• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If I recall correctly, the two plotlines that NBC wouldn't eventually approve were (a) having a character actually receive an abortion and (b) gay bashing.

Stevie, and then Lettie, were inessential holders of an essential role -- the older and wiser female. Once the students got older, it made more sense to have the role be filled by Jaleesa, Whitley, Kim and Freddie (more or less in that order).

In hindsight, I wish Jaleesa would have left with Walter. Having Jaleesa be reduced to one scene per episode was pretty said. I don't know if Lewis and Sinbad quit or if they were fired.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Thanks for posting.

It was a good read but I admit, I would have traded all of the comments from Lena Waithe and anyone else not connected with the making of ADW for a couple of comments from Lisa Bonet (although I already figured that she would not be involved in this) or even one comment from Bonet and one from Tomei (did anyone try to contact Marisa? I don't think the article ever said.

Some of this information I already knew and some of confirmed or debunked things I'd heard. It was good to hear the actual account if events.

I remember feeling irritated and a bit sad when I saw that Martin and ADW were running opposite each other in the same time slot. Reminiscent of what I read about The Cosby Show and Charlie And Company. With as few sitcoms with majority black casts as there were back then, somehow networks always found a way to run them in direct competition.

Did you ever see this? 

I think someone posted that episode on YouTube. It was Unsung Hollywood. Far from comprehensive but makes for interesting viewing.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

No Problem!!! 

I could've done without Lena Waithe's comments too. Curious did they try to contact Marisa too? I wonder did they also try to get Jada Pinkett Smith for any comments too?

It seems Dawnn Lewis missed having a smaller cast and seemed disappointed by the time she left it was 14 principal characters. 

I've been trying to look for it but I never can find it. If anyone can get to it please feel free to post it if you can. Thanks!!! 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Hot Take(?): With frickin' Punky Brewster and Head of the Class getting Peacock streaming revivals, ADW is more than worthy and necessary. Cast turnover was already baked into the show, particularly in the final season; it could've run another five or six years.

Edited by Vee