Emmerdale Returning to Canadian Screens

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, it should be an extra set of revenue for them show if it's successful.

I know Corrie makes a great deal of money off its re-airings on CBC.

The BBC charges its international affiliates a lot for the EastEnders re-airings from what I hear, and charges PBS affiliates in the US a lot for them too (which is why many PBS affiliates no longer carry it), so that show also makes a lot of its international distribution.

• Members

You'd think that BBC America might try again -- at the time they said the ratings just weren't good enough but surely they don't get great ratings out of the slots that endlessly rerun Antiques Roadshow and Cash in the Attic.

I remember briefly seeing Corrie when it ran on Trio about 15 years ago. I barely remember anything other than thinking it looked cheap, and who is that woman with the big blonde thing on her head. :lol:

• Members

I think BBC America gave some lame excuse that it was too expensive to air and buy the US rights to a serial with multiple episodes like EastEnders, and that the show's cult audience wasn't enough to support it. They later aired Hollyoaks for 5 minutes, before letting it die in a graveyard hour a few months later.

I don't get it, BBC America is pretty much a niche channel for most Americans anyway.

• Members

Yeah I never would have started following Hollyoaks if not for BBC America -- then they kept it on their website for a while. They didn't even bother with the graveyard episodes for very long. I have no idea what they were expecting. They went to the trouble of making a recap and everything to catch viewers up on events right before the show began airing here, and then they dump it almost immediately. It's just short attention span nonsense.

I also never would have started getting hooked on the 80s Eastenders episodes without BBC America.

Now all I usually watch on there is a few of the sci fi/fantasy shows.

They can run big flops like Demons but not a soap...

• Members

BBC America is pretty useless to me. I'm never one to rant against reality shows, but daaaaamn, that's all they air ALL. DAY. LONG. Decorating shows, mostly, and Graham Norton. And I don't really have any interest in their sci-fi shows either. I used to watch SKINS, but ended up giving up digital. What's the story on them airing Star Trek TNG? I didn't know it had UK ties.

I thought Trio airing Corrie was a myth! We had Trio for several years, and they aired some random stuff all the time (Laugh-In and Battle of the Network Stars were my faves), but that was a few years after the tried Corrie. And no other station has ever tried to air it at all in the US. Just silly.

Archived