The Lady Gaga Thread

• Members

Her most bizarre creation yet, not that you would expect any less from Gaga....

Product placement EVERYWHERE! Virgin and PlentyofFish.com lol. Also the Pussywagon of Kill Bill fame makes an appearance.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by Adam

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Once again, Lady Gaga trying to prove she's so hardcore and different, when she's not. Needless to say, this video is everything I hate about her and her made-up image.

I hate the song too. Beyonce has always annoyed me as well.

Jonas Akerlund is a great director though, and I've liked him for years.

• Members

What was so great about the Bad Roamance video? I'm so tired of hearing that! I thought the dancing was terrible and so cheesy. It was decent, but not as good as people make out. Now Telephone on the other hand is FAB! I love Beyonce and she killed it once again. It was giving me Destiny's Child flashbacks, seeing her perform with someone else.

• Members

I like it, for the most part. To me it's her most disappointing video in a while (and I'm getting sick of the Gaga/poison thing) but it has some fun moments, the product placement is so over the top it's almost parody, and there's no one else making as interesting mainstream videos right now, so I give her props for that. Poor Beyonce seems a bit out of her element.

• Members

This video was just all over the place and there really wasn't any consistency. It was basically, "How much weird, random sh*t can we put in the video?"

There should have been an actual story and way more choreography in this, especially for a song that has such a fierce hook and beat.

I was especially disappointed because I was totally looking forward to the Telephone video.

• Members

It's junk because, to take a line from Shaffer's Amadeus, young woman is trying to impress beyond her abilities.

It's such a bad farce full of random [!@#$%^&*] and garbage, all pumped in to the max, one is assaulted with TRASH! in every second of the video.

It's not a problem to be "non-conventional". The true greatness lies in being fabulous and innovative while obeying the conventions. If she made a nice, classic, not-trying-to-be-"art" video and if that was fabulous, she would've gotten the A grade. This is just embarrassing.

• Administrator

I liked it! I love Lady Gaga videos because they're visually stunning with the colours, the costumes, the sets, the props (best one was the cigarette glasses. I thought that was way cool. LOL). I always look forward to her videos.

Most videos of other artists don't even try anymore and the videos are very generic.

• Members

It is a sad statement of the times when Madonna hasn't even attempted to make an interesting video in over 5 years... (and HASN'T made an interesting one in far longer...) So I do appreciate that people get excited about Gaga's videos, when they'll premier, etc and it is bringing some interest back to the dead genre.

That said, I think Gaga (and Ackerlund, no slouch when it comes to classier and better videos) would herself say it was meant to be trash--it's very much in the LaChappelle style (which is kinda played out by now, but...)

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Is Madonna kaputt? :unsure: As a singer, persona, phenomenon? Are we done there? She peaked a looooooooooong time ago and we're done?

I believe so.

On top of that, she has become waaay to snobbish and pretentious and b!tchy without much to cover it with.

Edited by Sylph

• Members

The music video is dead. MTV doesn't play them anymore, and they're no longer an important marketing tool in the music industry. It's not the 80's and 90's anymore.

It's all about getting radio airplay if you want exposure. In a way, things reverted back to radio when it came to making it in the music industry, but radio importance never really went away anyway.

Music videos as an important marketing tool ended about 10 years ago.

• Members

I won't disagree with any of that--I used to think at the least she always would do a good live show, but after how good Confessions was as a concert, to do the awful mishmash she did with her Sticky and Sweet tour (regardless of the fact it promoted a dull album) was I admit a bit of a shock to me.

But my point was, you used to be able to depend on Madonna to at least attempt to do an ambitious video. She's still (no matter how half heartedly or with mixed results) trying to do new music genres, etc--yet the fact that she herself, who was madeby videos, seemed to lose any real interest in them 6+ years back seemed telling to me. (then again her last ambitious video--the runway models with war one for American Life was banned, something she oddly never fought, and with that she seemed to lose any interest in the medium)

Yes and no--youtube and other online sources has made a big change again. Certainly a lot of Gaga's sustained success has been partly due to word of mouth from her videos--