As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree @DRW50 about the letter written to Hal, which seemed particularly nasty.  Lucinda wouldn't have even done that!  I could imagine Lily blurting it out to Emily or someone somewhere random and Hal somehow overhearing it but writing a letter, letting Emily take the blame seemed like something quite OOC for Lily, maybe teenaged Meg might've done it.

Frannie was basically Frannie except for the stuff with Barbara, that seemed like a departure from the old Frannie and brand new trait to add interest to the relationship.  Between Iva and Ellie and Babs and Frannie, the early 90s signaled a deep rift between Sisters in the stories.

Last night, I was watching some episodes from March 1990 and was struck by how progressive the love scenes were- they make today's shows seem somewhat tame in comparison.  Caleb and Julie were quasi-graphic for a daytime show.  There was a scene with Lyla straddling an immobile Casey as she gathers her robe around her before she climbs off of him, which I thought seemed realistic. Had a soap tried before to show a love scene between a couple when one was severely paralyzed?  Some soap must have, right?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I loved the edge they brought to Lily under Rattray. And the gas lighting of her with Angel's dad. I remember viewers weren't sure if it was Barbara or Angel but most thought it was Angel …turns out it was her dad. Good stuff!

I never cared for Casey and Lyla…they were so boring together. I don't know who I would have paired Casey with but it wouldn't have been boring Lyla. I can just imagine how awesome the scenes would have been with HBS in the role. 

Sabrina was such a boring character. I didnt care for her story even though it involved Bob and Kim heavily. Add to that her pairing with Seth…zzzzzzzz

I remember Lucinda pushing Susan away as she left her place and she fell off the ladder?? I loved anything that involved Lucinda and a rival….whether it was with Susan, Babs or Iva. 

• Members

Liz was so pretty. She still looked great as she matured.

I have been watching some of the 1979/1980 episodes again on youtube and had a question. Why was Tom Tammi let go as Tom ? I thought he was fine in the role. Deas was playing the part when I started remembering the show. I liked HBS and Greg Marx as Tom & Margo.

Tom got younger as time went on and his history went out the door and the marriages to Carol & Natalie were buried by the time the 80's rolled around.

I remember CZP being interviewed in SOD back in the 90's and she said Deas was her Tom and Colin was her Margo. Which is strange since her first pairing with Tom was Tammi's version.

• Members

When they were all doing interviews for the 50th anniversary (which was, wow, 10 years ago already), I remember her kinda alluding to the fact that the early 80s were her favorite years on the show, so it fits with that. It's interesting because we know how most of the veteran cast (those who were already at vet status by then, at least) felt in that era.

• Members

Thanks for the answers. I wish more early 70's episodes would show up, especially Kim/Bob/Jennifer/John. I heard about how shocking it was when John raped Kim. I can't remember if it was Laura Horton on DOOL or Kim on ATWT that they showed a pearl necklace break and spill on the floor during the attack. 

• Members

I think CZP did feud with HBS. CZP seems to have not gotten along with several actors on the show over the years. I remember reading she fought with Jackie Schultz (Dee), which caused Ariana Munker (Melinda) to leave. Anthony Herrera (James) said his relationship with CZP improved/evolved over time,so I'm guessing they got off to a rocky start.

Getting back to the 1979/80 episodes, I can't help but be fascinated at how campy Dennis Cooney (Jay) is. I don't buy him as  blue collar kind of guy. I keep expecting a scene where Carol leaves the house and he puts on Macho Man by The Village People while dancing shirtless in front of a mirror.

• Members

I believe HBS was a fun spirited prankster while CZP was more subdued laid back…thus the friction in the actors. Their rivalry was one of the best in the show. HBS left because she had a child and I think wanted some time off and Laurence Caso, EP at the time, wouldn't let her and instead he recast the role of Margo with Ellen Dolan. I don't think Caso was a friendly(close to the cast EP) as was Robert Calhoun, who had moved on to GL at the time. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I think I remember actors saying that Caso ran a tight ship instead of the relaxing laid back Calhoun ran. I don't think that HBS request was that outlandish considering it was allowed during Calhoun's run on ATWT. I think that surprised HBS when her request was denied and they just recast the role.

Edited by Soapsuds