As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

If they wanted to get rid of Steve, and believe me, Runyon's ego did him in...they should have just had Steve sacrifice his life to save Betsy. After a mourning period she could move on, or yes, write them off together.  I HATED the Rod storyline, I really can't believe Marland was so tone deaf as to make a rapist a "hero" and have him go under the name..."Rod." Freaky [!@#$%^&*] all around and was really the time that Marland himself was wearing out as a writer and became more morbidly self indulgent...(Oakdale just got more depressing the more he stayed on.) 

I agree also that Marland, who everyone raves about his respect for history...sacrificed Betsy and Kim's relationship for Frannie and Kim....when you coulda had both.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^^^^^IKR? It's ridiculous how happy that pic makes me. I adore the fact that they're really friends.

I don't think they sacrificed Kim and Betsy's relationship for Kim and Frannie's. It's not like Kim forgot Betsy existed. I'm sure it was played less, as Kim had Frannie, Andy and baby Chris to mother hen (not to mention Barbara, who periodically needed a "kiddo" speech). Betsy got a lot of Kim's attention for a lot of years.

• Members

I'm up to January 23, '87 on my ATWT watch (first viewing) and the actress who plays Josie Frame on AW (I'm also doing a re-watch of that show) just started as a character named Sage (not to be confused with Carjack's daughter later) who seems to be involved with Dusty. I love little surprises like this. It seems as if AW and ATWT shared many of the same actors over the years (as well as actual characters much later).

I must admit that I don't know what's going on with the ruckle and The Falcon and now somehow the Sabrina storyline is tied into that as well? Lansing has just showed up killing people in Oxford and he was also blackmailing Dr. John D and Rick Ryan. Since most of December '86 is missing, I'm not sure if I"m supposed to know what's happening or if the audience is still clueless. It looks as if there is one more ep in January, one ep in February and then jumps to March. Time to pull out the old 40 anniversary book and see if I can put the pieces together. There's such a fine line between figuring out what happened during the gaps and accidentally getting spoiled!

On the plus side, Jessica Griffin has just showed up! I'm looking forward to seeing her early stories. I'm losing interest in the show a bit right now - probably because of the gaps. But nothing seems to be HAPPENING in Jan '87. It feels as if the show is treading water. The Sabrina storyline isn't interesting me much but, again, I missed a lot, and am trying to put pieces of that storyline together when the audience may just not have it all yet. I'm kinda hoping that, after the February jump, the Falcon and Sabrina info will have come out and it'll move on to something else.

Oh, and so sad that John and Emma broke up. I knew it wouldn't last because John never had a change of heart but I was still rooting for them. John would've been a completely different character had Emma been able to soften him up. And does she ever have another love interest? (I didn't start watching until 2000 - at that point, Emma was just the sweet old mother giving out advice on the farm.)

• Members

Thanks for that info! I loved her as Josie when I was in high school but I'm on the fence now that I'm an adult. I'm finding that to be the case A LOT as I re watch AW - teenage characters that I liked as a teenager but now, as an adult, not so much. I think that probably means the teenagers are written really well - teenagers should identify with them, and adults should be driven crazy by their stupid teenage antics! Lily is a good case in point - she's such a whiny crybaby!! But I suppose, if I were a teenager, I would completely understand why she reacts the way she does. And, I think I've said it before, but it's a nice change from the too-clever, pop culture spouting teens we get today.

That's fantastic! I can't wait to see them play out over the next few years. I love Emma Snyder so.

• Members

He's a mighty gay man! I think they may be the gayest promo I've ever seen from ATWT. Loving MC as MK as I do, I am not looking forward to getting to the 90's and seeing a different Mike, not to mention a different Rosanna!!

• Members

LOL....What da hell????

No one took a look at this and at any point, said..this is really stupid!!!

I do love that the tint on this is orange, to match SC's skin tone!  Agree, Mike gets much, much, hotter as the years go by, though no less gay, (though in more quiet, sexier way.)

Edited by Mitch

• Members

This is a partial 1994 episode. It makes me feel like I'm there watching again, enjoying what I can (Barbara's story carried the show for me at this time, although I also liked Samantha and Craig) and cringing at Mike and Rosanna just like yesterday. Awful.

• Members

Just watched the lone episode from February 1987 - oh em gee. I found out what Lansing was using to blackmail Dr. Dixon - wow. Ok, that all makes sense. Way to go, Doug M. I also found out that James has kidnapped Paul and Emily - well, at least Paul. Emily didn't seem too concerned in the quick scene we saw her in James' plane.  I'm so glad someone had that one random episode - it explained pretty much everything!

Oh, and Bob and Kim, Action Stars! AGAIN!! (Running to the church) I love it.

Edited by adrnyc
Add Final line