Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

OLTL: Jean Passanante joins writing team

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,146 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

Why do soaps always recycle the same writers who got fired/got other show's cancelled to do any eually as bad job on the next? I never got we always see the same names

#22 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

F***.

I will always associate her with Gillian Andrassy, one of my favorite soap characters, being shot in the head as she was about to leave on her dream honeymoon. It was just a vile exit for such a lovely presence. Her AMC tenure was shockingly bad. She put a black man in a cage and had him raised to basically think of himself as a dog.

That's not even getting into what she did to Adam on ATWT, among many others.

When she was at OLTL the last time around the show was extremely generic and boring - that was 1996/early 1997.

In some odd way this probably means OLTL is not in danger yet, as I think they would have just let Ron stay as headwriter and wrap things up. But it still sucks.

Jeanne's presence only guarantees cancellation. May I ask which black character was caged? I cringe just reading that.

Thanks!
Andrea

#23 bellcurve

bellcurve

Inactive?

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Weren't some OLTL fans laughing about Kreizman/Swajeski joining AMC as Head Writers?! :unsure:

My how the tables have turned.

Jeanne's presence only guarantees cancellation. May I ask which black character was caged? I cringe just reading that.

Thanks!
Andrea

Gabriel Devane, a long lost relative of Alex, Anna, and Aidan.

#24 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,146 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Weren't some OLTL fans laughing about Kreizman/Swajeski joining AMC as Head Writers?! :unsure:

My how the tables have turned.

Gabriel Devane, a long lost relative of Alex, Anna, and Aidan.

Dog boy. How long was he on the show before he even said a word? He had one of the worst intros ever

#25 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

LOL Hey, I did say it was on a more personal level. Most think that JP's entire run was horrific, so I accept that I'm in a very, very small minority who thought otherwise for a few months.

No, no, the sure wasn't ironic. I agreed with you. :)

What you're saying is true, though, it's ridiculous. The simple fact that mental institutions are sometimes regular settings on some of these shows is just nuts (pun either intended or not intended depending on your preference). It's not even that the characters are throwed off that's the problem. If a soap were to examine the psychological aspects of the crazy [!@#$%^&*] these characters do, and I mean really really examine it all, not missing a single beat or important point, then that would GREAT. It would be fantastic. That'd make for a great anthology soap, set it in an institution and show each patient's story. But this stuff here that we get to see? A perfectly sane young man, a high school teacher for chrissakes, suddenly losing his mind and holding a woman hostage in a cabin? Are you serious? When did he even go crazy?

And I'm supposed to believe that Jean Passanante is going to ruin that great legacy? JP wrote some pure garbage on ATWT, yes, but her stuff was never THAT ridiculous. Never!

Ed Lover, get in here and utter your catch phrase.

And there you go. Miraculous potions that make people fall in love with you, spectacular, unbelievably successful plastic surgery that makes you look like an exact clone of someone else (starting from height and weight to the minute details), black people in cages thinking they are dogs, burning fetuses... And the obsessivness of it all!!!

Stuff a manual in psychopathology is made of. Actually, scratch that. These new mental states haven't even been 'invented' yet.

#26 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

In some odd way this probably means OLTL is not in danger yet, as I think they would have just let Ron stay as headwriter and wrap things up. But it still sucks.

ITA. From ABC's perspective, this may be OLTL's final chance to turn things around. Same goes for the new headwriting team at AMC. I can't see any major turnarounds occurring on either soap and I think the same about GH. The overall viewership and demos of the three ABC soaps are steadily declining. It is just a matter of trying to slow down the inevitable. ABC must be working busily brainstorming replacement programming.

#27 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Stuff a manual in psychopathology is made of. Actually, scratch that. These new mental states haven't even been 'invented' yet.

That's makes it cutting edge! Daytime's always been at forefront of hot new social issues.

Poor Irna is turning in her grave. All they wanted was a daily serial about a family. And look at where we're at now.

#28 bellcurve

bellcurve

Inactive?

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Dog boy. How long was he on the show before he even said a word? He had one of the worst intros ever

I forgot. But I absolutely loved Eric Dearborn's chemistry with Eden Riegel and Erica trying to hook them up.

I remember the whole "pate" thing, when Bianca set up a picnic for the both of them and he just tore into everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish they would have kept the character on, at least as a friend to Bianca until they found a more suitable love interest(other than boring ass Rosa).

Edited by bellcurve, 02 April 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#29 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

That's makes it cutting edge! Daytime's always been at forefront of hot new social issues.

:lol:

Poor Irna is turning in her grave. All they wanted was a daily serial about a family. And look at where we're at now.

It's really tragic. Tragically tragic.

#30 DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 14,407 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

Daily serials about people turning in their graves.

#31 Leia

Leia

Contract

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

Someone explain why she's not good for the show to the rest of us, please.

Thank you. I have no idea what this means.

#32 Adam

Adam

ALL MY CHILDREN: 1970-2011, 2013-present

• Members
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

#33 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Well she will be HW soon.

It's a shame.

Passanante killed ATWT.

Kreizman killed GL.

And they both get two new shows to ruin.

OLTL is screwed.

RIP :(

#34 MichaelGL

MichaelGL

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

Last time Jean wrote for the show (As Co-Head Writer around 1996-1997) the show for some fans, became completely unwatchable, plagued by long drawn out plot driven stories. Her tenure at AMC was 10x worse, including a story where a young man was kept in a cage and convinced into thinking he was a dog. Other stories include drugging a bunch of people on a yacht and having them act rather odd and killing a bride(Well liked by the fans) on the day she was to depart on her honeymoon, just to name a few. Her next stop would be ATWT, where she started off rather good, but as time progressed her stories became quite plot driven, and at times done simply out of shock value (OMG Paul is presumed dead. OMG Paul is presumed dead YET AGAIN!).

I think for most this spells bad news because it definitely isn't seen as bringing on talent, but more as someone who will only continue the mess we're seeing on our tv screens now, if not make things worse.

#35 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Jean Passanante is a hack of legend. Not good.

That being said, if Sylph could possibly move his latest off-topic stream of consciousness about how nobody should watch modern daytime and we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not being as brilliant as him, another long-time poster on Soap Opera Network, to some other part of the board, then maybe we could stick to the actual thread topic.

Edited by Vee, 02 April 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#36 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Apparently, this surfaced in The Directors and Writers Thread, she has a reputation of being "crazy". Whatever that means.

I've heard a lot about Jean Passanante, but this was never an adjective used to describe her.

Who knows, though...

#37 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

LMAO the thread hasn't even gone off topic.

#38 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Via Y&RWorldTurner:

http://sn.soapnet.go...ne-life-to-live

#39 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

You never see these types of reports for staff writer changes. It's damn strange, and adds more fuel to the speculation that she'll be OLTL's next HW, IMO.

#40 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Of all the people on this Earth, of all the possible horrid choices, they pick Jean Passanante (probably because she is "familiar" with the show :rolleyes:).

I don't get their reasoning, and she probably costs more than Carlivati. In which case, if they wanted someone "expensive", it is strange they did not pick Lynn Latham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users