Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the most fascinating thing about Y&R's early years was when I watched a 1974 episode with the Foster clan living in a dingy apartment, and living off check to check and fearful they can't even survive off that anymore. It was a scene that would never ever happen on modern Y&R but it was so brilliantly done too bad Bell didn't keep the class consciousness stories to the forefront even into the 90(there where bits here and there but nothing as substantial).

• Members

Someone once told me about an old SOD article that critiqued Y&R and criticized the show for having too many "rich" people. I have to agree with that fact cause it really did seem like once we got into the mid 80's, mostly everyone on the show (gave or take a couple people) were either rich, married into the rich or became rich by inheriting (IE Nina, Brad) Even the more "blue collar" characters like Scott and Paul probably had some money cause they were married to Lauren who owns Fenmores. Then we had the Hastings/winters, though not rich Nathan was married to Olivia also a doctor and I'm sure he didn't do bad as a private detective.Neil worked at Jabot while Dru became a model so they were also financially stable.....then Danny and Cricket with him being a rock star of course and she eventually becoming a lawyer......in fact I think the only real "non-rich" people on the show were Esther, Miguel and Mamie (though Mamie did become rich later on) I hate to say, but other then that it seems like there were never really that many poor people, or at least around the mid 80's to early 90's.

I don't honestly think that this is problematic but I can see why some people would criticize the show for this....I guess since things were really solid back then (for the most part) the fact that they decided to focus less on working class/poor people never really hurt the show....I thought people said anyway that Bill Bell liked having the viewers watch people "live out their fantasizes" on air, and he definitely did this by having a good majority of the show evolve around "rich, attractive" people.

Edited by YRfan23