As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

That's really not true. A show having more than one lead Emmy nod has been pretty standard over the years. Many soaps -- including AMC, EON, OLTL, GH, GL, AW, Y&R -- have had more than one actor/actress nominated for a lead Emmy over the years. It was pretty common in the 80s. I remember Sharon Gabet and Ann Flood from EON being nominated for lead actress one year. In 1983, Dorothy Lyman and Susan Lucci (AMC) and Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser (OLTL) were nominated.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Back in those days they had the books like they do for the primetime Emmys (now online instead of a book), with just the actors name, character, show and a picture. So basically nominations were based on name recognition and certain shows were more likely to get acting nominations than others. Over the years, the show bias changed, and part of how you got chosen for people to see your reels was based on how well known you were in the acting community in general. There are some actors who took many years to finally get one nomination or they never did. It just was how it was, now it seems like nearly every actor who lasts long enough in the genre gets nominated. So I find it a lot less meaningful, even if in the past some actors were unfortunately overlooked like many members of the cast of ATWT or actors who were on shows that's ratings were lower by the time acting nominations started for soap performances.

• Members

Regarding Liz Hubbard - given the people who were winning Emmies in this era, like Kim ZImmer (who was wonderful but also very OTT as Reva even in the '80s) or Erika Slezak (ditto), I think Hubbard deserved one. If not for the '80s work, then her work during the takeover story in 1991, which actually was, from what I remember, surprisingly restrained. 

• Members

On a totally different subject, I'm watching an episode from 86 (yes, again) and I know there are quite a few missing episodes but did Craig and Iva ever make love? For awhile, I thought no and then recently, I assumed they did but seeing these episodes again, I see no visual proof based on what I've seen on You Tube. I'm just curious.

• Members

I'm like 75 percent sure they did. I can't recall a specific scene though. I remember Steve running around being pissed they were seeing each other, and I have this odd memory of Craig and Iva like, walking through a field of wheat or something.

• Members

I saw that episode and that didn't show them cosummating their relationship.:lol: Steve was always ranting about Craig because he and Craig had bad blood and Steve continued to distrust Craig, period. He also knew that Craig was still pining for Sierra, so Steve was convinced that Iva would get terribly hurt. Steve and Iva were very close, Steve felt a personal duty to protect Iva, starting from when one of his employees practically tried to jump Iva's bones and Steve caught him, threw him out and fired him. Steve and Iva were so close, that Meg was somehow convinced that he and Iva were having an affair and used to insinuate this to Iva several times (while throwing the fact that Iva had already had an affair with her married boss, Tad Channing).

It's just strange that on a soap opera where I even remember seeing Iva's mother, Emma, in bed with her boyfriends (John, that same year) I don't ever remember a scene with Iva and Craig in bed together, where I've even seen Craig and Lucinda that one time they were together?? I just assumed that maybe Iva's uncertainty about Craig's love for Sierra and her previous rape, prevented Iva from taking that next step with Craig, which would explain why Craig was so hot to get married to Iva (he wanted to consummate the physical part of the relationship).  Even when there was a flashback of their relationship that Iva recalls after her fall, there are no scenes of her and Craig in bed together.  Even though the scene of Craig and Sierra at the Foxwood Lodge is not on You Tube, we see it in flashback a few times, mostly Craig recalling it in slow motion.:lol: and because of Bryant we definitely have the proof.  Also, there is a sinister scene between Craig and Lucinda, where Lucinda implies that Craig knows nothing about Iva's sexual proclivities and he had better find out before he gets intimate with her.

I just always assumed but given Iva's history and her distrust that she was Craig's real love, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped short of that final step. I wouldn't be surprised if Marland purposely left that vague because of where he wanted to go with Iva's character in the future.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

As the World Turns' veteran female talent was overlooked in the lead actress category at the Daytime Emmys. Elizabeth Hubbard, 8 nominations without a win. It took 24 years for Colleen Zenk to even get a nomination for lead actress. Helen Wagner, Eileen Fulton, Marie Masters, Kathryn Hays, Tamara Tunie were never nominated in the lead actress category.

Edited by KateW

• Members

And notice, it didn't occur on ATWT until 2002 when both Byrne and Zenk were nominated. ATWT doesn't even have a Lead Actress nomination until '86 and Liz Hubbard, who'd just freakin' arrived. (Hell, GL didn't have one either until the year before for Zimmer).

Setting aside the fact daytime emmys didn't even exist for the first seventeen years of ATWT's run, it's still ridiculous and convinces me either there was an ingrained bias against ATWT or bloc voting on other shows to get their nominees recognized.

• Members

Thanks for confirming that! LOL....I'd hate to wonder what my brain was thinking if it hadn't been shown onscreen.

Maybe you're right---Tonio was already there to be the bad guy, and it might have made Craig seem like a man-ho to have him jumping Iva (after his long list of conquests) while longing for Sierra. Marland didn't go the obvious route and have Iva come between Steve and Betsy...so maybe it was a way of showing that Craig wasn't "using" Iva to get over Sierra and was reformed.

But it seems really weird to me then (if they weren't lovers) that Iva doesn't get laid on the show until like late '88 or early '89 when Kirk shows up.

• Members

ABC and NBC dominated the first decade of the Daytime Emmys. It wasn't until about the mid-1980s that CBS started getting nominations and wins regularly.

Looking back at the nominees/wins of the lead actress category over the years, it seems as on the whole CBS's female talent was overlooked. Prior to Kim Zimmer in 1985, the only other CBS actress nominated in the lead category was Mary Stuart for Search for Tomorrow in 1974, 1976, and 1977. It took 15 years for Y&R to get a lead actress nomination (Jeanne Cooper in 1989; she also has the longest losing streak before winning the lead actress category of anyone not named Susan Lucci) and 13 years for B&B to get a lead actress nomination (Susan Flannery in 2000).

• Members

So how many ATWT cast members have won Lead Actress and Lead Actor? Was Martha Byrne the first? Also, wasn't Eileen Fulton nominated for Supporting Actress the year of the malpractice suit storyline? I can't stand Fulton as an actress, but I must admit she rose to the occasion that year, and all her work, from Eduardo's death until John humiliated her at her engagement dinner, was stellar. 

• Members

As the World Turns acting Daytime Emmys by category

Lead Actor: Larry Bryggman (1984, 1987), Michael Park (2010, 2011)

Lead Actress: Martha Byrne (2001), Maura West (2007, 2010)

Supporting Actor: Justin Deas (1984), John Wesley Shipp (1986), Gregg Marx (1987), Benjamin Hendrickson (2003)

Supporting Actress: Lesli Kay (2001), Cady McClain (2004), Julie Pinson (2010)

Younger Actor: Brian Bloom (1985), Andrew Kavovit (1990)

Younger Actress: Martha Byrne (1987), Julianne Moore (1988), Jennifer Landon (2006-2008)

Eileen Fulton's only Daytime Emmy nomination was for supporting actress in 1988.

Edited by KateW