ALL: They Almost Became

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For some reason, the work was too overwhelming for him. Philip Brown has been open about some personal problems, as well - though I'm not sure if those directly had anything to do with his GL experience. By the way, that role was created with James DePaiva (ex-Max, OLTL) specifically in mind.

Brown's was a definitely name that came up in casting for Clint, but I'm not sure if he ever read or tested. Same situation goes for Lisa Peluso (ex-Ava, Loving; ex-Lila, AW), who was in the early mix for GH's Lois, and as a possible emergency-recast for B&B's Taylor (in 2002 when Hunter Tylo had pulled some sort of Brenda Dickson thing) - considered / contacted, but never tested.

Actually, when I think about it, Peluso was a hot commodity at times. When Loving / The City unceremoniously dumped her during that transition, GL reintroduced Amanda Spaulding specifically with Peluso on their radar - and she passed on their offer because she just wanted a break from daytime for a bit. Toby Poser was cast, instead.

• Members

Peluso as Amanda would have been epic...however it's interesting that Toby's Amanda still on GL around the time Peluso took the role of Lila on AW.

Interesting to see that Paul Michael Valley auditioned for the role of Mallet, I imagine that PMV would have had excellent chemistry with Beth Ehlers.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

Peluso talked about it in an interview when she was first cast as Lila. She said she found that she was just enjoying her break, having worked day-to-day on a soap consistently for so many years. I assume that when she was ready to work again, either GL was content with Poser / ready to phase-out the character by then.... or that Peluso was specifically attracted to AW - and wasn't Lila created for her?

• Members

That little girl always looked like her upper lip stank, she was the crankiest Bianca ever.

George Peppard shot the pilot of Dynasty playing Blake. Angie Dickinson was an early choice for both Krystle Carrington and Sable Colby.

Faye Dunaway was offered Sable but turned down the money (or lack thereof, I should say). When the show decided to go "exotic" looking for actresses in Australyer, South Africa and Britain, Stephanie Beacham auditioned along with bigger names like Diana Rigg and Susannah York.

Of course we all know that Sophia Loren passed on Alexis for the same reasons as Dunaway, and Esther Shapiro promised to deliver the network at least a Raquel Welch (who was later considered for Lady Ashley) though she really pushed Jessica Walter (rent Play Misty For Me!; Arrested Development).

Barbara Stanwyck passed on Angela Channing (maybe that's why they had Jane Wyman wear that grey wig in the pilot movie :blink: ) before accepting Constance Colby (Katharine Hepburn was also considered). Burt Lancaster was another choice for Jason.

• Members

I remember the Peluso/Amanda talk back then, I think I mistook it for fan wishful thinking at the time. I think it's safe to say that things worked out for the best playing Lila instead, I didn't see an awful lot of Lisa in that role but when I did it looked like she was having a ball. People used to make such fun of Toby's hair, I think Alex even had a line about it clogging up the shower drain. :lol:

• Members

About Linda Evans -- I think Dallas actually came to life because of Linda. David Jacobs said he wrote Knots Landing and then CBS told him they wanted something bigger and something which would center more on the character Linda would have played (Pam). Then by the time he wrote it, Linda had already moved on.

Julia Roberts auditioned for a role on....I think...Loving, or Ryan's Hope.

Cher was THISCLOSE to playing a role on Search for Tomorrow in 1982. At the last minute, she or her agent decided it was a bad idea, and Michelle Phillips was cast.

Yes, IIRC, some of the people at GL, like Liz Keifer, said they were upset at having to make those comments. I thought Toby did a great job with the role but there was a very strong ugliness and desperation in how they wrote for her Amanda. I remember how horrified the longtime fans were.