TVChoice Awards

DRW50

• Members

Just cycle through the categories if you want to see the soap nominees. You don't have to actually vote, I don't know if they count non-UK votes anyway, I just thought seeing the nominees was interesting.

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/awards/vote

Best Soap

Eastenders

Coronation Street

Emmerdale

Hollyoaks

Best Soap Actor

Coronation Street, ITV1

Simon Gregson/Steve McDonald

Alan Halsall/Tyrone Dobbs

Michael Le Vell/Kevin Webster

(Where is the guy who plays Peter Barlow?)

EastEnders, BBC1

Don Gilet Lucas Johnson

Scott Maslen Jack Branning

Jake Wood Max Branning

(Finally, Jake gets a nomination. I'd started to think he'd only get one for Rear of the Year!)

Emmerdale, ITV1

Dominic Brunt Paddy Kirk

Tom Lister Carl King

Danny Miller Aaron Livesy

Hollyoaks, C4

Kieron Richardson Ste Hay

Glen Wallace Malachy Fisher

Ricky Whittle Calvin Valentine

Best Soap Actress

Coronation Street, ITV1

Jane Danson Leanne Battersby

Michelle Keegan Tina McIntyre

Katherine Kelly Becky McDonald

EastEnders, BBC1

Diane Parish Denise Johnson

Lacey Turner Stacey Branning

Nina Wadia Zainab Masood

Emmerdale, ITV1

Emma Atkins Charity Tate

Charlotte Bellamy Laurel Thomas

Amanda Donohoe Natasha Wylde

Hollyoaks, C4

Jennifer Metcalfe Mercedes Fisher

Jorgie Porter Theresa McQueen

Bronagh Waugh Cheryl Brady

Best Soap Newcomer

Coronation Street, ITV1

Cherylee Houston Izzy Armstrong

Ben Price Nick Tilsley

Holly Quin-Ankrah Cheryl Gray

EastEnders, BBC1

Sam Attwater Leon Small

Emer Kenny Zsa Zsa Carter

Ricky Norwood Fatboy Chubb

Emmerdale, ITV1

Alice Coulthard Masie Wylde

Adam Thomas Adam Barton

James Thornton John Barton

Hollyoaks, C4

Dean Aspen Duncan Smith

Sheree Murphy Kate/Eva

Bronagh Waugh Cheryl Brady

(What a bizarre category, some have been on their show for over a year, others for not even a month!! I hope Adam Thomas wins)

Best Soap Storyline

Coronation Street, ITV1

Joe’s death/Gail’s trial

Tony’s reign of terror

Tyrone/Molly/Kevin love triangle

EastEnders, BBC1

Christian and Syed's relationship

Lucas' reign of terror

Who Killed Archie?

Emmerdale, ITV1

Aaron’s gay self-loathing

Crazed Sally stalks Ashley and Laurel

The Wyldes – Incest and Murder

Hollyoaks, C4

Calvin's wedding/murder

Holly goes missing

Newt and Rae's curse

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have great taste :)

I'd be happy if Nina Wadia won, and if Jake beat Danny Miller that would be fair, although I'd rather see Danny win, I just don't want to see Scott Maslen win AGAIN. Lacey and Scott have enough awards.

• Members

Ew! I wouldn't touch that rear if it was the only rear of the entire year. He's all pale, scabby, bald, and scabby.

Have either one of those two ladies done anything to really merit an award? Izzy's only been in like two or three episodes. Ben Price is too annoying.

I really need to start devoting time to Emmerdale like I keep saying I will.

• Members

I knoooooow. I've located episodes and I've also located the Aaron and Wylde/Lamb storylines in separated segments, but I've got so much crap I've been watching. Now that the semester's done, I'm in my between-spring-and-summer phase where I'm done with school and not yet ready to do outside summery things, so I've got at least ten shows that I'm trying to watch with some type of regularity. It doesn't help that I just found three months worth of EE from the mid 90s, but I'm trying to squeeze some Emm in there somewhere haha

• Members

I'm not even going to bother voting, since I again expect EastEnders to win the vast majority of awards. EastEnders is definitely winning Best Soap, and Lacey Turner is definitely winning Best Actress (which she deserves, no matter how many awards she's already won).

Though, even as an EastEnders viewer, I'd like to see some surprises. They've dominated all the recent soap-related awards.

• Members

Corrie and EastEnders used to trade years, but recently, it seems like EastEnders is beginning to win the most big awards year after year.

Corrie and EastEnders are the only soaps with popular support, though it seems like EasteEnders has had more popular support in recent years.

• Members

Somehow when Eastenders does manage to win awards, the worst actors or stories are the ones that get the prizes. They ended up getting as much head-scratching and dismissive reactions for their wins, thanks to someone like Scott Maslen, as they did any recognition of quality.

If they win anything for 2010 then that tells you it's definitely not about quality anymore.

• Members

No wonder when Corrie's been dismal for so many years. And absolute wreck.

Don't forget these names: Brigie de Courcy, Kathleen Hutchinson, Louise Berridge... It wasn't so long ago.

Diederick Santer is miles above, even though his reign was riddled with dreck too.

• Members

That is true. Although, I don't think Scott Maslen is bad. He's just not — great.

Awards are PR, it's actually never been about quality. With so few shows, it's always going to be a choice many don't agree with. You have to pick the lesser (note not the least) evil, and the picks often fail in that respect.

Perhaps Royal Television Society or what's-it-called Award can be treated as a quality award, but I'm not sure anymore.

• Members

I would call Corrie grindingly mediocre, aside from some rough patches.

EE is pretty much the same these days, and has been since 2008. They benefit from the memory of how much worse they used to be...although even that may be down to awful press and focus on backstage feuding (2006 was awful but were 2004 and 2005 really that much worse than today's episodes?). They just do stunts with much more finesse than Corrie. Something like Who Killed Archie where you can ooh and aah over random characters standing around sneering at each other suspiciously, and ignore that the show makes up major details of the murder as it goes along, then drops the story altogether after about a month.

When the likes of Scott Maslen, Marc Elliot, or Robert Kazinsky win your acting awards, then that's basically saying that the best of your show never deserves to be rewarded. Eastenders has so many good actors who never get a look in. That's what I dislike the most with these awards.

• Members

And that's why I can't disagree with Lacey Turner winning all these awards, because she is very deserving of them, year after year. Yes, the writing for Stacey has done a serious hack job on the character at times, but if anything, Lacey has sold the hell out of EVERYTHING they throw at her. Not many actors can sell almost anything, like Lacey has.

Though, with her leaving at the end of this year, we won't have to worry about her dominating all the Best Actress awards again, or for at least a while.

• Members

Carl, I'd call Corrie a dull, plain straight line now.

EastEnders is just — fun. And I know you will disagree. There is something about the show, even when it was a blatant hack job, that's just fun, entertaining, especially when it comes to the latest stunt. Corrie just drags along, even when there is a stunt, it's terribly dark and sickening. Much more so than EastEnders. There is a big difference between these shows and that difference is the reason why Corrie is in the litter bin.

As for Alvin's post, bingo: these shows are always saved by great acting talent, which throught the years sold unbelievable junk.

In all of these, poor Emmerdale always gets forgotten. Which is a shame really, the show should receive more acclaim.

Archived