edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

6,095 posts in this topic

All those old SOD articles from the 90s make me sad. Thanks for posting those! :) One of my favorite forgotten ATWT stories from the '90s was the Janice Maxwell story. Deliciously psycho!

Connie Wilson if I recall right was James Stenbeck's mistress who then ended up being murdered. Other than that fact I don't know. Was she related to Sandy Wilson?

I really wish Betsy Stewart had been brought back in the 90s permanently.

Thanks for reading them, and answering my question.

I LOVED Janice! She was a great psycho, and Holly Cate was so good. It helped that she hated Lily and at the time I wasn't a big fan either.

I have a short interview with her in one of the Digests. I'll post it when I can find it.

This appeared in the 6/16/99 issue of Soap Opera News about Goutman's impending arrival. Though I don't necessarily agree with the writer's perceptions of ATWT at the time, I can somewhat relate as who had mixed feelings at the time--one being sorrow over AW's cancellation, the other being the rumored uproar of "AW taking over ATWT" with the crossovers of Jake and Vicky as well as (very briefly) Cass and Lila in addition to ATWT moving into AW's old studios, not to mention Goutman and Laiman going from AW to ATWT as well.

IN MY OPINION

by Maria Gomez

It upsets me greatly to find out Christopher Goutman is going to take over my other "world".

Three reasons this was not necessary:

1. Ratings are up

2. Stories are good

3. Good acting

I have not been too impressed with what Goutman has done at Another World. He didn't do very much for the show. He certainly did not save it from cancellation. He could have done so much, but he didn't. The Lumina story (too Days like) should have been canned from day one when he got there. He fired Mark Pinter(Grant), who was popular and one of the longest running actors still on.

He didn't give vets stories until after the cancellation was announced. Even then,most of the stories are like Emma's, help with the kids and what not. We do not need more of this at ATWT. We need to see more of Cal, Emma, Susan, Bob, Kim, John, and Lisa, etc. I do not think Goutman will make this happen. Is he going to favor the AW characters that are moving to Oakdale? I sure hope not. That doesn't seem like a good idea either. Four new characters just don't fit in Oakdale right now. I am afraid Goutman will make it more their show than it should be. What about who he will get rid of? Who will get less airtime? Most of the characters are good right now. There isn't a need for any new characters right now. The AW ones will be more than enough.

In my opinion, he will not bring Elizabeth Hubbard (ex-Lucinda) back. Even if he does, I don't think the story would be good. Linda Dano, Victoria Wyndham,and Anna Stuart were given no story worthy of them. He brought a new character on for Linda Dano, but she still doesn't get much airtime. One day a week or less does not cut it.

Felicia Minei Behr hasn't always done the best job with As The World Turns but the past year has been very good. The ratings are up and the present storylines are good. What do they think Goutman can do better? This makes no sense to me at all. If it is not broken, don't fix it until it is.

Really I hope he proves me wrong. If he makes the show better that will be wonderful.

Edited by soapfan770

2. Stories are good

3. Good acting

Hmm...not too sure on those. From what I saw of FMB's last year, there was generally not a lot of good acting from most of the more recent hires. The ratings were up, but FMB was a demo casualty.

They were right about the vets not being used, although thankfully at least Liz came back...she sat around for a decade before finally being used again, but at least she was there. I never understood why she was run off that way under FMB. I think that was the glaring example of FMB not really getting ATWT.

Edited by CarlD2

August 25, 1987 Digest (Network Publishing Co.). Cover/interview with Bill Fichtner (also on the cover is the underrated Lindsay Frost -- still wish ATWT had kept her around, Betsy was a very important part of the Oakdale fabric).

10-26-2010061127AM4.jpg

10-26-2010061127AM2.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

From the July 1976 Afternoon TV Stars (Lorelei Publishing Co Inc.)

10-29-2010070515AM5.jpg

10-29-2010070515AM6.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

From the November 6, 1979 Digest (S. O. D. Publishing Inc.). I guess this was a time of transition; a lot of people I don't know that well. And the strangely old Annie.

10-30-2010105339PM.jpg

10-30-2010105229PM.jpg

10-30-2010105229PM2.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

Thanks. Do you know a lot about the maid, or Marcia and Doug? I know a little about Marcia (wasn't she supposed to be a love interest for Tom). Marland wrote them out?

From the same issue, John Colenback talks about leaving ATWT.

I have received an overwhelming number of letters from viewers who are outraged, sad and generally very upset about my leaving "As the World Turns." Many have wondered why I am leaving, many more have asked me - pleaded with me - to "do something" about changing the writers' intention to kill Dan. Let me say that this unfortunate twist is none of my doing - I neither want to go nor had any intention of leaving in the near future. I am leaving because of reasons known only to the producers, the writers and the sponsors, a decision has been made to terminate the character of Dan Stewart, and my contract. I share the dismay of the wonderfully loyal viewers who have written. This letter of mine regrettably answers none of these questions. Television production is an unpredictable business.

There are many things I will now have the opportunity to do: some writing, illustrating a return to the stage (though nothing definite), and a trip to California in October. I take with me rooms full of wonderful memories and associations and invaluable experiences. And especially, the kindness and incredible thoughtful attention of many, many viewers over the years. We shall met again - make no mistake about that.

My very very best to all of you - John

Edited by CarlD2

Sheila was the maid and possible love interest for Tom,but when the Dobsons arrived,I think some past with Steve was created but then she was dropped.

Doug was involved with Annie and his estranged wife Marcia had a past with Dr Jeff Ward,who also had designs on Annie.So a Doug/Annie/Jeff/Marcia story played out thru 79.

Thanks. I couldn't remember which was to be paired with Tom. Was Sheila in prison at one point or was that Marcia?

That quad sounds like something the Dobsons would have done, but apparently they weren't into it.

I have an interview with the woman who played Marcia, I'll try to post it in a few days.

From the July 1976 Afternoon TV Stars

10-29-2010070515AM5.jpg

10-29-2010070515AM6.jpg

I adore the funky groovy 1976 As the World Turns logo. Over the last decade, with retro so in style, Goutman would have been smart to use a modified version of this for the show's title card. Young people would have seen it as fresh, funky and older fans would have had acid trip flash backs. ATWT had such a rich history but Goutman never brought back any blasts from the past or even their children. Fans are forgiving when it comes to recasts and there was so much potential in the show's history. I never realized how radically Marland revamped the show and, in the process, eliminated characters and entire families. I would have rather watched an extended Stuart family or even the McColls as opposed to the sappy Snyder clan.

I agree with you about the Stewarts, but I don't think Marland had much to do with eliminating the McColls. Diana was gone by the time he took over. They asked Cris Leblanc to stay on as Kirk but he said no. Whit was long gone. That only left Jay and Brian, and neither one of them were that interesting.