Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soap Opera Network Takes New Direction, New Attitude

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

New Direction, New Attitude

Soap Opera Network is changing its direction and taking a closer look at the genre of soap operas. While we will continue to post "fluff" pieces on the site such as the generic comings and goings, we will be viewing the medium in a more critical manner. This includes a piece on SOAPnet and why it has itself to blame for being re-branded. These changes have been happening for sometime, but will be recognized in the days and weeks to come. We aren't going in a negative direction, but in a direction that allows us the freedom to report the news in a different way than our friends and competitors do. This does not mean gossip. Far from it. What this means is that we will be writing with eyes wide open. Hope you enjoy the new style.

Sincerely,

Errol Lewis,
Editor-in-Chief, Soap Opera Network

#2 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

Sounds good! Someone/something has to stop the "everything's all right" charade that all the rest of the soap press is playing.

#3 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

SON: "We're not bringing drama closer anymore...we're throwin' it in yo' muthafuckin' face, beeyotch!"

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

When I saw the headline I got scared. I thought SON was going to start covering children's programming.

#5 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,068 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Here here, as far as the soaps are concerned, I think all glove's should be off at this point. I don't mean bashing, but open, pointed criticism. Why as soap fans and press should we offer the executive and creative powers behind the stories a certain respect that they do not offer to us. Best to get it all out now where there's a chance that *someone's* listening instead of unloading after cancellation when it's going to be too little too late sour grapes.

#6 bellcurve

bellcurve

Inactive?

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

LOL. I'll believe this when I see it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#7 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,302 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

It'll be nice to have something that calls the soaps out on their crap instead of the constant butt kissing we get from the soap mags

#8 Steve

Steve

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

When I saw the headline I got scared. I thought SON was going to start covering children's programming.

LMAO!

Now SON will lose their Days coverage like Soap Opera Weekly did back when Mimi Torchin was editor and the magazine was actually good. Ken Corday doesn't like criticism.

#9 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Yes!! Fill the void!

SON: "We're not bringing drama closer anymore...we're throwin' it in yo' muthafuckin' face, beeyotch!"

+1

Edited by marceline, 29 May 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#10 JimTolkien

JimTolkien

Recurring

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

It'll be nice to have something that calls the soaps out on their crap instead of the constant butt kissing we get from the soap mags

ICAM!! I wonder how a magazine like CBS SID feels, beginning of last year they were covering 4 soaps now they are down to 2. And the 2 soaps they are covering are certainly not anything worth writing home about. No wonder those soaps get away the garbage that is churned out...I wouldn't want to lose the rest of my source of income either.

Good for SON if they mean what they say. I also hope they take into account the pressure that the networks are under as well, I fear fans don't understand a lot from that aspect.

#11 jams1234

jams1234

Love all things AMC-Excluding horrible evil wretched Zendall

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

Bring it baby! Maybe it's EXACTLY what the soap/daytime genre needs!! Let's hope the networks are listening.

#12 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

Will you take suggestions for subject matter?

#13 Rakesh

Rakesh

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

LMFAO

As for the article itself, I can't wait to see what Errol will be writing about since he's claiming it won't be "gossip."

#14 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

Will you take suggestions for subject matter?

Definitely. While we have a list of twenty articles currently being written to jump start all this, we will surely take suggestions from anyone who has a story for us to go after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users