Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

There are some more January 1990 episodes up at yr's channel. I originally missed the 1/10 one, but will watch sometime. This is the 1/11 one. Some great stuff here, like Jill's disgusted reaction to Victor foiling her business and romantic overtures and selling her beloved men's line (in later years they would have played wacky music and had Jill trip on the way out). Nina Arvesen gives a very touching, emotional performance - there's something so lost and yet aloof about Cassandra. I just love her work. We also have the start of "good" John Silva. I was never much of an LLB fan but she's a better actress than I gave her credit for at the time.

The only real downside in these episodes for me is Jack, who comes across as extremely bitchy and queeny. I can see why they changed the writing. Terry Lester could play this off. Bergman can't.

Edited by DRW50

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok you guys... here's a big, fat, never before seen treat since 1975. October 1975 Jennifer Brooks mastectomy episode. The biopsy episode is already on youtube, this episode is 2 days later. The caliber of acting here is amazing, Pamela Peters especially...the heartbreak and deep turmoil for Peggy is just palpable in her performance.

• Members

I just saw it.. WOW. I never knew she did anything like that. That was some pretty heavy stuff. One thing I loved about this Y&R episode is how Lorie was trying to blame Leslie for Brad not practicing medicine, and Leslie turned it around and made her SQUIRM. this was AFTER Leslie had been in the mental institution, and yet here Lorie is, trying to saddle her with psychological guilt. also, one thing that made the Peggy scenes so emotional is that a few weeks before this, Peggy had told her mother that she wished she were dead, that's why Jennifer hid her condition from Peg, because she knew how much guilt and turmoil it would cause for her. Peggy wasn't told until the biopsy came back positive and surgery was certain. The scenes where Jennifer is waking up, once again.. CREEPY AS HELL, it's amazing to see just how this show was just a couple steps above Dark Shadows, it's just so very dark, and that's what made it so special. When they try and do darkness today, it always falls flat, because the show isn't produced right for it. Also, look at Pamela Peters compared to the young actresses on the show today. MILES ahead in talent, not one young actress on Y&R today comes even close to being that good, that engrossing.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Bell seemed to sink his teeth into writing for complicated relationships between the Brooks sisters and their mother. It must have been heavy for viewers at the time, but also realistic. I wonder what they might have done with Jennifer if she'd lived longer.

The stuff with Peggy is especially sad, and believable.

• Members

Thanks DeeeDee.smile.png

Okay, I just looked at a picture of her from two years ago and she still looks pretty darn good. The bigger question to ask, I guess would be whether she could act? I don't remember her but I really am fuzzy on that who Blade storyline to begin with.

Is she a strong actress? If she isn't, I suspect she'd get clobbered by MS fans and stans if she took on a role like Phyllis then.

Being a soap fan, I know the dangers suggesting hair models.

Perhaps it's the subtle resemblance to Brenda Dixon in her youth.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

WOW, wonderful to see more of the golden era of 70's Y&R on here! You are wonderful alphaguy! :)

The end scenes with Jennifer were really bone-chilling and sad, she's such a terrific actress.

Who is that Mark guy Lorie is with?

Again I cannot thank you enough! This also was able to hold me over because I just found out that there is a delay in my Latest classic Y&R dvds arriving :(

• Members

Thanks for the classic episode. I agree, Jennifer coming out of it was creepy. The way she was moaning and crying was chilling and Snapper trying to talk to her and pulling her hand off her chest. Dorothy Green should have won an award for her performances during this storyline. I can't believe Bill Bell got rid of her and killed off the character just a few years later.

Lorie had her nerve talking to Leslie that way after she caused her to have a mental breakdown. Janice Lynde was so good. Victoria Mallory in the role was mediocre at best.

Top notch acting all around.

• Members

That's Mark Henderson, Bruce and Regina Henderson's son, and Liz Foster's Nephew (As Bruce Henderson is Liz Foster's brother) This was another one of Bill Bell's incest storylines, Lorie and Mark fell in love, and then we find out that Bruce Henderson is Lorie's biological father, as Jennifer had an affair with Bruce years ago, an affair that was rekindled just a couple of months before she found her cancer. Mark broke off the relationship, although Lorie didn't want to, she didn't care if he was her half brother, she proclaimed she wanted to be with him anyway. And believe you me, that was some controversial sh!t in 1975. Hell, that is still controversial today. Bill Bell and Jamie got a ton of hate mail for that storyline.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Wow I had know idea that Bruce was Liz's Brother and this Mark was her Nephew.......This is the type of family history that will probably sadly never be brought up again.

So did the Lorie and Mark romance cause any sparks with Jill Snapper and Greg or any tension with Liz and Jennifer since she had an affair with Mark? As sick and controversial as this all sounds, it really probably was great material back then.