As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I just came across that notorious episode where Lily is singing that Bonnie Raitt song I Can't Make You Love Me (If You Don't) :lol:  I laugh because I remember the reaction her rendition of that song (and the manner in which it wast staged on this episode) had on this board.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't remember ever reading that before, so thanks for bring it over. I don't remember what DM's last episode was, but my best guess is it would have aired in June or possibly later. IIRC, soaps then used to be about three months ahead, tape-wise.

Yeah, the first couple of times MB did the song were fine. It was the next fifty that wore out the welcome.

*sigh* Couple theme songs. Those were the days.  **suudddd----eeennnlllyyyyyy, life has new meannn-innng to mmmeeeeee***

Edited by P.J.

• Members

Cute CBS trade magazine ad January 1966

A Picture of Chris and Nancy Hughes

(THE LIVING ROOM OF CHRIS AND NANCY HUGHES. THEY HAVE JUST FINISHED DINNER)

NANCY You seem distracted, dear. Is anything troubling you?

CHRIS: Not really. (PAUSING) Nancy, wouldn't you say we've been pretty honest with each other all these years?

NANCY: A S honest as the day is long.

CHRIS: There's something I've been wanting to tell you for along time, but I haven't known exactly how. It's pretty complicated.

NANCY: Just say it, dear...I'll understand.

CHRIS Nancy, we're on the most popular daytime program in all television.

NANCY: How marvelous!

CHRIS: There's even more to it than that. The CBS daytime programs are now delivering 64 per cent larger average audiences than the next closest network, and 119 per cent larger audiences than the third network. And in each case it's a bigger lead than a year ago.

NANCY: (EXCITEDLY) It's too good to be true!

CHRIS: It is true. CBS daytime programs reach almost as many households as the other two networks combined. As a matter of tact, our programs have averaged the biggest daytime audiences for 8 years. We've been first in every one of Art Nielsen's last 74 reports.

NANCY: He must be a very busy man!

CHRIS: Yes, and there's even more: CBS has 5 of the Top Five daytime programs, 10 of the Top Ten, and 13 of the Top Fifteen.

NANCY: Why, Chris, we have just about everything!

CHRIS: You can say that again. In fact, that's the reason why the nation's leading daytime advertisers spend almost as much money on the CBS Television Network alone as on the other two networks combined. And they've been doing it for years.

NANCY : (DRAWING CLOSE) They've been wonderful years, Chris, haven't they?

CHRIS; The best—and there are many more to come.  

• Members

@Paul Raven, that is cute!  Chris Hughes the data wonk (lol).  If Y&R Nikki and Victor were more likeable I could've imagined CBS doing an update ad like this online.  

Pretty impressive, the sheer volume of daytime dramas on television back then (with what only 3 major networks?!  Did ABC had soaps at this time?).  Surely a bygone era!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Well it's obvious when it comes to Goutman and Passanantate that they didn't care for the Hughes clan with the exception of Casey. They basically got tossed to the side for the Snyder clan, Paul, Dusty, the Stewart sisters, and endless newbies. Part of me hates it b/c the Hughes were misused but then I am glad. I am glad that they didn't bring back any Hughes character for a 4 week arc (as that's what they did in the final era) to be a damn serial killer, rapist, or villain of the month.

I still get pissed over how Nancy's funeral was handled and how the episode was more about Katie than it was Nancy. I would've loved for them to have an episode just centered around the Hughes and them bringing back the likes of Penny, Don, Frannie, Sabrina, Ellen, etc. People who actually interacted with Nancy. I know that Katie has a relationship with Nancy but I never bought it. Nancy was always used to prop Katie, and it annoyed me to no end. 

I do think that they squandered Stuart Damon's stint on the show as I thought he'd've been a great Don recast and someone for Lisa. 

• Members

Goutman and Passanante should've been fired, though it looked obvious that PGP didn't care anymore about either ATWT and GL.

I was checking about the archives and was Roerig's Casey as well as Will, Gwen and Maddie really that disliked? I kind of got why since they (mostly Gwen and Will were on a lot). It's funny considering how people cast nowadays, I'd love to see another Chando, Landon, Soffer and Roerig again instead of what we currently see

Edited by cassadine1991

• Members

I didn't dislike them. I disliked their stories if anything. I enjoyed Gwen when she first came on. She reminded me of early Carly somewhat but then she became whiny and was stricken with 'baby fever,' and I was glad when she got Eliza (her brother Cole's baby with Sofie Duran) and she left town. 

I always liked Will but hated him with Gwen during her baby fever stint. I was hoping he'd leave her ass for the much more fun, Jade. 

I always liked Casey (Roerig and Magnussen versions) and Maddie (Chando). I just didn't like Maddie falling for Noah, who knew he was gay, and I didn't care for Casey/Allison. 

The young adults in the last 5-6 years weren't bad. They all just had horrible stories, which always had the same elements: affairs or who's the daddy. I hate how isolated they were and how they didn't really have career ambitions (minus Luke and Allison). It would've been interesting to see them do more than what they were given. This is the same issue I have with young folks on the remaining four soaps too.

• Members

The show lost interest in the Hughes family long before Goutman or Passanante. The only difference was that Goutman/Sheffer stopped giving Margo and Tom stories, but their stories had been so consistently poor in the late '90s it wasn't a big loss.