A song that gives you a soap memory

• Members

We all know about "Rise" and "Think of Laura", and the songs used for supercouples in their 80s heyday, and those are important, but I was also wondering about some of the songs that weren't staples, just used once, and yet struck a chord with you in regards to a soap moment. That every time you hear this song, you remember when it was used on a soap.

Off the top of my head, those moments for me are:

- "Donna (the Prima Donna)". John Hudson heard this on the car radio on AW in 1987 and flashed back to his teen years with Donna Love.

- "Inseparable". Poor, crazy Nicole Love heard this song while in front of her mirror and fantasized about her wedding dress and her wedding dance with Cass Winthrop (which was not to be...).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, this might seem kinda funny, but the iconic '60s song "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield -- I always think of a particular scene featuring Julia & Noah (circa 1994). Julia was hiding out at Noah's ghetto apartment after the tornado. They played this song when there was a gang shooting at Noah's (drug deal gone wrong ?), and Noah made Julia hide in the bath tub. As the bullets were flying, they played the song. Does anyone else remember this? LOL!

• Members

I guess Madonna's flannel shirt for her cowboy video a few years later must have been an homage to that dipstick falling out of the tree...

Was that song used for Pierce 3/Brooke, or Edmund/Maria? I have some memory of that.

• Members

Anytime I hear "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here" by Deborah Cox it reminds me of Days circa 1998 when Bo and Greta infiltrated some foreign club to get the goods on Princess Gina, LoL. I recall that song playing as they entered the club and thinking how un-Days like it was to actually hear real music for a change.

• Members

"Cruise control" by The Headless Chickens, a New Zealand song that was played in the background at some point in what seemed like every episode of Neighbours and Home and Away between 1993 and 1996.

"Up where we belong" for Roman and Marlena (my memory is not too clear on the specific moments it was used but i've always associated it with Days)

and of course

"Tonight I Celebrate My Love" for Bo and Hope (again my memory is not too clear but I do remember it being used a lot)

• Members

Was that when Carrie and Austin went to a Stones concert (which amounted to pre-taped footage from a recent Stones concert)? I imagine Sami would be the groupie from hell.

That's neat. You do get used to the muzak. It's like on Dark Shadows and how bewildering it was to see Carolyn turn on the radio and suddenly "Theme from A Man and a Woman" starts up, not Blue Whale Ditty #3.

• Members

I think that was around the same time, so... probably? I just remember everyone onlinegoing on about how it was prob cuz Disney now owned ABC and the film was from Hollywood Studios (remember that Disney subsidary?)

As someone who loves club music, the random generic club music you hear in, for instance CONfusion on AMC drives me CRAZY. Peyton Place also uses a lot of real music on the radio etc (but I think it was all stuff owned by Fox--Love is a Many Splendoured Theme has been one--a few years before the daytime soap) Actually PP has a superb score anyway, which seems often composed live for each episode--surely a rarity for such a constant series.

• Members

"When I Fall In Love" by Clive Griffin and Celine...When DAYS' Bo/Hope make love for the first time since she was presumed dead.

"Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" by B.I.G....When GH's Liz Webber was smoking a cigarette and ordering pizza on Audrey's Credit Card on a hot June afternoon.

"Run" by Collective Soul...When PC's Lucy walks out on Scott for not bringing Christina home.

"State of Grace" during Christina's custody hearing on PC.

"Smooth" by Santana because I remember it during the PC Year 2000 Montage.

"I Kissed a Girl" by Jill Sobule because of Bianca being found in the dyke dive by Greenlee.

"The Greatest Give of All" by Michelle Wright and Jim Brickman because it was the first song Ben/Meg danced to as Husband/Wife.

"Mad World" cover by Glambert because of Jill.

"Adagio for Strings" because, post-Platoon, it's been played on every single soap opera except Tribes.

Plenty of others that I could probably bore you with. But won't.

• Members

They used that for a montage on GH too, but I can't remember for who... I also remember "Shoop" from the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack, again, cannot remember for who. I do however remember Patti Austin and James Ingram's "Baby, Come to Me" for a Luke and Holly love scene as a child.

"Tears From Heaven", little Anna Claire's funeral on AMC. :( After Erica gave Gloria Mona's bible and left the service, there was one of the best Erica/Dimitri scenes ever.

• Members

To this day, I cannot hear Katrina and the Waves' "Walkin' On Sunshine" without automatically thinking of Kurt and Mindy on GL in '85 and their "Day of Fun," which culminated in watching "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" at a drive-in movie theater in a convertible with the top down during a downpour. Good times.

Others, off the top of my head:

Springsteen's "Out in the Street" as sung by Lujack and IQ for Lujack's record and video.

Teddy Pendergrass' "This Time is Ours" and the theme from "The Thorn Birds," which were used for Beth and Lujack during his trial and incarceration for the murder of Andy Ferris. During that bleak time, these took the place of their usual song, "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson.

Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is," which was used the first time Beth and Lujack made love, while hiding out on Kyle Sampson's yacht after they broke him out of prison. "Jailhouse Rock," sung by Lujack at the prison talent show just before he broke out.

"God Bless the Child" as sung by IQ, played by Jaison Walker, at Lujack's funeral.

"Send in the Clowns" as sung by Mindy while she and Rick were working at the circus themed restaurant to make money during the 4 Musketeers' NYC arc.

Archived