Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wow!!! that was truly an epic scene!!! leave it to Y&R to really keep up with the times by having a disco set haha.....loved seeing Lorie having fun and she was really into it with the dancing! it really looked like everyone was having a blast.......

How long did this set last? did they reuse it as something else later? I know there was a dancing place called "The Beat" in the late 80's and early 90's that you would see Danny and Cricket etc... dance at....did this disco become that?

Great to see more of Tom Ligon as Lucas since I only saw him in those brief scenes of Lucas yelling at Lorie for "crashing" Vanessa's funeral.....he does seem like he had a bit of "dry humor' but I'm glad he let lose at the end.....funny how that random guy who dances with Lorie reminded me a little of the actor who played Marco Dane on OLTL....haha

Did Nikki and Paul ever use to go wild at this place? I could see them getting it on here....haha

I notice they seem to cut to scenes instead of doing fade in's......was this already when the show went to an hour in 1980 or are we still in 1978/79?

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Was this around the time that Lorie was trying to woo Lucas back to GC for Vanessa [from what I've read]? Also was Lorie on the 'outs' with Lance at this point? And Lucas had feelings for Lorie too? From what I've read on the history of the show, it always came off like Lucas was in love with Leslie. I didn't know that he had feeling for Lorie too. Talk about one incestuous quad filled with mixed feelings oozing from everyone. :lol:

• Members

The disco would have been a set. John Conboy(the Ross Hunter of daytime) was producing remember.A few years later when Leslie took Brooks to the circus,Y&R built an entire circus set in the studio.

I wonder whose idea this was as it doesn't seem a very Bill Bell notion.Around the same time ATWT had a disco so maybe CBS saw it as a way to hook those young 'uns. . .

• Members

The four "L's" were a complex bunch. Lucas was in love with Lorie, but since she was his brothers wife, he kept his feelings to himself. When Leslie got pregnant with Lance's child, Lucas stepped in to marry her to give the baby a father and the Prentiss name. They also kept the truth from Lance. Vanessa made sure Lorie knew and rubbed it in Lorie's face. Later during Lucas & Leslie's marriage, I think he develops feelings for her and becomes jealous of Lance. Lance didn't know he was Brooks father till about 1981/82.

In one of the Y&R books there is a pic of Lucas (with the beard) shirtless holding Lorie who is wearing noting but a fur coat. I think there is also another shirtless pic of Lucas (with just a mustache) holding Leslie who appears to be semi nude as you just see her bare shoulders.

• Members

Good lord. :lol: I normally don't care for quads involving siblings as they aren't written with balance and they are typically one sided, but this is quad I'd love to see from start to finish. I'd really love to see the scenes of Lorie learning that Leslie is carrying Lance's child. I know it had to be hard for Lorie to lose once again Leslie.

See this is why I want the Brooks/Prentiss/Foster clans to reemerge on Y&R. It's still so much that could be told between Chris, Snapper, Greg, Lorie, Lucas, Lance, and Leslie and add on a newer generation of this extended family (i.e. Jennifer, Brooks, Chucky, and any other possible children) and it'd be way more interesting [with a capable writer] than what's going on right now.

• Members

I think he fell for Leslie when he had to marry Leslie to give Brooks a father.

These clips make me wonder what might have happened if fans hadn't accepted the shift from Brad to the Prentiss brothers. These four helped carry Y&R through the late 70s. Even my father remembers the 4 Ls from their heyday.

I'm so glad I'm getting to see this material, because I always enjoyed the glimpses of Lorie available over the years (minus the 2003 return), so these clips just confirm that view.

This whole scene is set up perfectly. When Lorie is dancing with the other guy, he's a much better dancer than Lucas, but he's also treating her as decoration. When Lucas is dancing with her, it doesn't matter if he's awkward - they're actually dancing, and she comes alive.

I can't help comparing Lorie, who must have been in her mid-20s or late 20s at this time, to characters on the show now like Abby or Summer or Lily, who seem so much older (mentally or emotionally if not physically) and so much more worn out.

It's interesting to see the shift from the downtrodden style of the early years (with even Katherine and Philip, rich as they were, seeming relatively distant from flashiness or excess) to something like this. I guess characters like Lorie, and Leslie (with Victoria Mallory looking so much like those Eurodisco stars of this era) helped ease the transition.

I must say that disco suited this show more than ATWT, where the only character I could see fitting in to that type of setting would be Kim.

I concur that I would have loved seeing Paul and Nikki in a disco.

• Members

My mom, who watched Y&R when I was born (in the pre-VCR days, and worked full-time until I came along), had to follow the story by lip-reading (this was also pre-closed captioning). She still remembers "the four sisters", but not their names, and MTS and EB when they first came on the Genoa City scene. That must have been something else!!