ALL: They Almost Became

• Members

Take some things in this thread with a grain of salt. Elaine Princi was NOT seen for the role of Alexandra on GL. This comes directly from her. She's have loved it, if she was considerd for the role, but it just did not happen.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'll remove that "including Princi" reference (and sincere apologies to Ms. Princi, who I think is wonderful - please pass that on!). I had a friend at that time, during the whole upheaval of Strasser's re-entrance, who worked at OLTL and told me that word was going around that GL had actually contacted her. That was obviously, based on what you're relaying, unfounded rumor... (Maybe wishful thinking, too... because it was my perception, based on his take, that many people there liked her quite a bit.)

ETA: I just re-checked the rest of what I posted. With perhaps the exception of the Timmins / Tina thing (that I can't recall for sure), it's all been published, mostly based on content that appeared in SOD / Weekly.

So you won't be wasting the salt if you take those with more than just one grain...;)

Edited by YurSoakinginit

• Members

So Karl Giralmo tested for the role of Luke before then playing the object of Luke's affections? Wow, I think I would have liked to see that. He would have brought a less stereotypical vibe to the role, and he was a major hunk.

I can definitely see Philip Brown as Clint Buchanan, but no way could he play Ben Warren. By the way, in all those commercials he's currently in, he doesn't seem to have aged one bit.

BERT CONVY as BARNABAS COLLINS? You have to be pulling our legs on that one!

• Members

It's all good Yur. That rumor about GL contacting her has been around for years, and once I did have a chance to ask Elaine about it and she said they never contacted her nor to her knowledge did they ever consider her for the role.

• Members

Not sure where Steve got his info, but as a big fan of game shows and game show host, even I had heard that about Bert Convy. I heard him talk about it on a talk show once. He was supposedly a big fan of the show.

It is listed on his IMDb page.

Here is another bio of him that has it:

http://www.squidoo.com/bert-convy

According to Google Books, it is also stated in the book, Barnabas & Company: The Cast of the TV Classic Dark Shadows which Steve owns. So I would imagine that is where he got it and maybe the other Dark Shadows stuff.

• Members

That's a good question, I'd be curious to know the answer to that and other Knots casting tidbits.

I know that the late Mary Frann was supposed to play Sue Ellen, and I believe I read that Shirley Knight was in the running for a role, I want to say Valene but I'm not sure.

Samantha Eggar was the original choice for Pamela Capwell and I believe she even taped an episode or two before she ruled that the work was too hard and pulled out. She was replaced with another Brit, Shirley Anne Field, who was replaced by Marj Dusay. Eggar would later play Alex Devane's stepmom on AMC (I guess she eventually got the soapy swing of things). She also played Maggie in the Falcon Crest pilot movie before she was recast with Susan Sullivan.

• Members

I have a few to add...

Tim Gibbs auditioned for the role of AW’s Joe Carlino (the character was called Joe McConnell before Joe Barbara was cast). Gibbs then was cast as AW’s Gary Sinclair….

Stephen Nichols auditioned for the role of AW’s Evan Bates (Eric Scott Woods got the part)

David Tom auditioned for the role of OLTL’s Will Rappaport (Jason Shane Scott got the part)

Then-AMC executive producer Jean Burke considered temporarily recasting Erica with Lisa Peluso when Susan Lucci was doing “Annie Get Your Gun” on Broadway and was very sick (either pneumonia or borderline pneumonia).

• Members

I forgot how many people Days tested for Philip. It really came down to the wire with him and Days.

Cali Timmons as Tina on OLTL? Would have been perfect.

Sandra Ferguson as Lily... odd. I wonder if she was reading for it or if she was just thought of by the casting depo, because i recently interviewed her and i higly doubt she woulda went back a NY soap.

LMAO At Christie Clark & Erin presley as Victoria, it woulda been much worse than what we got!

• Members

Really?? I don't think Susie would've liked that. :P But as I've mentioned in other threads, we had tickets to see her in AGYG either her opening night or a day or so into her run. When we arrived at the box office, the notice was up that she was out and someone else would be going on. We passed and our friend who was treating us got a refund.

• Members

This is old news, but: IIRC, Robin Strasser was repeatedly courted by Agnes Nixon in the '70s. At first, Agnes asked Robin to take over the role of OLTL's troubled young Cathy Craig, which I believe had previously been played by Dorrie Kavanaugh at that time. Robin didn't care for it, so Agnes created the role of Dr. Christina Karras for her on AMC. When that bombed, Agnes finally got her slotted in as Dorian on OLTL.

I believe Cali Timmins was also yet again seriously considered to play Tina in 2003, when Malone made plans to bring back her entire family. That entire storyline was scuttled.

Brandon Routh auditioned for Al Holden in 2001 but lost the part; Gary Tomlin saw "something special" in young Superman and created the role of Seth Anderson for him.

Sarah Brown came thisclose to being the Marty recast in 2006. For some reason it did not happen.

Edited by Vee