"Secret Storm" memories.

• Members

No I didn't know that about Dennis Cooney. I wish I could see some of his soap work.

Yeah, a few pages back, some of the posters talked about the scenes where the brothers fought and their mother, Frances Sternhagen, fell on a pitchfork. I also read something about a story with someone looking in a mirror and seeing something about themselves, do you remember that?

The interview is with the first Ian, it looks like. IMDB says he also played Owen. Were there twins?

January 1972 TV Dawn to Dusk (Ideal Publishing Inc).

11-24-2010105358AM6.jpg

11-24-2010105358AM7.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the article! I wonder why Rigsby left the show? I don't remember anyone named Owen.

Also thanks for refreshing my memory about the pitchfork incident. It's coming back to me now. The priest's brother was really countrified & always seemed kind of oily & dirty to me, lol.

Sorry I don't remember any stories involving a mirror.

My favorites on this show were Marla Adams (Belle), Jada Rowland (Amy), & Linden Chiles (who played Paul Britton for most of the time I watched, though I think quite a few others played the role previously). I also liked Liam Sullivan (Alan Dunbara) even though his character ended up being crazy!

• Members

On further thought, I believe Joel Crothers' character Ken was actually Jill Clayborn's first husband (and possibly had a son with her). Also, I think he was involved with Laurie, the girl who later married Father Mark. I can't remember what happened to Ken though.

• Members

Carl:

Brent finally got around to seeing this thread which is most interesting. Thanks for posting.

A few observations.

Once spoke to Gordon Rigsby by phone (February 1971) to ask about the sets on "Secret Storm" I was at that time considering going into art direction, (I didn't but still follow it). He was very nice and told me that the "brick wall" outside Valerie Ames' front door was only 5 feet.

Saw both of the action sequences Producer Weiss rightfully boasted of.

The first, the wheelchair fall on "Where the Heart Is" took one's breath away--it was so stunningly effective. It occurred in December, 1970. I think it was close to Christmas since I was off from school (an 8th grader at the time)--normally couldn't see "WTHI" except in summer. The character involved was a girl with doll like features and very long, (almost waist length) platinum blonde hair. Man did she, (or stunt double actually) go down those stairs! This sequence was a well done as any in a feature film. It occurred in December, 1970.

The "Secret Storm" auto accident occurred in February 1971 and featured Amy and another character named "Mickey" and another man whose name escapes me. It took place on a deserted stretch of interstate highway due to icy roads. Mr. Weiss neglects to mention that the scene incorporated actual film footage shot of the Mustang (or another smallish sportscar) driving on the snowy highway and then careening off the road. This footage was interpolated into the car interior "mock up" on the sound stage (with the process screen "movement" going on behind the onstage car interior). Very slickly done and memorable! Boy did the organ have a field day "stinging" that sequence at the end of the show, (it was the climax of course).

All Best,

Brent

• Members

Thank you for sharing more of your memories with us. Your posts are one of the reasons I started trying to find more on this show. The descriptions of the stunts sound great. I wish we could see them. It shows that you don't need a big budget to make an impact.

That's great you got to talk to Rigsby. Do you remember the other actor who played Northcate?

I have some other stuff and when I'm able to scan more I'll post.

• Members

Reading through this thread did jar my memory regarding someone seeing something in a mirror. It was the handyman,Eric, who had terrorized Laurie Reddin, when she & Mark bought an old house where Eric had killed the previous owner, Georgina (and I believe her children, too). I think Laurie started thinking she was the reincarnation of Georgina. Eric thought he saw Georgina's image in the mirror lunging at him in Laurie's bedroom and he jumped into the mirror and was killed by the broken glass.

• Members

If memory serves the other Northcote actor was none other than Alexander Scourby who was the real life husband of Lori March. Of course, it was Rigsby who did the evil Owen/Ian bit--a feat accomplished with split screen. Whichever one was evil, (Owen or Ian--can't recall now) murdered Troy Donahue in the shower--this was about May of 70.

Diane Ladd was Kitty Styles at least by Sept. of 70. Recall her specifically in the part during that month. She played, as I recall, a woman from the wrong side of the tracks--a waitress I think. Don't recall Diana Millay in the role, (though I love Millay on "DS"--was a "DS" addict at the time.) Would be great to see "Storm" articles from the 60's.

All Best,

Brent

• Members

Thanks. The evil twin stuff sounds ahead of its time for soaps.

I mostly have 70s stuff but will post what I can. Thanks again for sharing your memories. When you saw Diane Ladd at the time did you think she might become a star?

There are also some mentions around this time, 71-72, of Marjorie Gateson thanking fans for sending her cards and letters and such after her stroke and talking about how she hoped to be able to work again at some point. I guess she never did.

• Members

I don't remember much more about it except I believe it took place around the same time Mark started having second thoughts about leaving the priesthood. I believe Laurie had previously had some psychological issues. She was always portrayed as very sensitive, I believe she was an artist or a pianist.

I haven't really thought much about this show since it went off the air. I've enjoyed reminiscing about it though! I haven't known anyone else (in my real world) who remembers watching it.

• Members

I wish I could see it. Your comments and those of others help me see it, in a way.

I was going to ask if you had seen any of the episodes from the 50's that are up at archive.org. There are also a few clips on Youtube, I linked to one a few pages back.

I was also going to ask if you remembered Joan Crawford's appearance on the show.