DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks so much for posting the Doug & Julie article! They are still my favorite soap couple, after all these years. Bill & Susan said they were allowed input into the wedding and used some of the same scriptures they used in their real wedding. Bill has said that 16 million viewers watched the wedding & an Australian tv channel actually did a satellite feed of the show so their viewers could see the episode at the same time as American viewers.

• Members

I'm glad you enjoyed it. As much of a cliche or an albatross the word supercouple became, it's worth remembering that a lot of these early couples really were important to many people. I didn't know DAYS was so popular in Australia. I wonder if it still airs there.

I really like the photo of Julie and her bridesmaids.

I know that Doug and Julie aren't the same as Bill and Susan, but if you ever want me to post any of those DAYS with the Hayes columns they wrote, let me know.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Thanks, I would love it if you get the chance! I love anything Bill & Susan related. In their book, they say they have kind of morphed into Doug & Julie, or vice versa, lol!

Of course, the term "supercouple" hadn't been invented when Doug & Julie were in their heyday but no doubt they were extremely popular. In addition to the Time magazine cover, they used to be featured in the movie & tv magazines with the movie & prime time stars, and appeared on many talk shows and game shows. They even encountered a Native-American tribe on their travels who were huge fans and adopted them into the tribe. The tribe had to watch the show using a generator but they loved Doug & Julie!

I believe Days still airs in Australia but I think it about a year behind the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I still think prematurely "aging" Doug and Julie – SORASing Hope and relegating Doug to the cliched father role – was the biggest mistake DAYS ever made. Yes, even bigger than that idiotic Melaswen story. They still had a lot of story left in them – SSH was still hella sexy – and DAYS pretty much forcing them out alienated a lot of longtime fans.

Thanks for the Days with the Hayes column. Great fun!

• Members

Sorry. I uploaded the wrong photo on the last one. I will change it. Thanks for the kind words, and helping me catch my error! I do wonder why they would write Doug that way. I know the Hayes said they later regretted leaving, but I guess I can't blame them.

• 2 weeks later...