The Young and the Restless.

At this point, everything is up in the air, and the word is, "There's nothing to do but wait." So fans of Y. and R. will have to wait to see if they are going to lose Janice from the show.

But, if they do, there is one consolation. She will continue to enter homes once a week, at night...and she'll still be singing.

Patricia Kearney

12-06-2010074938AM2.jpg

the 1870's. Jeff Adams (Tom Hallick) and Dr. Earnshaw (Sam Groom) meet Jane when they are sent back in time to discover an antidote to a disease from the past that has broken out in New Orleans in modern times. Earnshaw falls in love with the beautiful Jane and does not wish to return to the twentieth century. Adams must convince him that Jane is "a ghost out of the past...you're nothing but a spectre from the future!"

Tom and Trish were impressed with the lavishness of the production: twenty-eight key characters, scenes of a modern Mardi Gras in New Orleans and the Chicago Fire of 1871, and a panoramic view of the Chicago of that era with 113 extras in costume and thirty horse-drawn vehicles. Stunt men, special effects, explosions and fire were all part of The Time Travelers, filmed entirely on the Twentieth Century lot.

Recalling that Irwin Allen was the producer who put Susan Flannery (ex-Laura Horton on Days of Our Lives) on top of that burning high rise in The Towering Inferno, one of the scariest scenes ever filmed, the question of danger arises. According to Tom, the danger was minimal. "In the fire sequence, we worked close to the fire, but it was controlled. It was exciting...explosions, flying debris..."

Tom has been a star of The Young and the Restless for three years, "a good long run," he says. He graduated from Florida Southern College, a double major in economics and speech-drama, and became a newscaster in his home town, Buffalo, New York; less than a year later, he was back in Florida with his own variety-interview show on the Orlando station. A week after arriving in Hollywood, he was a guest star on The Debbie Reynolds Show. Before starring in T.Y.A.T.R, he was a regular on Search.

Tom shares his birthday with costar Sam Groom, both were born on June 13. In addition to Another World, Sam starred in the popular syndicated series, Police Surgeon.

As this is being written, it is not yet known whether The Time Travelers will become a weekly series, but as a spokesman for Twentieth-Century Fox said, "How can it miss?"

Betty Buchanan

Anthony Herrera was on freakin' Y&R????

No. Freakin'. Way.

Way!

I was socked, too. Herrera was so good looking back in the day. I'm suprised he never landed a more full-time role. He could have been the Victor Newman of ATWT but Dobsons/Marland sort of ruined him

I can't for the life of me remember the Janice Lynde pilot. Did it ever air? I remember seeing Trish and Tom in Time Travelers and something else I think they were in together, not sure maybe I am confusing things.

I wish the Janice Lynde show had worked, it sounded interesting enough.

Again thanks CarlD2 for sharing all of this. I just found myself a daytime tv magazine from 1976 which is all about Y&R, I bought it from some website. Hopefully it will be delivered soon and I will have some things to share.

I'd never heard of the pilot at all until I read that (Janice's pilot). I hope someone knows more about it.

If you have a scanner we'd love to see some of the stuff in the magazine. If not then just summaries are great too. I love those things, they're a good memory jog and give details you often don't find in a soap history book.

Carl... the picture in your original posting is so great because it shows a time when Hollywood had GLAMOUR and COLOR. Nowadays everyone is so obsessed with this bullshit "understated elegance". I can't wait for the pendulum to swing back again, I honestly think fashion of the last 10 years will be judged pretty harshly 15-20 year from now as "boring", and "unimaginative". Is it just me, or do Brenda's gold plated hooters in that pic tend to follow you around the room?

So true. I think that fashion is dull now and has been for a long time, but the popularity of artists like Beyonce, Rihanna and Lady Gaga among others shows that a lot of people still want to see vibrant colors and clothes.

And the stuff in that Y&R photo is sedate by late 80s standards.

You see the boobs first and everything else last. :lol: You probably already have this but in one of these from the late 70s I have a black and white photo of her at the beach in the waves, boobs ahoy (I guess it was the black and white version of a color poster?). I will try to post that when I find it again.