OLTL: Jean Passanante joins writing team

158 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarlD2' date='02 April 2010 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1270226420' post='822705']In some odd way this probably means OLTL is not in danger yet, as I think they would have just let Ron stay as headwriter and wrap things up. But it still sucks.[/quote]
ITA. From ABC's perspective, this may be OLTL's final chance to turn things around. Same goes for the new headwriting team at AMC. I can't see any major turnarounds occurring on either soap and I think the same about GH. The overall viewership and demos of the three ABC soaps are steadily declining. It is just a matter of trying to slow down the inevitable. ABC must be working busily brainstorming replacement programming.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Sylph' date='02 April 2010 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1270228875' post='822736']Stuff a manual in psychopathology is made of. Actually, scratch that. These new mental states haven't even been 'invented' yet.[/quote]

That's makes it cutting edge! Daytime's always been at forefront of hot new social issues.

Poor Irna is turning in her grave. All they wanted was a daily serial about a family. And look at where we're at now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

[quote name='Cheap21' date='02 April 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1270228857' post='822734']
Dog boy. How long was he on the show before he even said a word? He had one of the worst intros ever
[/quote]
I forgot. But I absolutely loved Eric Dearborn's chemistry with Eden Riegel and Erica trying to hook them up.

I remember the whole "pate" thing, when Bianca set up a picnic for the both of them and he just tore into everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish they would have kept the character on, at least as a friend to Bianca until they found a more suitable love interest(other than boring ass Rosa). Edited by bellcurve

Posted · Report post

[quote name='All My Shadows' date='02 April 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1270229000' post='822739']
That's makes it cutting edge! Daytime's always been at forefront of hot new social issues.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='All My Shadows' date='02 April 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1270229000' post='822739']Poor Irna is turning in her grave. All they wanted was a daily serial about a family. And look at where we're at now.
[/quote]

It's really tragic. Tragically tragic.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='All My Shadows' date='02 April 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1270229000' post='822739']
Poor Irna is turning in her grave. All they wanted was a daily serial about a family. And look at where we're at now.
[/quote]

Daily serials about people turning in their graves.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='alexisfan07' date='02 April 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1270225543' post='822693']
Someone explain why she's not good for the show to the rest of us, please.
[/quote]
Thank you. I have no idea what this means.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='DeeeDee' date='02 April 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1270228191' post='822724']
[img]http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/nbc-logo.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
:lol:

Posted · Report post

Well she will be HW soon.

It's a shame.

Passanante killed ATWT.

Kreizman killed GL.

And they both get two new shows to ruin.

OLTL is screwed.

RIP :(

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Leia' date='02 April 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1270229401' post='822745']
[/quote]
Last time Jean wrote for the show (As Co-Head Writer around 1996-1997) the show for some fans, became completely unwatchable, plagued by long drawn out plot driven stories. Her tenure at AMC was 10x worse, including a story where a young man was kept in a cage and convinced into thinking he was a dog. Other stories include drugging a bunch of people on a yacht and having them act rather odd and killing a bride(Well liked by the fans) on the day she was to depart on her honeymoon, just to name a few. Her next stop would be ATWT, where she started off rather good, but as time progressed her stories became quite plot driven, and at times done simply out of shock value (OMG Paul is presumed dead. OMG Paul is presumed dead YET AGAIN!).

I think for most this spells bad news because it definitely isn't seen as bringing on talent, but more as someone who will only continue the mess we're seeing on our tv screens now, if not make things worse.

Jean Passanante is a hack of legend. Not good.

That being said, if [b]Sylph[/b] could possibly move his latest off-topic stream of consciousness about how nobody should watch modern daytime and we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not being as brilliant as him, another long-time poster on Soap Opera Network, to some other part of the board, then maybe we could stick to the actual thread topic. Edited by Vee

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Leia' date='02 April 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1270229401' post='822745']
[/quote]

Apparently, this surfaced in The Directors and Writers Thread, she has a reputation of being "crazy". Whatever that means.

I've heard a lot about Jean Passanante, but this was never an adjective used to describe her.

Who knows, though...

Posted · Report post

LMAO the thread hasn't even gone off topic.

Posted · Report post

Via [b]Y&RWorldTurner[/b]:

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/news/article/jean-passanante-joins-one-life-to-live

Posted · Report post

You never see these types of reports for staff writer changes. It's damn strange, and adds more fuel to the speculation that she'll be OLTL's next HW, IMO.

Posted · Report post

Of all the people on this Earth, of all the possible horrid choices, they pick Jean Passanante (probably because she is "familiar" with the show :rolleyes:).

I don't get their reasoning, and she probably costs more than Carlivati. In which case, if they wanted someone "expensive", it is strange they did not pick Lynn Latham.

Posted · Report post

RIP OLTL

[quote]This industry is hysterical. Preside over the doom of a soap, you are automatically rewarded with a new headwriting gig at one of the remaining soaps. [b]I need to find a career where failure is rewardedp[/b] [/quote]

I hear ABC is hiring ;)

Posted · Report post

If she becomes head writer soon, I'll quit watching. I like Ron's vision.

Posted · Report post

[quote]You never see these types of reports for staff writer changes. It's damn strange, and adds more fuel to the speculation that she'll be OLTL's next HW, IMO.[/quote]
I don't think it's strange. Sometimes, "big name" soap writers who join the writing staff of a show are covered in the press. Having been the HW of ATWT for many years, JP certainly fits the "big name" bill.

You have to wonder if it would be reported at all, had Toups not leaked it yesterday.

It's certainly a story though that a soap HW accepted a lower AHW position at a competing soap. As Khan mention in the writers/directors thread, we expected her to land somewhere as HW immediately rather than a staff writer. Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

Posted · Report post

And Jean looks like JFP's fat sister in the SoapNet article pic. :ph34r: :lol: :ph34r:

Posted · Report post

She and AMC's new writers are going to run out of soaps sooner or later.

OLTL is TOAST and AMC is next!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Y&RWorldTurner' date='02 April 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1270238457' post='822813']
It's certainly a story though that a soap HW accepted a lower AHW position at a competing soap. As Khan mention in the writers/directors thread, we expected her to land somewhere as HW immediately rather than a staff writer.
[/quote]

And where [u][i]exactly[/i][/u] did you two expect her to land? In this shrinking market already full of hacks? :P

This is like when someone joins as a consultant — you just know he or she will be the next head writer. She secured a job really quickly, months in advance. And it's not a competing soap — it can't be when it got cancelled.

I always thought she would retire. Silly me.

[quote name='Sylph' date='02 April 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1270238894' post='822818']
And where [u][i]exactly[/i][/u] did you two expect her to land? In this shrinking market already full of hacks? :P[/quote]
Land at OLTL as HW immediately, not AHW. :P

I honestly think ABC is done supporting Carlivati (if they ever supported him to begin with and tired of the show's tanking demos and ratings). They already hired Kreizman/Swajeski for AMC, so it would be no surprise if they hire another hack from a canceled PGP soap.

[quote]This is like when someone joins as a consultant — you just know he or she will be the next head writer. She secured a job really quickly, months in advance. And it's not a competing soap — it can't be when it got cancelled.

I always thought she would retire. Silly me.[/quote]
This is of course a likely possibility too. Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

Posted · Report post

[quote]

It's certainly a story though that a soap HW accepted a lower AHW position at a competing soap. As Khan mention in the writers/directors thread, we expected her to land somewhere as HW immediately rather than a staff writer. [/quote]

I dunno why, I have a feeling they're putting her as AHW to prep her to take over for RC. I think RC is a goner, maybe by the summer.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bellcurve' date='02 April 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1270229027' post='822740']
I forgot. But I absolutely loved Eric Dearborn's chemistry with Eden Riegel and Erica trying to hook them up.

I remember the whole "pate" thing, when Bianca set up a picnic for the both of them and he just tore into everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish they would have kept the character on, at least as a friend to Bianca until they found a more suitable love interest(other than boring ass Rosa).
[/quote]

That was there chance to make Binks straight. As for Rosa her problem was they hired a 30 year old to play her. The actress plays the ADA on LAw@Order!