• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

October 1954 TV Radio Mirror

The marriage of Carolyn and Miles Nelson survived an ingenious effort to to part the during his term as governor of the state, and Carolyn has high hopes their deep, strong relationship re-established on its old, satisfying basis. But a new, unexpected strain throws a frightening light on the future. Will Carolyn's determination and faith be enough to carry her through the time ahead?

• Members

Aside from Guiding Light, out of the dozens of radio soaps I've listened to, Right to Happiness is the most compelling. I know Irna only wrote it briefly, but every era I've heard has been pretty compelling and I believe it was well rated, I dunno why it was never transfered. It would seem natural when GL became a TV hit to pair it with RTH

• Members

This is from the July 1950 TV Radio Mirror. Initially I was just going to post the Right to Happiness section, but I decided to post the whole thing because I love the image of each radio soap having that little picture beside it. It's such a nice way to "see" the story, even if it's just one stock photo. It reminds us how much radio soaps were about imagination.

750TVRM016.jpg

750TVRM017.jpg

750TVRM018.jpg

750TVRM019.jpg

• Members

Interesting that Right remained on NBC when GL had moved to CBS. I have some Right episodes with the Skippy story, and of course there's a ton of GL from this era--the shooting of Ted by Meta after the camping trip with him ends disastrously is actually super intense. It's interesting that Bert started off seemign to be trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Daytime TV January 1973 mentions the top radio serials of 25 years before.

Aunt Jenny - 8.3

Ma Perkins - 8.2

Our Gal, Sunday - 7.9

Right to Happiness - 7.7

Big Sister - 7.7 (I think - it's hard to read)

Romance of Helen Trent - 7.6

When a Girl Marries - 7.4

Portia Faces Life - 7.4

Pepper Young's Family - 7.2

Young Widder Brown - 7.1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

October 1952 Radio TV Mirror Right to Happiness recap.

Masquerading as an inmate of a women's prison, Carolyn Nelson went through dangers, humiliations and privations which will not be easily forgotten. But she would have done even more than that to help save her husband, Governor Miles Nelson, from political ruin, and to expose his enemies. Does Miles fully understand her sacrifice? Is Miles in some way changed toward her?