"Secret Storm" memories.

• Members

Article about Haila Stoddard's life from her local paper:

http://www.thehour.com/story/499929

(don't know how long it will stay up, so read it while you can)

I think it was reading this story recently in the paper (the hospital where she died is a block away from me) that got me woondering what was going on here at SON these days in the way of classic soap discussion. I was a member a long time ago but haven't been back in some years. Unfortunately I never saw "The Secret Storm" as it was cancelled about a year before I started watching soaps (except for "Dark Shadows"), but I've read whatever I could find (including the old paperback novelization) and have seen some of the old episodes. It's always sounded like my kind of show!

Way past my bedtime tonight but I will be back.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for sharing that with us. I posted an old article on her in the main soap section (in the thread about her passing) but hadn't seen that.

The classic soap discussion here is such a fantastic experience - so many here have so many memories and so much information, it makes the soaps come alive again, even those we will never be able to see. Honestly I enjoy it more than anything on the existing soaps in quite some time.

I and several others have posted a lot of story stuff and articles in various threads so I hope you can read it and share your own thoughts/memories. If there's anyone or any show you want to see more of let me know.

• Members

Yes he was the first, Apparently he quit quite suddenly in 62,saying 8 years as one character was enough. He went on to do hundreds of TV shows.None of his replacements lasted long and the character was killed off. I wonder if viewers could never really accept another actor in the role.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks so much!

I only checked my e-mail by chance today at the library and am grateful since I really haven't kept up with this site. I am so very grateful for this episode of "The Secret Storm" which I just got through playing with headphones.

While I don't recall this particular plot line I do think it demonstrates the intensity and emotional darkness of the show. Recall that this was done live! When you were 9 years old this kind of thing sucked you in far more than "The Beverly Hillbillies" or "Batman" (at least it did this kid!).

How pretty Donna Mills was! Note how elegant the women, (even the very young women) dressed for "at home" daytime scnes. Very understated--pumps and dresses and in Miss Mills' case a fur coat.

Isn't the organ music effective. Am I alone in thinking it brings an emotional color far more effective than the generic tracks used on daytime today?

Thanks so very very much!!!

Brent C.

• Members

I'm so glad you got to see this. I knew you hadn't been here much this year so I wasn't sure you were still able to get e-mails. As soon as I saw this on Youtube I knew you'd want to watch.

You're right, the organ music is effective. The theme is also very soothing and draws you in.

I like how understated the wardrobe is and the emotions too - it seems so adult; people are actually having conversations.

Was Amy married to Nic Coster at this time?

I felt strongly about the guy who was hooked on heroin. I wonder what happened to him.

• Members

Carl:

Again my thanks. I came back to the library to watch this again which I plan to do presently and will share a few thoughts afterwards. This is a much needed lift after a difficult day with the sudden death of an uncle.

Whilst I don't remember this particular story line--this excellent Kinescope really takes me back--this is the SS "look" even though this episode is confined to modest apartments. You know to see Jada Rowland like this is kind of like meeting long lost family.

As to Nick Coaster, no I think she was still very much involved with "Kip Rysedale" played by the actor who followed Don Galloway into the part. Mr. Coaster came in I believe in 68.

All Best,

BC

• Members

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle.

I'm always finding SS articles but end up being too lazy to post them. If/when I do, then I can PM you if you want to read them.

It was interesting to me how Amy seemed to be such a central heroine even at such a young age. The show was ahead of its time in that way.

When I read interviews with Jada around the time she returned in 1973 she seemed to be very outspoken and free and so on. Did that translate in her work onscreen?

One thing I really liked in the 1967 episode was the casual way they worked in prayer, without seeming heavy-handed.

• Members

Am taking a break mid show. I stand corrected on Nick Coaster. Amy references both Paul and Lisa. Thus the Kip relationship must already have ended--probably in 65 or 66, (and I remember Kip so well--boy I feel old). Isn't the young man playing Jimmy Dobbs good? Can you imagine learning all this dialogue and blocking these scenes in one day? Pre-video tape!

BC