Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Dark Shadows - The Movie

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Dane

Marco Dane

Llanview's best PIMP!

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Dark Shadows

Dark Shadows Set to Shoot in January
Source: Deadline
July 15, 2010

Tim Burton's Dark Shadows is set to roll in January 2011, reports Deadline.

The film has also received a new writer in the form of Seth Grahame-Smith (author of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"), who will rewrite the John August screenplay.

Based on the cult soap opera from the 1960's, the film stars Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins, a popular vampire character who took over the show's focus after he first appeared one year into the series' original five year run

#2 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Ugh. Not really looking forward to this.

#3 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

This is going to be great. Johnny Depp is one of our finest actors, Tim Burton always has an artistic vision, and Dark Shadows is just a great concept. It is the one soap that will never die.

#4 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Based on some of his movies, if anyone can kill it it's Burton.

#5 Marco Dane

Marco Dane

Llanview's best PIMP!

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Just imagine if this works will Hollywood start to embrace soaps again. Also if possible could some other soaps be made into movies

#6 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Ugh, Tim Burton's movies are all the same to me. Take a story written by someone else, make it EXTREMELY dark and depressing, add in some weird animated characters, and have Johnny Depp snort a line of crack from Toronto to Tijuana.

I hope it works, but I don't see myself enjoying it.

Edited by All My Shadows, 15 July 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#7 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

Just imagine if this works will Hollywood start to embrace soaps again. Also if possible could some other soaps be made into movies

I said the same thing when this news broke over a year ago. Maybe ABC will show "classic" Dark Shadows episodes during those marathon runs?

#8 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

None of the other soaps really lend itself to remakes. You could do something called Edge Of Night, but you could make it a murder drama starring anyone.

#9 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Based on some of his movies, if anyone can kill it it's Burton.

Yep. It is so disheartening to see Burton and Depp's name with Dark Shadows. Then you're going to have all these stupid mugs who think Depp was the BEST BARNABAS OF ALL TIME!

Gag me.

Wonder who Helena will play? Josette or Angelique? Either way, major eyeroll.

#10 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Yep. It is so disheartening to see Burton and Depp's name with Dark Shadows. Then you're going to have all these stupid mugs who think Depp was the BEST BARNABAS OF ALL TIME!

And let's not forget the annoying emo kids. They'll love the movie, then they'll read a few odd sentences about it, then they'll pretend they hate the movie because they're "true fans" of DS, but they'll never see an actual episode (or they'll watch the first one, not see Barnabas, then not pursue it any further). Then they'll look down at everyone else for being "vampire bandwagoners."

AMS's friend: Hey, man, you see Dark Shadows yet?
AMS: Yeah...ugh.
AMS's friend: Dude, it was awesome, right?
AMS: Not really. I'm not big on Tim Burton.
Emo: Have you even seen the real Dark Shadows? Because it's way more than just a movie.
AMS: Yes, I've been a fan since I was--
Emo: Ugh, now DS is mainstream, and everybody wants to be a fan, it bores me now.
AMS: Grayson Hall.
Emo: What?
AMS: Exactly. Now shut up.

Wonder who Helena will play? Josette or Angelique? Either way, major eyeroll.

She'll play Josette with Angelique's personality.

#11 Scotty

Scotty

...because we only have 'One Life to Live'

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

None of the other soaps really lend itself to remakes. You could do something called Edge Of Night, but you could make it a murder drama starring anyone.

Well some might. You could take the Victor/Viki relationship from OLTL and turn it into a movie. You know, explore her childhood and how he became a dirty old man and she splintered into 6 other people and what not.

#12 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

Is Diana Rigg too old to play Mrs Stoddard? I think that would be great. Or if she is too old they could go for someone like Gwyneth Palrow with dark hair. But please, not Glenn Close. This seems like a role that would have Glenn Close written all over it and I am sick of her. Liev Schreiver for Roger Collins or Willie Loomis. (Liev can do anything really)

#13 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

Thread merge:

http://boards.soapop...in-development/

#14 Mitch

Mitch

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ugh, Tim Burton's movies are all the same to me. Take a story written by someone else, make it EXTREMELY dark and depressing, add in some weird animated characters, and have Johnny Depp snort a line of crack from Toronto to Tijuana.

I hope it works, but I don't see myself enjoying it.

Really, I dont think he is depressing at all..dark yes..but his movies all have good winning out in the end..and along the way there are funny lines, etc. But I LURVE the second Batman he did...really, really dark, and rather audacious to set it during Christmas, and Sleepy Hallow is one of my favorite movies.

I kind of think of Burton as being "old school." in terms of movies that kids can enjoy..there is real menance..not the jokey kind of villians that most kids movies have. The Wizard of OZ is really, really dark too if you think about it. Would love to have Burton do a movie based on the book, not the Judy Garland classic.

#15 DAMfan

DAMfan

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

Angelina Jolie could play Angelique,

#16 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

He's not depressing, he is manneristic. Which is different. And on the other hand, all of them are (manneristic). It's just a matter of whether you like certain mannerisms or not. Posted Image

#17 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

He's not depressing, he is manneristic. Which is different. And on the other hand, all of them are (manneristic). It's just a matter of whether you like certain mannerisms or not. Posted Image

He has depressing mannerisms.

#18 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

I think Burton has done some great films (Ed Wood), and a lot that I enjoy, sometimes despite myself (often the older ones like Edward Scissorhands or Beetlejuice). As a huge Sondheim nerd, I'm divided on his Sweeney Todd--it's not as bad as it coulda been, even with all the huge edits to the score (which Sondheim approved) and the fact that Burton does shoe horn in a bunch of his usual stuff (albeit he seems to have enough respect for the material to not quite make it as typical a Burton production as he often does). But I have to admit, I do suspect this will end up more like a Burton film with shades of Dark Shadows than the other way around... And I don't think it'll do zip for making Hollywood pay more attention to other soaps--Dark Shadows has always sorta been considered apart, even back in the day if you read the soap press and books from the 70s on soaps.

#19 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,851 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

I really don't know much about Dark Shadows, but I will see this because it is Dark Shadows. :P I think that's kind of how Burton gets people, you see batman because it's Batman, you see Alice because it's Alice, you can't help but be curious about what he's going to bring to it (LOVED Batman, was not at all impressed with Alice). I've never seen Sweeney onstage but I knew enough about if through clips to be utterly :o by that "singing" HBC was doing, but when I actually saw the film and was reminded of the Burton world we were in, I couldn't help but admit that it worked. Ms. SFK is a huge Depp fan, me, not so much. I've grown weary of watching him bounce from film to film doing his schtick and it getting praised as genius, charisma and great acting aren't the same thing, nor is modeling characters on Keith Richards, Marilyn Manson, and Lisa Kudrow great acting. He's having a ball, and that's great, but let's see it for what it is and not be so generous with the word "brilliant". I'm glad that he didn't end up doing Le Scaphandre et le Papillion parce qu'il would have managed to make a sympathetic paralyzed and mute man annoying and I can just imagine all of the annoying fangirls in the audience "Awww'ing :wub: " every time he blinked "adorably". :rolleyes:

#20 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

Beetlejuice and Scissorhands are classics, IMO, and I'll watch them whenever they come on, but anything from the last ten years is the stuff I won't call in the morning. The plots and characters are different, but it always ends up being the same movie leaving you with the same dark feeling. Ugh. The directors and EPs I respect the most are the ones who can give you two completely different movies/shows that have little in common.

I DESPISE Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I absolutely hate how it became fashionable to bash the 1971 movie simply because there was a shiny new sadistic adaptation by Timburrrrton and Depp, who needs to find Holly and get back down on Jump Street.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users