As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Hated John and Emma...it made no sense....(it was kind of like Holly and Buzz on GL later...just put together as they were in the same age range...) The scene I always remember is the feet scene...where Emma comes downstairs in her robe and tells John, right in front of her kids....to come up stairs and they can rub their feet together to keep warm....not something I wanted to think about at all!!!

What made no sense was..I am from farm country, in Illinois too...and farmers are extremely conservative..and there was no way a farmer widow would be banging the town doc and flaunting it in front of her grown children. They also could have had conflict with Emma's earthy conservative "values," and John's sometimes still amoral attitude. But no, it was all about their kids and keeping their middle aged gross feet warm!

Why did Marland break up John and Lucinda? They were gold and John and Iva were as dull as dishwater...and why did no one in the later years get those two together???They wouldnt even need a storyline they would have just been the anti Bob and Kim and bickering and rolling eyes at each other and everyone else in town.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it was to punish Lucinda for her selfishness and neuroses - they tended to punish her by having Lily turn her back on her, but that would never last. John leaving her was a more permanent punishment. It's just too bad they didn't have anything good for him to do while away from her.

• Members

It is strange watching the character of Steve when Marland took over. Prior to that, ATWT was the Steve and Betsy Show. The only other storyline was the Stenbeck Heir saga, and I'm convinced that was only to give Runyeon, Ryan and Bryce an occasional day off. Post-Marland, however, Steve went from being the unquestioned male lead to being simply a member of the cast.Worse for Runyeon, he had to watch his character go from being the good guy to being jealous of the once-reviled Craig. In retrospect, it would have been much better for all concerned if Steve and Betsy had left the show after their wedding, especially since Runyeon had no chemistry at all with Ryan replacement Lindsay Frost.

As for John, if he was to have an anti-Lucinda relationship (in other words, someone nice!), I always liked that doctor (Bethany something?) played by Tovah Feldshue. She matched Larry Bryggman in acting chops and was very likable. I believe other commitments forced her to leave the role early, like Claire Bloom did.

• Members

LOL..as if that promo would bring viewers in!!..(but I have to wonder, were they going to a rodeo or something???)

I have to say, the overacting maniac on SFT really wanted me to see the rest of this storyline which I am sure would be a hoot!

• Members

The overacting maniac is Peter Burnell who can currently be seen as Dr. Mike Powers in reruns of The Doctors on Retro TV. His acting on The Doctors is nothing like what you see in that SFT clip. His work on TD was understated and poignant. When Mike was over the top (for instance when he recently tried to jump off the hospital roof while high on drugs), the performance was dramatic and powerful. Having seen some other bits of his SFT story online, it's clear that the character was meant to be over the top.

• Members

This episode from January 30, 1985 has recently been uploaded. I think it was only on YT in bits and pieces previously. It's always jarring to hear someone refer to Barbara as Barbara Stenbeck. Seeing Frank Andropoulous makes me wonder why he wasn't kept around. It seems like the was the more level-headed of the Andropoulous clan. Sometimes it unnerved me how Steve could sometimes appear like a stereotypical hot-headed ethnic man. With Frank around, at least there was some balance but with just Steve, it felt like an unflattering representation of Greek men.

Lucinda has definitely dressed down since these days. LOL.

Edited by DramatistDreamer