The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I'd say Tara has had a few significant scenes mostly with Glen, but not enough to carry an entire episode with a very minor assist from Heath. It would have been fine if they had shared the episode with The Kingdom, but to just focus on Tara finding a new group sort of annoyed me. More because it feels like they are just using these types of episodes to delay the things we really want to see. They've used that device too many times now. Plus I feel like they are using it as a well to keep the budget under control, since actors aren't getting that many episodes.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yea, that Tara episode this week was horrid.  The character is a D-Lister at best, and has never been fleshed out enough for the audience to give a [!@#$%^&*] about her.  She's spoken more lines in this episode than in her entire history on the show.  

And for me, all this episode did was expand the (already sizable) plot hole with The Saviors.  There's yet another group that they have been terrorizing for apparently quite some time, yet Alexandria was blissfully forgotten/unknown/ignored, etc.  

I suppose Carol has been roasting marshmallows, knitting and masturbating this entire time in her little house with the white picket fence.  

• Members

I liked it, too Vee, and I didn't expect to.  Tara and Rosita were two characters that were always just "there" for me. Fleshing Tara out, giving her a fun sense of humor helped me 'get' her and start to like her more.

Why is it whenever Negan has a scene I feel like I'm watching a Tyler Perry show.

• Members

Good bye the worst stretch of episodes in TWD history.   I know I am not alone in thinking the show has tanked, as ratings are down 25%.

This episode was the best of the bunch but only for the last few minutes.   Before that it was yet another neverending Negan monologue episode, but this time they were at least smart enough to cut in other characters.   Carol?   How nice she appeared for only the second time this year.   How undramatic that she still is in Garbo mode.  Oh well, at least she stopped crying.   Daryl escaping saved the entire episode and his coming home scene just turned another dud episode into something resembling satisfying.   Hopefully the show has been reading its bad reviews and watching its tumbling ratings and will do some course correction.   Jeffrey Dean Morgan is not all that they think he is, and he and his character need to be on a lot less.   The show can also use some other stories.   Stop showing people nobody knows really, start showing the stars of the show, and develop some of the B listers like Aaron and Jesus.    That soldier guy crying in his cabin?   who cares?

• Members

The finale's ending scenes with Rick and Michonne, and Daryl breaking down in Rick's arms in front of everyone, almost made some of the tiresome slog of so many of these Negan episodes worthwhile. I think stuff like the Tara ep, etc. (and Alanna Masterson's much more prominent presence this year) are underrated, and the big optimistic team exit at the end to get prepared to do battle was nice if a little amusing. That's what the show does well, as opposed to Kirkman's nihilism.

The second half of the season looks infinitely more interesting based on the preview - straight-up war with the Saviors, with the Kingdom and the others allying together. Ezekiel, Carol and the Kingdom are so much more intriguing than Negan, though the exploration of Negan's crew has been interesting.

There's nowhere to go but up, and they deserve the unexpected ratings drop for this. From what I'm hearing the hardcore comics fans and Kirkman are still super-bullish on Negan, but the rest of the world isn't and the network cares about numbers. I have no problem with JDM being around, but Negan's role cannot consist of speechifying and terrorizing everyone for years.

Edited by Vee

• 1 month later...