The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Re: The Kingdom-

Carol: "You're shitting me, right?"

Morgan: "It's a lot."

LOL! Good start to episode 2, Carol's on the nose zombie hallucination aside. Her reaction to the whole circus before and after her meeting Ezekiel was priceless. Equally great was Ezekiel unmasking himself to Carol. "I used to act in community theater."

In other news, Ezekiel is at least the third lead of color (counting Tyreese) that Melissa McBride has major chemistry with. I'm still for Carol and Morgan myself. They've each made each other evolve. Khary Payton's got it, though.

Another cute up up and coming actor among the Kingdom's ranks: Logan Miller, from recent gay indie Take Me to the River, as hapless Ben.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really dislike the new direction of the show.  I knew it was going to be this way, and I don't see any way out of this.   The show is so enamored with Negan that three out of the four episodes so far have been Negen-oriented.   He is on almost every scene, he talks all the time, and his dialogue is very one dimensional and repetitive.   It's boring, he's boring, the actor is boring in the role. 

Then of course none of it makes sense.   Here on this episode we see Alexandria has an entire armory of guns.   Negan and 30 of his top soldiers come knocking on the door.   Why didn't they just go up into their towers and wait, kill Negan, and his lieutenants, and end the battle in two seconds?   The answer is because the comic made Negan into this major role so the TV show will too.  So they can't kill him which means everyone has to accept the status quo even though they had it in their power to win 1-2-3. 

Even Negan's whole premise doesn't make sense.   First he is this terrible leader that kills and maims his own men.   And they haven't killed him why?  No reason other than the character has a 26 episode commitment or something.   Second, he has an infinity number of men.  Literally infinity.  No matter how many people Rick killed, the show just magically has more who can appear anywhere they want.   Well, where were they all this time Alexandria was living in peace?   How about the police woman in the city who took Beth, did Negan shake her down?  No of course not, because he shook no one down until the show needed a villain with an army.    Suddenly everyone knew Negan and Negan was aware of Alexandria.    But didn't Aaron spend the last two years scouting the entire  area looking for survivors?    Did he look everywhere except where Negan's men were--which is everywhere outside of Alexandria?  And then there is that Hilltop city.   They asked Rick and his eight fighters to go kill Negan.  So where did they send him, to not the place where Negan lives.   And why didn't they tell Rick "by the way, he has 600 soldiers"? 

I think I could handle this if only Negan was actually entertaining and did something more than talk non-stop about how badass he is.  It's glum, grim, unenjoyable and not fun.   It is not surprising ratings fell dramatically since the premiere.   Who wants to watch an hour of Daryl eating dogfood?  Which Einstein thought that was must see TV?

Edited by quartermainefan

• Members

It was a more compelling hour than I'd initially expected, with the great Richonne opening bit and the wonderful stuff with Lauren Cohan and Sonequa Martin-Green who always deliver. Jesus was also very solid. Even the kids and their tiresome twee indie teen love affair in the apocalypse (the skates were too much) brought it in their big scene, which I didn't expect from the exceptionally mediocre girl playing Enid, who I only find tolerable with Maggie. I like Carl but I usually have little time for those two together; that said, Chandler Riggs was selling the intimacy of that big moment and it was pretty real.

The night sequence with the car, the music and the pack of zombies was exceptionally shot and cut, with a great showcase for Sonequa and Tom Payne - and again, TWD is utilizing a pool of underrated film and TV directors of color, including this week's director Darnell Martin. To me this stuff is what the show is best at these days, showing people working together with a common goal to defeat tough odds, whether in battle there or in building a community. That may not be cool enough for Robert Kirkman but it's what the show always seem to angle towards on its own, and it's what interests me about Maggie, Sasha and Jesus at the Hilltop. Maggie giving Gregory her full name was also great. And Carl and Jesus looks like fun.

• Members

It was a more compelling hour than I'd initially expected, with the great Richonne opening bit and the wonderful stuff with Lauren Cohan and Sonequa Martin-Green who always deliver. Jesus was also very solid. Even the kids and their tiresome twee indie teen love affair in the apocalypse (the skates were too much) brought it in their big scene, which I didn't expect from the exceptionally mediocre girl playing Enid, who I only find tolerable with Maggie. I like Carl but I usually have little time for those two together; that said, Chandler Riggs was selling the intimacy of that big moment and it was pretty real.

The night sequence with the car, the music and the pack of zombies was exceptionally shot and cut, with a great showcase for Sonequa and Tom Payne - and again, TWD is utilizing a pool of underrated film and TV directors of color, including this week's director Darnell Martin. To me this stuff is what the show is best at these days, showing people working together with a common goal to defeat tough odds, whether in battle there or in building a community. That may not be cool enough for Robert Kirkman but it's what the show always seem to angle towards on its own, and it's what interests me about Maggie, Sasha and Jesus at the Hilltop. Maggie giving Gregory her full name was also great. And Carl and Jesus looks like fun.