As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Very true. After seeing how SB's Craig was compared to the Craig I was used to (Hunt Block), I'd be peeved as a long-term ATWT fan too. His arc into becoming a model citizen and loving husband was all stripped away when they basically made him into a common criminal/international terrorist of some sort. 

Wasn't Dusty studying to be a doctor when Brian Bloom left the show? I always wondered why they dropped that and brought him back as a mobster-like character. Do you think it was b/c Hogan was influenced by GH? He has said in interviews during the time he was at World Turns that his favorite male characters on soaps were Sonny Corinthos and Victor Newman....

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My Craig memories are foggy…but he wasn't sweet and innocent at the beginning….although we thought he was…once the whole Betsy story hit the roof in 83…we found out he was evil….tried to kill Steve in a truck explosion…and I believe he was the one who got caught in that truck and he was the one injured and I think became impotent….went to jail……Lila, his mother, looked like a fool because she believed all his lies….she finally wised up to his dirty dealings..and shady life….I believe she told him off ….later he got out of jail…don't remember how….became a good guy and then Steve was the one that became the bad guy….When Scott Bryce returned after the miscast of Hunt Block and Meeks and Linderstorm….Lord…what awful recasts….I was thrilled….that didnt last as his character was written horribly and trashed…..SB complained about it….Goutman fired him….then after that I think started the MB firing from Goutman as well..

• Members

Jeffery Meeks gave me vibes that he would've been the perfect Rick Ryan recast. I never bought him as Craig. So I was elated when I heard the original Craig was returning. I understand why SB was pissed about how Craig regressed as a character and actually worsened when it came to his actions. 

I grew to love SB's Craig b/c he just fit in perfectly with the cast. It was good to see him opposite Byrne and Hubbard again. He even had stellar chemistry with Maura and Cady, who go on to lack that same chemistry with Lindstrom. 

I just hate how all the soaps in the 90s felt that they needed that one town pariah character, who emulated either Stefano (on DAYS) or Alan (on GL). I felt they wanted to put Craig in that role, which was totally against who he became.

I hate that ideology. That's why I feel like Hogan hated writing for characters like Bob, Tom, Jack, Ben, Hal, and Holden and it showed.

Hal, Jack, and Holden only got stories around that time b/c they were tied to Hogan's favorite female characters: Lily/Rose, Carly, Babs, and Emily. 

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

Actually Goutman fired Bryce because fans weren't liking the story and actually felt bad/sorry for Craig…and thats what Goutman didnt want…he wanted Craig hated and loathed…so Goutman complained how Bryce wasn't right for the role…wasn't playing Craig the way he should be…..this from the man that created the role…who better to know what Craig was all about but him…..

• Members

It sucked...but it wasn't surprising.  Think back to the final days of ANOTHER WORLD, which Goutman also oversaw.  Iris SHOULD have been part of the finale, IMO, and she wasn't.  Same goes for at least a dozen other characters who had played memorable parts in the show's long history.  IIRC, all we got in the end were brain-damaged Carl and a damn gorilla.

Edited by Khan

• Members

True. We had no Matthews or Frames on the canvas with the exception of Josie. They could've brought back Russ, Olivia, Sharlene, Alice,  etc. 

Just like on ATWT he could've brought back Penny, Don, Ellen, Dee, Annie, Iva, etc. 

Goutman is just abysmal and it makes me happy to know that he isn't working at all in daytime. 

• Members

Hudson was hot though! But yea he couldn't act and did he even have scenes with Bob or Kim? I remember a stilted scene with Barbara....(who you would think would have been thrilled to find her long lost brother...) and she mentions have you talked to "Bob Hughes," yet (I always think is so weird that charcters tack on last names, as if he wouldnt know which "Bob," she was talking to.) Hudsons acting talent wasnt as big as his chest though.

ATWT was just so weird back then, no one was connected so bringing back old characters was useless as the Dobs had three character groups (Ariel, John,Dee, James, Babs, Gunner) and(Steve and Betsy/Craig) and (Tom/Margo) and no one else got written for as those character rarely interacted with their own families.

Zarish to give her her due, knew how to trade bitchy remarks and keep up with Fulton so she would have worked as someone other then Natalie.

• Members

I was watching around this time as a little tadpole and a lot of this stuff I don't remember. 

Did Tom call Scott is big brother? I thought Tom was older than Scott? 

I don't remember this Jeremy character. Was that Dani with him? 

This is a first that I've seen Carly and Andy in a scene together. Were they entertaining pairing them together? I can see why they ended up married together. They have instant chemistry. It was funny that Carly was rambling on about Evan given Andy's history with him; he looked like burst into flames over it. 

One of Rosanna/Mike's dull romantic scenes by the Snyder pond. I found this pairing to be so dull. Funny because I liked both characters apart in later years with different actors (McClain & Collier) portraying them. 

I don't remember Scott and Samantha being together in the past either. I only remember Samantha being with Kirk for the most part of her time on the show. 

I do remember Orlena and her poisoning Lily. I never understood why it took Lily forever to realize she was being drugged. She can be so dense at times.

• Members

Yes, Tom was older than Scott, who was supposedly born between the end of OUR PRIVATE WORLD and Lisa's return to Oakdale.  (I think I've read somewhere that Marland originally wanted to bring Chuckie back from the dead (in order to give Lisa a second son to become involved with) but realized doing so would have been too far-fetched for the audience to believe.  Anyway, creating Scott was his way around that dilemma.)

IIRC, Jeremy was Dawn Wheeler's kid.  Dawn, who had been raped by the same man who had raped Margo, died of AIDS.  (Nevins had infected her with the HIV virus; and for awhile, Margo worried she might have been infected as well.)  Tom and Margo became Jeremy's guardians.  Under different circumstances, I feel Jeremy would have been part of the next generation of young adults in Oakdale.  As it was, the head writers (Marland was gone by this point, I think) introduced him without an idea of what to do with him.  After a year or so, Tom and Margo allowed him to go away to school.  We didn't hear from him again.

Edited by Khan