As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

LOL, I had to stop and rewind several times to figure out who that even was. That's not sexy, it just looks awkward af!

I didn't care for Holden or his mullet in those early days, although I could see why Marland went with Holden and Lily-TBH though, it seemed like the show should have ended Holden and Lily when Holden lost his memory as every other storyline after that seemed stretched thin.

Too bad there are relatively few Gregg Marx and HBS starred episodes posted on You Tube. There are some key episodes missing.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yup, he was suppose to be but they changed it later on. During his surgery the part of the brain that functioned as remembering the past was removed. So when it was changed it made no sense...LOL

I think FMB changed it.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

She did change it, but I can't say she was wrong. The brain damage twist just made the character even more cold and unlikeable, which was quite a feat. I've always thought his being such a selfish [!@#$%^&*] throughout 1993 was one of the reasons that fans were willing to accept Lily/Damian. I always remember that scene where Emma finally had enough and berated him for repeatedly dumping the son he supposedly wanted so much on her all the time while he spent time with his latest girlfriend's child. I can't say I was surprised to learn he then dumped that child off on Julie, as we all know what a good mother she was!

• Members

I remember Holden pretty much telling his family and Lily to [!@#$%^&*] off!  I never cared for Lily/Damian pairing....I loathed it!...LOL   Even Luke became more Holden's son than Damian's. Although seeing Damian with a gay son was priceless. It was NOT acceptable!

• Members

Holden and Lily on ATWT were such an oddity to me because they were presented as the show's hot young supercouple but to me it was a definite no! Always felt Lily did better off with her non-Holden men while Holden always came off as an unwashed dolt. Some folks think that Rattray did a good job early on being a colder Lily but once that facade ended she seemed to try to act more and more like Bryne's Lily and just came across to me as absolutely dreadful. Only Bryne could have gotten away with the amount of whining that HR's Lily was doing by the end of 1992. Having MB back with a sexy husband ready in 1993 was even more of a refreshing change for Lily so I indeed rooted for Lily and Damien. The show never allowed for Lily to grow up and while the Holden/Lily/Damian triangle won out we had to endure the latter end of the gaslight mess and then once Damian and Lily are finally allowed to be happy Damian dies. Lily seeks revenge for Damian's death for the next entire year and just about gets it when Holden pops into her life again and despite a lot of secrets and deception they reunite. Oh Damian is actually alive btw but since he's a Buddhist monk now he happily let's Lily go. 

What a clusterfuck! Even Y&R did a better tale of explaining Danny/Christine/Paul. It seemed like a giant waste of four years and even more insulting that Damian later was painted as the villain for some asinine insipid stories the show attempted to tell in its final years. 

I'm still not sure if it was Paolo Seganti's decision to leave or not but at least they could have had Lily mature into something like a Victoria Newman or Sami Brady at the least for ATWT as opposed to still being the same ingenue for just about all of her 1993-2008 tenure. I think MB could have been capable enough but the show never went for it. 

• Members

I thought that HR's colder nature made offset some of the whining - if Martha had been in those scenes I think she may have just played it as hysterical, which would have made me feel no sympathy for Lily. Martha did have more strength in her work when she returned, but for me she was always, at heart, an actress who mostly lost her spark as she aged, and it seemed like she had much more fun as Rose, who was supposedly closer to her real self from some interviews I read at the time.

I think Seganti wanted to leave. In the late '90s he was on the verge of becoming a bigger name but it never really happened, which is probably why he kept coming back. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

To me..Lily was more mature and fiesty when she was married to Damian.  They used to have great maritql fights...both were passionate and fiery together.  

When Lily was with Holden...she alwayd turned into a needy stepford wife.

While Bryne didnt like the business/corporate vibe Lily got when HR was playing Lily...she actually was pretty good when playing business atories.

Lily/Holden worked better in the 80s..and both characters outgrew each other...yet fans didnt outgrow them.  Supercouples saved soaps in the 80s..yet are killing them one by one since the 2000s.  Supercouples are in the mold of a romance novel...they ride off in the sunset....they arent meant to be sustained long term together for years and years.

• Members

I don't know if it was the fans that never let go or just TPTB who were afraid of the falling ratings and stuck to formula. Yes, people would scream for a while but if TPTB stuck to their guns they would deal. Lilly/Holden, Reva/Josh, Phillip/Beth, Carly/Jack, there was no interest in their constant break ups as you know they would return to the same old. If they had the same writer back in the day Lisa and Bob would have still been together, Dan would have been raised from the dead for Kim,etc.

I actually liked Lily when she was with the blond muscle guy in Malta escaping crazy Orlena...though I was rooting for Orlena...