Sylph

HBO: Game of Thrones

2,134 posts in this topic

I like Finn Jones well enough, I can understand that it sucks to have your show panned and face a lot of personal backlash, and I certainly agree that critics have no particular merit these days (especially those who suddenly claim to object to a white savior narrative that is stamped all over their other Marvel favorites), but someone in PR really needs to ask him to just please stop talking.

http://www.avclub.com/article/finn-jones-says-critics-just-dont-get-iron-fist-251964

Yeah, I think the show is probably not great (the showrunner choice was a poor one) but I also think there was an ingrained need to attack it online based on some pointless Internet groundswell to re-create the Danny Rand character as Asian. That being said, he is making a fool of himself.

Edited by Vee

16 minutes ago, Vee said:

Yeah, I think the show is probably not great (the showrunner choice was a poor one) but I also think there was an ingrained need to attack it online based on some pointless Internet groundswell to re-create the Danny Rand character as Asian. That being said, he is making a fool of himself.

I tend to wonder how many put up with Daredevil (which is essentially a generic white man mixed up in "mysterious" other cultures) expecting some big departure for Iron Fist. Ultimately I'd say there are other genres that will have this but Marvel Fu isn't one of them.

Sorry, I know this is off topic for GoT. The only thing I heard about that show recently is an item about Ed Sheeran being on it, which...yeah. Good for his fans I guess. 

Finn brought a lot of the backlash onto himself. Had he left well enough alone the drama would've passed a lot quicker.

I guess that explains why the scene was so poorly done Gwendoline Christie had to go out and tell viewers that Stannis was actually dead. 

I still can't believe someone got an Emmy for any of that.

Gemma Whalen (Yara) talks her audition on Graham Norton:

Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) on Kimmel:

Edited by Vee

A friend wrote about GRRM's alleged original plans for ASOIAF, which I'm glad did not occur. Spoiler-tagged just in case:

-Daenerys, instead of taking Drogo's side in killing Viserys, eventually murders Drogo in revenge. While this makes her a pariah among the Dothraki, she would somehow regain their favor and eventually invade Westeros with her horde in A Dance with Dragons.

-The summary of Bran's arc implies that magic is more commonplace or at least significantly different from its portrayal in the final version of the series.

-Ned manages to help Catelyn and Arya escape from King's Landing to Winterfell before his execution.

-Sansa marries Joffrey, has his child and chooses him over her parents and siblings, a decision she comes to regret.

-Tyrion becomes close friends with both Sansa and Arya, and eventually falls in love with the latter.

-Robb maims Joffrey on the battlefield, only to later die in battle.

-Tyrion besieges and burns Winterfell.

-Benjen is Lord Commander of the Night's Watch until Jon Snow takes the mantle.

-Following Tyrion taking Winterfell, Catelyn, Bran and Arya go to the Wall for refuge. However, they are turned away due to the Watch's vow of neutrality, which bitterly estranges Bran and Jon. Arya realizes she has fallen in love with Jon. Afterwards, Catelyn and her children try to find refuge beyond the Wall, only be captured by Mance Rayder. Catelyn is later killed by an Other.

-The Others have a second type of minion alongside the wights, called "neverborn". Whatever these are is not elaborated upon.

-Tyrion removes Joffrey from the throne. Jaime takes the throne by killing everyone else in the line of succession and frames Tyrion for the murders, resulting in his exile. Tyrion then teams up with the Starks to remove him from power, though he and Jon have a Love Triangle regarding Arya. Arya for her part angsts over Jon until the final book "reveals his parentage".