1977 - 20 "Most-Available" Bachelors in Daytime!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol: Is it bad that when I read this thread title, I immediately thought "And how many of these available bachelors are..."

I love these cheesy borderline-Playgirl articles. They're too cute. Joel Higgins!! Hubba hubba! I always did think Edward was a little dilfy on Silver Spoons.

Palmer Deane is new to me. Apparently he was on The Doctors in the early to mid 70s? Any recollections?

• Members

(this part was text only)

(continued from Lee Paterson at the bottom of the last page)

"...night I'd get up in a cold sweat thinking about that final commitment. Little by little a man begins to realize that he was meant to be by himself."

What sort of women does Lee see? Does he date one woman steadily? The answer is: sometimes yes and sometimes no. "There's absolutely no pattern to how I spend my time. Sometimes I find myself dating steadily. But most of the time I like to go out alone. I'm a loner...but I also like people." Lee is extremely friendly and often he'll just wander into American bars and English pubs and begin talking with absolute strangers. "I try to find something I like in everyone that I'm around." In other words, Lee doesn't enslave his life to a romantic pattern of steady dating - which can become, as Lee says, just another way of being married without a license.

Joel Crothers

Joel Crothers is Julian Cannell on Somerset. Joel has gone through enormous changes. Five years ago he gave big parties in his Manhattan apartment, travelled a great deal, and loved the idea of meeting many people. Today he is much more intense and private. He bought a house in the country and began spending a great deal of time there. He has for some time been having only one romantic involvement, and it means a great deal to Joe. He is extremely handsome - very macho and independent. As he approaches his mid-thirties, his good looks have gained strength and character, and a dogged air of determination has developed. Joel is one of those many moderns who now talk less about formal marriage and more about forming meaningful relationships.

John La Gioia

John LaGioia is Johnny Dallas on The Edge of Night. Like a true paisano John has strong emotions and expresses them outwardly - with his body and with words. John isn't showy, just your basic Italian. Any woman who gets involved with John must grow accustomed to his habit of exploding with anger one moment and the next moment roaring with laughter. John LaGioia, however, is, behind a sometimes self-indulgent facade, extremely practical. Up until now he wouldn't consider marriage until he felt his career and life were more stabilized. "What kind of life could I have offered a wife when I first came to New York ten years ago? I had no money. I never knew where my next job was coming from. Being the wife of an actor is murder. I didn't want to deprive my wife of that decency and normality that any woman has a right to expect. But now - well, things are a little different. I've had four or five good years and things are more secure. I think I could marry now. But even if I don't right now, I'm through running around. Any man who reaches the age of thirty-five has lived the so-called 'singles life' and has had enough of it. What really happens is that you settle down without really being married - or you get married. Running around, having an affair with this one, with that one, it takes up a lot of time and it keeps you from doing other things: like spending evenings at home and reading, or just doing nothing and getting away from the world. When you just have an affair for the sake of it, it's like repeating a game, and you start losing respect for yourself and for the other person."

Joel Higgins

Joel Higgins plays Bruce Carson on Search for Tomorrow. Joel is in his twenties and still at that stage of life where just living is an adventure. Before becoming a Broadway (Shenandoah) and soap opera star, he bummed around the world, scuba diving in the Bahamas and living on bread and wine and playing gigs in a Barcelona nightclub. Then he entertained troops overseas. Then he quit bumming and came to New York, where he's not only established a full-blown career but has also become quite heavily involved with an actress. There are few grim "soap" realities in his life - just a great deal of fun and hard work. He's extremely aware of the feelings of others. Once at the Search studio, he became irate with an actress who had been unkind to an actor - in this case one who lacked talent. "You shouldn't have said that," said Joel to the actress, after she hurt the actor's feelings. "Even if what you feel is true, that he can't act, he's still a human being and deserves to be treated like one." With such an uncommon combination of great talent and kindness, Joel will go far in his profession - and in his personal life.

Jerry Lacy

Jerry Lacy plays Rick Latimer on Love of Life. You know the great Humphrey Bogart imitation Jerry did all through Play It Again Sam? That's a little like the way Jerry is in real life, without the outrageous lisp, of course. He is, I mean, standoffish and rugged, and yet he invites attention. The ladies in his fan club work like crazy for him, and in his own strange way he reciprocates and makes them feel good. Watching Jerry at a party is always interesting. He just stands his ground, with a kind of slightly uncomfortable expression on his face, and people come flocking to him. Jerry's effect on people tends to defy the law of social psychics. Divorced, Jerry has been linked for more than a year with Julia Duffy, who is Penny Davis on The Doctors. Jerry takes her to Love of Life parties and she seems almost as quiet as he does. He spends an inordinate amount of time restoring a big old house in Pennsylvania - and Julia sometimes visits on weekends. Jerry definitely has his own style, romantically and otherwise.

Anthony Herrera

Anthony Herrera is Jack Curtis on The Young & The Restless. Anthony looks exceptionally handsome on the show, but TV cameras don't completely show the uniqueness of his jet-black hair set against his naturally pale skin. Even when he wasn't doing too well in New York (when he was miscast on As the World Turns as Mark Galloway) he looked great. The woman who finally is lucky enough to get him for good won't be marrying some run-of-the-mill actor with ordinary tastes. In New York he had a long affair with an older woman who was wealthy and quite prepared to pay his way when he was having trouble finding work, but Anthony wouldn't accept a cent of her money. They had a stormy romance, breaking off repeatedly. Finally, out of mutual mercy, they stopped phoning each other - even though there was still a good deal of love. It was an extremely dramatic relationship, born of complex psychological needs. Anthony has a lot to offer and the price is purely emotional.

• Members

Jordan Clarke

Jordan Clarke plays Dr. Tim Ryan on The Guiding Light. Jordan, a relative new-comer, has suddenly become a leading player on a soap. Fiercely involved with his work, he would much rather talk about how good the lighting was in that scene he just did with Lenore Kasdorf (Rita, the girl Tim loves) than discuss his dates. Obviously his work takes precedence over his personal life. He is casual and easy to talk with, doesn't mind walking around in wrinkled pants. His aura is one of the "new breed" - the technique of acting rather than the pretense is what's important. His Tim Ryan is pure invention and a credit to his abilities.

Richard Weber

Rick Weber is Dr. Tom Crawford on Love of Life. He's very available. A combination of the soft and the strong, he's one of a new group of very young actors who are becoming increasingly common on daytime television. They are more like Ryan O'Neal than Humphrey Bogart or Clark Gable. Young girls like them a lot - and so do producers, who are coming to think of longish hair on young males as synonymous with ratings increases. Rick isn't thinking about marriage - but then why should he? There's time enough for that.

Palmer Deane

Palmes Deane plays Dr. Hank Iverson on The Doctors. Black actors are always being asked their views on interracial romances. Like most actors, Palmer is a liberal. He takes life easily, preferring to go to the gym to improve his body (one of an actor's basic tools) to release tension than sit home and worry if he doesn't get an off-Broadway role. A social creature, he loves to lounge with friends on the beach in New York's brief summer. Palmer is currently the only black actor on the soaps with a running role of several years. A few years ago he had a heavy romantic storyline with Marie Thomas, who played Lauri.

Val Dufour

Val Dufour plays John Wyatt on Search for Tomorrow. What listing of daytime's most-available bachelors could leave out Val Dufour? He attracts women of all ages - not only because he's handsome but also because he's a lot of fun to be with, and sincere to boot. If Val were in a room with a hundred women he would find, effortlessly, something special to say to each one of them. Occasionally a female fan will phone him, tell him that she's madly in love with him, and he, instead of hanging up on her, will invite the lady out for a drink - sort of a kind way of saying that friendship, not mindless passion, would be better appreciated. Val was married once, even had two children by his wife. But he's the kind of man who really belongs to all women, not just one, so maybe it's just as well that he's divorced. Over the years Val has had many romances and has left a whole string of satisfied partners, rather than unhappy, abandoned ones. Romantically, what more can the Cosmos ask of one man? He always lives alone and has tons of friends. Val knows practically everyone in the soap world.

Patrick Horgan

Patrick Horgan plays Ansel Scott on The Edge of Night. After three divorces, Patrick says: "All that immaturity is over. I"m not going to repeat the mistakes of the past. I may or may not marry again, but if I do it will be very different...for keeps." Patrick is English (as any viewer can tell) but two of his ex-wives have been American. English men always seem cold to American women, but they're not as cold as they seem on the surface - it's just that English men are culturally oriented. "I'm shy and aloof. I think that's a very typical English trait," says Patrick, "in part because of the English public school education. There's so much isolation, and you're always in an atmosphere of all boys. What they're really doing is trying to produce rigid models of people from original template patterns, like a cast iron molding process." What it amounts to is that an American woman dating an English man should have a little patience. A compensation is that Englishmen are extremely entertaining, plus they have great charm.

David O'Brien

David O'Brien plays Dr. Steve Aldrich on The Doctors. After a number of years of analysis David became happier with himself and his relationships improved. He is an articulate, glib conversationalist, and a man of great taste. Women invariably find him debonair and irresistibly attractive. But his sophistication arises from his great intelligence (as a student he won a Fullbright Scholarship to study acting) and is a natural rather an an acquired thing. His first instinct (moreso now, after so much soul-searching talk with his analyst about himself vs. other people) is to make others feel at home, whether at the NBC studio, his New York co-op apartment, his house in Boston, or his beach house on Long Island. He once had a long, comfortable relationship with an older woman.

Michael Stroka

Mike Stroka plays psychiatrist Dr. Quentin Henderson on The Edge of Night. It's his first part on daytime television since the cancellation of Dark Shadows in 1972. He quit acting for a couple of years and is now back in the business. For years he played it loose with girlfriends, but is now heavily involved with someone.

Ron Tomme

Ron Tomme plays Bruce Sterling on Love of Life. Ron has actually lived his life in reverse. He lived a conservative married life in his twenties, then, after the divorce, began living it up in his thirties. He's much more settled now and enjoys steady dating. He looks splendid. Seven years ago, Ron had a worried look, which was not just the result of his character's divorce from Vanessa - but because Ron simply wasn't totally happy. Today he's insouciant, and it's doubtful whether he'll ever risk this happiness on another enslaving marriage. His closest friend happens to be a woman (and "friend" is not used as a euphemism here), Audrey Peters, his co-star. She's also divorced and the two of them bolster one another while dating other people. Ron is extremely loyal and sincere in his relationship with woman, whether as friend or romance.

Larry Keith

Larry Keith plays Nick Davis on All My Children. Larry, too, is divorced, and seldom ever mentions the possibility of re-marriage. He's devoted to his grown daughter Lisa. From humble Brooklyn beginnings, Larry worked hard and did extremely well in show business, especially in television. He doesn't have that "Gee, life is a great adventure" aura when you meet him in real life - but then few men who have worked hard for years to attain their goals ever do. Yet, indeed there really is a good deal of adventure in his life. He owns a Cessna Cardinal RG airplane, which he flies on weekend jaunts. Men who fly airplanes are seldom dull.

• Members

Jeffrey Pomerantz

Jeff Pomerantz is Dr. Peter Janssen on One Life to Live. Friends of Jeff's say that he's not high-brow but that a nicer guy there never was. He can't stop smiling when he's around people and he attracts everyone. His classical cigarette-ad good looks and well-kept but not over-developed body make him irresistible to the opposite sex. He isn't moody and gets along best with secure women. He was once married and may well take the plunge again. In fact, he's heavily involved right now.

George Reinholt

George Reinholt plays Tony Harris on One Life to Live. How can one possibly sum up George's complex nature in a hundred-word vignette? Some women may find George a little frightening because his intelligence is forever emerging in visible ways, like the sun's black inner substance coming to the surface continually to form a blinding-bright corona to which our small and weak planet dare not get too close for fear of evaporating. A woman has to be super-strong to deal with George's dazzling intensity, for his talent refuses to stop displaying itself. The ego-war that he had with giant-producer Paul Rauch (of Another World) was only one small sign of the storm, both positive and negative, that surrounds George. If any woman can be a match to him, let her stand up to receive applause. She would have to be talented herself, a paragon of security, brave, extremely sensual, and above all ready for a 24-hour of life lived to the very fullest.

Lewis Arlt

Lewis Arlt plays David Sutton on Search for Tomorrow. It's sheer talent that makes Lewis appear so devilishly developed in the art of seduction as his character. In real-life, he's a very young person, quite easy-going, rather gentle. He's just out of Carnegie Institute and dates girls he knew from acting classes. He's the kind of guy that friends call up and pour their souls out to. He takes good care of his body, but it's already a good one. Ten years from now when he's in his early thirties he's going to be a very different sort - but not too different, one hopes.

Armand Assante

Armand Assante plays Mike Powers on The Doctors. In many ways he's like Lewis Arlt, serious about acting, quite young, and not remotely ready to talk about getting married. When he played Johnny McGhee on How to Survive a Marriage he played a morose prize-fighter with neurotic hangups. That's not at all like Armand. He's jolly and friendly, the kind of guy who likes it when people come up to him and say, "Aren't you on that show?" If you pin him down about marriage, he'll articulate: "In the current system of marriage there are no provisions for what people should do if they temporarily fall out of love or get bored with each other. I feel that most relationships come to an end, whether we like it or not. It's hard to believe that there's just going to be one person for the rest of one's life. Currently (temporarily or not) he's involved with someone.

Richard Guthrie

Richard Guthrie plays David Banning on Days of Our Lives. He once used to be chubby and now he finds it hard to believe that he's attractive, which of course he is. He isn't the kind of person people like to keep their distance from; he's informal. People just call him Guthrie. Although he's supposed to be playing a confused playboy, in real-life he's concerned mostly with his career - which is going well. He's very young and marriage is a long way off for him. He dates a San Francisco-based actress named Linda.

• Members

Schemering's book says Deane was on from 70-76. I don't know a lot about him either. It would be interesting to know more, as a black actor in a major role on a soap at that time was fairly rare.

I remember Joel as being a silly character on Silver Spoons so it was weird seeing him here in the more serious leather look, although he looked pretty good. I couldn't help laughing when they said he'd given up "bumming"...yes I know that's not what they meant. :ph34r:

• Members

The dog photo of Guthrie is nice. I wish I knew more about his work, I didn't know he was the actor in the story with Valerie, and then I guess Trish.

Jordan Clarke looked so different too...still that same handsome face though.

I hope no one minded me typing all the writeups -- I know they're a chore to read but they just crack me up, especially the ones about Jerry Lacy, Val Dufour (he's shared with all of womankind!) and George Reinholt.

Archived