HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Arya is dead or close to being dead inside. Her main emotional outlet is The Hound, and as she learns over and over, he's not someone who can give her the support she needs. Her behavior with the old man (where she struggled to respond to most of what he was saying) and the casual way she killed that guy from the cage (I don't think she was wrong to kill him, but she handled it so offhandedly, like putting up a front) make me wary. She essentially had the same non-reaction to both very different deaths. I also kept wondering if they'd intentionally had an actor in that role who looked like a depraved Ned Stark. Arya was essentially killing her father to move forward.

The guy who played the old man has been in a lot of stuff, including Waiting for Godot (which is fitting for this show...).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569547/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I've heard some people say those Dragonstone scenes were redundant and only existed to show some T&A, but they were so rich, for the reasons you mention. Great insights in your post.

Book spoilers about Lysa and Petyr.

I do hope someone asks Bronn what he did with Shae.

I can't say enough how much more engaged i am with Tyrion now that the wall (he's so funny, he's so much smarter than everyone else, etc.) has been torn down and we're seeing all those years of pent up emotions and helplessness. Peter Dinklage is playing the hell out of them.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I didn't see a Ned thing. And I don't think she struggled to respond to the dying man, but she was very matter of fact. While she has learned to kill, and come to enjoy her revenge, she's also spent much of this year and last year fighting the Hound on pointless cruelty. So her character, to me, remains on a tightrope. I hardly see a sociopath when I look at Arya.

• Members

They get her just fine, this is Cersei. I am not sure what wrongs her dead husband did to her outside of your typical loveless marriage one sees in stories. The show doesn't address this but that loveless marriage was a two way street and Robert wasn't the only one having kids out of wedlock.

• Members

My problem with Cersei characterization is when they have things like the sept scene and we get no reaction from her. I also wish we got into her head more often. In this last episode we heard that she abused Tyrion as a child and she wants him dead, and I do think they've set up the basics (oppressed and oppressive, feels alienated and lost, is sadistic but still yearning for something, etc.), but I just want more from her directly. Her relationship with Jaime in particular makes no real sense to me this season. Is she over him? We haven't heard anything from her about that since the start of the season.

Baby names. 15 babies named Theon. I actually think Theon is a cool name, but putting that name on a baby is just sort of tempting fate...

http://io9.com/popular-new-baby-names-of-2013-vanellope-kaptain-tuf-1577132388

http://time.com/103388/recap-game-of-thrones-mockingbird/

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'll just have to disagree with you on that part. Rarely have they shown shades of grey for the character IMO. Aside from the things regarding Joffrey she's either psychotic or cold blooded. Just very one note.

I honestly have fallen in love with a lot of the names in the show. Like I really want to name a son "Bran" or "Rickon" or most tempting....JAIME but I know its silly. "Sansa" and "Cersei" also strike me as cute. If by some miracle I have twins I don't know how I'm gonna resist Jaime and Cerse (may they forgive me one day haha).

• Members

Cersei has had endless, countless monologues about her lot in life for four seasons, all of them excellent and all of them nuanced and not reducing her to a caricature. They've shown us as much as they're going to of her inner life. The rest she intentionally leaves opaque. That's how she is.

Edited by Vee

• Members

She's had a lot of great monologues. I just hope we get one this season, instead of other characters describing her. We got her scenes with Margaery/Oberyn/Tywin, which was partially her, but also her performing for them.

• Members

Carice van Houten interview. She talks a little about upcoming events, vaguely. This is in line with some of what Vee has talked about with the Dragonstone group, so I'm happy about that.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/05/red-priestess-game-of-thrones-interview.html

NCW interview. I should warn this talks a little about the sept scene.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/05/game-of-thrones-nikolaj-coster-waldau.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

These next three episodes will be unbelievable (assuming they'll do the things I think they will)! I seriously can't wait. If you are unspoiled/non-book readers, prepare yourselves. Boy must you ever. biggrin.png

Edited by YRBB